Menu

What's with the ads?

Paradox5

Cloth Diapers

I have spent the better part of today and serveral other days researching these and driving myself up the wall. DH is totally gungho for doing it. He loves the GroVia Hybrids with the No Prep liners and BioLiners for later on. The boys are all grossed out. DD thinks we should because "They are just so cute!" and she saw me looking at disposible diaper reviews in which one was showing the red marks on a baby's leg from the diaper. She then declared that was not for our Baby!

My questions are:

Do they really save you money even factoring in higher water/electric bill costs? What about needing special soap (though the GroVia site says regular TIDE is fine.)?

Are they really any more work (besides the laundry) than disposibles?

Do they stink up your house before washing?

What about baby clothes fitting right? Do you need to go up in size to accomodate the cute fluffy diaper butt?

Are the one size diapers bulky in the front when using the small settings? How do you get the inseerts to fit?

I read you can only leave them on for like an hour than they are soaked through. DO you end up using more in a day than you would if you were using disposibles?

What about traveling? What about leaks? We are having a boy. Are cloth diapers more suited for girls?

I know most of ya'll like prefolds and covers or pockets but DH isn't going for those. I also know can count on The Hive for honest advice or just the good ole' slap upside the head and get a grip on yourself kind of thing.

editing for errors...

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1

I know lots of folks use cloth diapers successfully and wouldn't do it any other way. There are many brands and varieties out there and I, like you, researched them all and bought a nice stash.

Reality: Our cloth diaper experience lasted less than 24 hours. After the first blowout, I stood there with this vile thing in my hand, tempted to toss it in the trash, wondering what on earth I was thinking when I decided to go that route.

It's been disposables for us ever since.

Sorry, no help here.

• Like 4

I mainly cloth diapered four kiddos and did not find it so much more work.  I used rice paper liners so I could throw the solids straight into the toilet.  The diaper went into a big bucket (with a lid) with a little detergent.  When the bucket was full, I did a load of diapers.  I used regular detergent and line dried.  I did use disposables when we were out of the house for longer periods of time; I didn't mind lugging around one or two dirty diapers (I put them in a sealed plastic bag) but more than that was not on my agenda.  For us it was cheap because these were the diapers that my mother used on me so they were free.  One or two extra loads of laundry per week didn't break the bank either particular with our washer.  However, circumstances and thresholds are different for different people.  None of my kids ever had a diaper rash except for one and he was quite sick at the time.

• Like 4

I did cloth with some and disposable with some. The cloth kids had much healthier fannies and potty trained much earlier. However, I only had one in diapers at one time at that point. I bailed when I had two at one time and mostly used disposables. Yes, for only one kid, it was worth the extra hassle. 

• Like 1

They save a ton of money (unless you buy super expensive diapers, I guess).  You can look up some stats on the internet; it is significant.  Tide is not only fine but preferred. The natural laundry soaps (that aren't detergents) don't clean well enough for diapers, ime.

For us, they are no more work.  We do a million loads of laundry a week so 2-3 extra loads a week is just not any trouble.  However, we do only fitted cotton diapers, so we can wash on hot and tumble dry.  Line drying or separating the diaper parts and putting them back together or whatever would probably be a huge hassle.  The ones we use are as easy to use as disposables (they are cotton diapers shaped like a disposable with snaps instead of the disposable's velcro/tape stuff).

I find the whole thing less stinky than disposables in the trash.  We rinse out solids (or dump) right away, on the way to the diaper pail. Then they're in the diaper pail (bag actually) until it is time to put the whole thing in the laundry.

Clothes fitting is a huge PITA.  You have to either find trim diapers (we use Elbees and thin wool covers) or go up a size (and they're too long) or just use CD bottoms (we use wool shorties and longies and diaper covers maybe 90% of the time).

I have had like 2 one size fitted diapers; I hate them.  They are weird and bulky and have all of these useless extra snaps on the front and I just don't like them.  I prefer sized diapers.  

My kid does not pee through a diaper every hour.  That would be 24 a day!  We do go through 3-4 more diapers per day than we did with disposables.  It doesn't bother me.  

When we do a long travel I bring disposables.  You can get a wool pad for the mattress that protects the real mattress from leaks but we have not had any leaks with wool covers and fitteds (often I let DS go around in just the fitted, though, so I'm careful then to change him before I put him on the bed or whatever, as there is no wetness protection there).  We have a son and it is fine.  He had reached the point where he could take off disposables (or pull them down and pee out of the top), so this works better.

Pockets sound like a terrible idea.  I don't know who these people are who have time for pockets.  Prefolds (or flats, which are the new cool thing in CD) are a pain too, for me.  I like something that is basically like a disposable, but without the plastic or bleach or cost.  So we do fitteds plus wool covers.  Couldn't be easier :)

They are exceptionally cute.

• Like 3

I did not find it more work to cloth diaper. It was not hard to do diaper laundry and was easier to put away then the rest of the laundry. I actually liked that I did not have to worry about running out to buy diapers. I kept them in a closed wet bag between loads and it did not stink up the house. They definitely saved me money. It did not effect the electricity bill much at all. I did probably change a little more often then with disposables but it was not a big deal. I even dabbled in EC if I checked and they were dry and it had been a while I offered them a little potty. I did not even put much effort into that but I do think changing when they got wet and offering the potty helped when it came to potty training. They all were out if diapers early and it was a painless process.

I used a combo of fitted and pre fitted with covers or wool pants and pockets. I used pockets when I was going out of the house. My kids fit in clothes with the cloth diapers even with the extra fluffy butt.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 3

It's been 20 years, but I used cloth diapers and didn't think it was a big deal at all.  You just get used to it.  I started with a service, which I think was a great way to start.  You don't have to rinse or anything.  You just throw everything into a sealed pail and they pick them up once a week.  Eventually I moved on to doing them myself, and I sometimes had three in diapers at once.

Twenty years ago, it was just old-fashioned cloth diapers with the rubber pants to go around them, and it was very easy.  I'd either throw them directly into the diaper pail or toss them in the toilet to soak a bit til I had a chance to swish them around, and then throw them into the pail.

I don't think it ever occurred to me that clothes were tighter or more difficult to put on with the cloth.  

We did use disposable when we traveled though.  I drew the line there.

• Like 2

It's been 5 years since I last cloth diapered. I didn't find it much harder than disposables. With a massive zippered wetbag (PUL liner bag) for the dirty diapers, there was no smell at all. I had a bigger one for at-home and a smaller one for the diaper bag when out and about. I'd bring about 3-5 extra diapers with me just in case.  And my kids didn't need to be changed every hour, more like every 2 1/2-3??? I didn't really do this by the clock though...more by age of kid and volume of food/liquid they were taking in. I used pockets b/c I liked the ability to stuff more for bedtime or nap. I used bamboo inserts, prefolds and microfiber towels from Costco for my heavier pee-er. I also used Snap-EZ for my high-rise skinny minnie oldest. I'd advise not spending too much $$ on cloth until you get an idea of your baby's body shape. Kids with chicken legs will leak out of certain brands. Have you seen the forum diaperswappers? That site really helped me get a handle on how to do things quickly. (I was thrust quickly by my ped into having to use cloth b/c dd1 was very allergic to disposables). A great $$ saver was re-using dd1's diapers with dd2! I also was able to sell all of it when we were done...made about $150 after using with 2 kids. It's estimated that you can save $3K on diapers if your kid uses them til the average age of potty training. Some people say that that isn't accurate b/c they got a ton of diapers for free at their baby shower, etc. *shrug* I never had a baby shower as our families were not pleased with either pregnancy. My friends were also still in college at the time and broke. Anyway...

We did have to go up a size in clothes but my kids were pretty tall for their age anyway so it wasn't a huge issue. Sometimes I'd even just use a little baby T-shirt and their cloth diaper for quick outings or around the house. Like a pp said, you could use woolies or shorties made for CD bottoms. There are tons of tutorials online to make your own by felting old wool sweaters and sewing the sleeves into pant legs. 

Also, when we traveled we'd still use cloth but dd1 had a disposable allergy and I was kind of in the groove for knowing what to do and how many I'd need with dd2, etc. My kids also potty trained fully, no accidents at 21 months (weirdly the same age for both!)

We used flat prefolds.

We saved money.

Our water and electric bills were not much higher.

The whole process was so much easier than expected,

Added bonus, we never had the reeking diaper pail/trash can that disposables (even taken out daily) had.

We used them to save money.

• Like 2

I put my 2 dds in cloth for the first oh say almost 2 years. This way I knew for sure that it would save money.

I used all in one and fitted. I had small, medium, and large. I don't think i had one size diaper. I think the all in one had the insert sewed in, so this took longer to dry. I'm pretty sure I like the fitted ones from fuzzibunz. Snaps in front. I just put the poop in the toilet, took out the insert and put them in the washer.

No leaks.

Did not stink up the house. I changed about 7- 9 (changed about every 2 hours) a day and put them in the washer. Did a load every night around dinner time.

For one child I did have to go up in size in clothes. She has bigger bone structure.

I used disposable at nights and when traveling. But on a play date, I just bought a plastic bag to put the dirty diaper in.

No diaper rash.

I had to use special detergent. It was a black and green bag. I like to say it was called rock or something like that.

The inserts just fit. Like putting a pillow in its case.

I did not have to buy a bucket or the sprayer.

I'm not familiar with the types of diapers you are referring to.

No it didn't stink up the house.

I bought enough for 2 days.

Since your kids are different ages than mine, you may have a different set up. I only spent about $350 (bought 24 diapers) in diapers, so yeah I think it saved me money. Just keep in mind that if one wants to save money, one has to stick with it.

Good luck.

Do they really save you money even factoring in higher water/electric bill costs? I saved money.  But it's totally possible to go way overboard buying cute dipes and end up spending more.  I started using cloth when DD7 was 2, and DD5 was a baby.  DS3 used cloth from the time he was born (other than a few weeks in newborn dipes we were gifted) We used mostly flips, or diapers I made, though we had a couple of random different ones thrown in.  Extra costs of water/electricity just weren't that much.  One thing I would do to cut down on the extra electric was hang the dipes to dry on the line whenever that was possible.

What about needing special soap (though the GroVia site says regular TIDE is fine.)? I would only use tide, and every so often put some bleach in.  Not bleach in every wash, but once a month or so

Are they really any more work (besides the laundry) than disposibles? I never felt like they were much more work at all.  However, the extra laundry can creep up on you a bit, especially the hanging out on the line

Do they stink up your house before washing?  Stink up the house?  No.  Can they start to stink, totally. 

What about baby clothes fitting right? Do you need to go up in size to accomodate the cute fluffy diaper butt? Sometimes.  Sometimes, cloth dipes are cute enough that the little ones can run around in just a diaper and a top and be super cute.

Are the one size diapers bulky in the front when using the small settings? How do you get the inseerts to fit? this wasn't really an issue for us.  We had the Flips on the smaller settings I never notieced any extra bulkiness and the inserts just seemed to fit right still.

I read you can only leave them on for like an hour than they are soaked through. DO you end up using more in a day than you would if you were using disposibles? This depends very much on the kid, the diaper, the baby's age, etc.

What about traveling? What about leaks? We are having a boy. Are cloth diapers more suited for girls?I don't think they are more suited to girls at all, I have used cloth with both.  Traveling, I have traveled with cloth and with sposies.  I just made sure to bring a big plastic bag to store used cloth in.  Leaks...they can happen with cloth or sposies, I always just had extra clothes regardless.

I know most of ya'll like prefolds and covers or pockets but DH isn't going for those. I also know can count on The Hive for honest advice or just the good ole' slap upside the head and get a grip on yourself kind of thing.

I actually preferred all in ones most of the time.  Just easier than trying to stuff pockets and it's all together.  When the laundry is done, just fold and put away.  Those are the ones I made.  The only thing is, they would take FOR-EVAH to dry. 

• Like 2

We used prefolds and vinyl pants...and pins. This was after using flat, biodegradable disposables with covers.I switched to cloth bc they were less expensive. With child #1, we had laundry outside the house, so a service was great. With #2, we had our own washer and dryer, so we just washed cloth. 8 years later, with child #3, we used a combo of prefolds and disposables, and fitted diapers.

They were all pretty positive experiences. I would nit waste time on pocket inserts, and I would not go overboard on cute covers or printed diapers; just white looks wonderful and don't show through outfits, and are cheaper.

My honest opinion is that my answers to all of your questions would be positive for prefolds/covers and pockets, but negative for AIOs.  

(Except the water question. We have a well, so I can't speak to public water amount/cost differences for any of them.)

• Like 1

Yes, I saved money. No, it wasn't harder really. I mean, maybe a little, but it still wasn't hard, you know? 

Yes, one size diapers are bulky on a little baby. No way around that really. 

No, they didn't stink up the house. I washed every other day, and kept them in a diaper pail. I will admit I preferred to use a regular trash bag (one of the ones with febrile scent) over a reusable diaper pail liner. 

Tide is the best for diapers! 

Yes, you often have to size up in pants for cloth diaper butt, depending on what diapers you are using, etc. Yes, that's kind of a pain. Shorts were not hard, but long pants could be a pain. Stretchy ones were better, or overalls were the best. 

My favorites (after pre-folds) were fitted diapers with a cover. Loved Mother Ease Sandys , and the small size fits for forever, so a good investment. And the material kind of fluffs around them, so even when they are a bit big they don't restrict movement the way other diapers could. I have used Grovia and they were decent, but my friend that used them a lot says the velcro doesn't last. She likes the snap ones better. 

As for your husband not liking pre-folds, how about getting mostly or at least half pre-folds, then some Grovia for him to use when he's home? I had "daddy diapers" and then the stuff I used myself, since I did 90 percent of the diaper changing. 

Search online to see if there is a physical cloth diaper store within driving distance to you. Our local store provides a cloth diaper trial program, where you can pick out a certain number of different types of brand new diapers and use them on your baby for 2 weeks (for a small fee). At the end of trial, you can buy the ones you like for a discount, or just give them all back and call it a wash.

I have cloth diapered 3 children (the oldest was completely in disposables and, looking back, was horribly sensitive to them but I didn't know that cloth diapers were an option 20 years ago). We have used prefolds & covers, flats & covers, fitteds & covers, fitteds & wool, pockets, all-in-ones, sized (s/m/l), and one-size diapers. Everyone has their own preferences and washing routine. Take everyone's recommendations with the knowledge that their kids/washer & dryer/family situation is different and realize that YMMV. (I sold cloth diapers for several years both online and in a small physical store. It was a great learning experience.)

We wash laundry every day, and diapers are washed M/W/F. We have used cloth-diaper specific laundry detergent before, without much issue. Just be aware of 'brightening' detergents, which have optical brighteners that coat the fabric and make it less absorbent. DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENERS, pee will eventually run right off the diapers and out the legs - ask me how I know.  :banghead:

I could write a small book about the pros/cons of diapers, but I have to go shower and get ready for church... I'm sure that you'll get lots of great information here. Good luck!

• Like 2

We saw all the normal advantages that people mention, but also another one that I've never seen mentioned elsewhere:  A happier newborn.   Stop rolling your eyes and let me explain. 

When DD would cry, she would sometimes get so focused on the crying that she wouldn't notice that we'd fixed the problem.  So, it might have been that she wanted to be held, but then even when held she'd continue to cry.   I doubt she is the only very young baby to do this.   With cloth diapers, once we'd run through the list of things_to_do, we'd change her dry cloth diaper for another.  I think it was because diaper changing is an evolved process, the crying would turn off for a sec while DD did a "Am I happy now?" check.   She would be, because we'd gone through the whole list.   I guess theoretically you could do the same thing with disposables but I am wayyyyyy too cheap for that. 

We never had a leak or a blow-out with the cloth diapers.  You have leaks and blow-outs with disposables when they aren't the right size/brand (some brands are wider than others).    So, I would imagine that cloth diapers would do the same things for the same reasons, but they are usually immediately adjustable. 

I actually find cloth less smelly than disposable.  With the disposables, the pee and poop stay in your house until the entire diaper trash bag is put into the big outside trash.  At home, we had an Ammonia-Remover spray for pee diapers and enyzme stuff for poop diapers (solids went down the toilet), then diapers went into a bucket that didn't have water or a lid.  DH would throw dirty diapers on top of the lid.  So, I decided I'd rather have a husband that changed diapers and put them in the bucket, then a diaper bucket lid. 

At one point in time, DD's butt would often say "I love you" in pretty cursive on minky fabric.  You can't beat that. 

We used Motherease cloth diapers for our two youngest (oldest was 11 when we adopted her; she didn't need diapers ;) ). We all loved them. Yes, they absolutely saved money. Even factoring in the extra washing, we saved a ton of money. In fact, our water bill is higher now with two teenagers living at home than it ever was with two kids in diapers.

They are not extra work, and they did not smell up the house. In fact, I find the chemical smell of disposable diapers much more repellant than the smell of dirty cloth diapers. And as far as leaks, there was no comparison. The ONLY time our kids leaked was in disposable diapers. We never had leakage issues with cloth.

Yes, they are bulkier than disposables, but not much so. I never had a problem with clothes fitting.

My son was a super-pee-er, so we used Sandy's heavy wetter diapers (from Motherease) at night.

• Like 1

I've cloth diapered a girl and a boy. They were about the same. Well, the boy never night-weaned until he was totally weaned, so I did disposable at night with him so I didn't have to have so many middle of the night changings. As long as you go simple, it saves money, but I also figure that most of the people going all-out with the cutest diaper covers would just be going all-out on something else cute for their baby, so maybe it's even cheaper for them.  I think there is far less stink with cloth.

There are 2 challenges I see that seem to get people:

1. The gross factor. You've already got kids, so think about how you feel when you handle their soiled clothes. If it's unpleasant but no big deal, you'll be fine with cloth. If you are totally grossed out by a potty accident, you'll be totally grossed out by cloth diapering. (I think this is tougher for first time parents who don't yet know how they will react to their offspring's pee and poop.)

2. Having 1 more thing to think about. Once you get into a groove, it will be no big deal to throw an extra load in every day or two. I even went three days frequently with no problem. However, if you are stressed out with a newborn and the other things in your life, it's really hard to get in that groove. I'd recommend that if you generally find the first weeks a stressed out blur, you wait until the baby moves out of newborn size diapers before beginning cloth diapering and then give it a go, with a commitment to stick to it for one month. If you can do a month, you can do two years.

I had 2 in diapers for about 7 months, and I think cloth made it easier. I still did the wash about as often with 1, and I didn't feel like I was filling a landfill by myself, which is how I would have felt with 2 in disposables full-time.

When I first started diapering my babies, I tried everything.  I finally settled into what worked for me. My first four kids used microfiber pocket diapers. Kid5 had an allergy to microfiber (more common than you would think!), and used organic prefolds with covers. It was SO MUCH EASIER to not mess with stuffing microfiber diapers, and they weren't that much bulkier. We really loved the FLIP diapers, and we never had leaks with them, even overnight.  FLIP diapers have paper disposable inserts that you can use when traveling, or you can just buy a pack of Huggies.

Jillian's Drawers runs a diaper trial program--you might look into it. 

• Like 1

I used cloth with all four babies.  I did not like AIO because they leaked.  My favourites were the prefolds with a Snapez and Motherease air flow covers.  They never, ever leaked. 

I would get a few AIO's for your husband to use and then get some prefolds.  They are easier to wash and dry so much faster.

I used cloth with both of my kids, and this was a good number of years ago, before all of the fancy all-in-one thingies were available. (My younger in 18 now, just for reference.)

They absolutely saved us money. Even when we first started and used a diaper service, it was less expensive than buying disposables. Once we switched to washing our own, it was even better. 

We used very basic diaper covers (the first few of which we bought through the diaper service) that were really just some kind of plastic, lightly lined, with covered elastic at the leg holes and velcro closures. Into those, we put basic, "pre-folded" diapers like these: http://www.toysrus.com/buy/reusable-cloth-diapers/babies-r-us-3-ply-diaper-prefold-12-pack-1588041k12-13277195

We just folded one into thirds, laid it in the middle of the diaper cover, and put it on kiddo.

I cloth diapered with both my son and my daughter and, aside from slight differences in how I folded/placed the prefold into the cover (noticing where the most layers would sit), I don't remember it being any more difficult with one than with the other.

We did buy disposables for travelling or for days when we would be out of the house for extended periods of time. However, we very quickly noticed that both of our kids experienced much more diaper rash and discomfort after wearing disposabkes. We could alleviate that a bit by using the all-natural/chemical-free disposables, but they were very pricey. So, it encouraged us to stick with cloth as often as possible.

Both of mine definitely wore cloth diapers for longer than an hour at a time. We may have changed diapers slightly more often than our friends changed disposables, but it wasn't a significant difference.

I also didn't find it a big chore to cloth diaper, even once I was washing my own. Change diaper, rinse if necessary, toss diaper in covered plastic pail. Every few days, dump the contents of the pail into the washing machine. Wash on hot with the same (natural) detergent I used for all of my regular laundry. I did use the extra rinse cycle and washed diapers in their own loads, but otherwise I handled them just like the rest of my laundry.

I didn't notice any difference in the fit of clothing, either.

I used cloth with all four babies.  I did not like AIO because they leaked.  My favourites were the prefolds with a Snapez and Motherease air flow covers.  They never, ever leaked. 

I would get a few AIO's for your husband to use and then get some prefolds.  They are easier to wash and dry so much faster.

If you do get some prefolds for yourself, look online at the different folding methods.  There is actually more than one way to get that diaper on the baby.   We used what I think was called the butterfly fold.   You put the baby butt on the diaper, then as you bring the front of the diaper up you exchange the left and right sides so that it bunches between the legs.  Then add the snappy.   I don't remember if that was recommended for a boy or not.   All the folding methods had good for boy, girl or both on them.  One thing nice about that fold is that DD had a much easier time standing with straight legs and walking than any other baby we knew.  

Just wanting to expand on my dislike of AIOs...

Putting PUL in the dryer has never seemed like a good idea to me, and is usually discouraged by most manufacturers, or they at least encourage their customers to use a very low setting.  Drying the cloth of an AIO on a low setting is long and tedious.  Line drying an AIO is obviously even slower.  Rushing it with a higher setting runs the risk of degrading PUL (and similar materials), shortening the length of time you'll get before they become leaky.  With AIOs being so much more expensive than the other options, it just seems ridiculous to me except for exceptionally cute diapers that are used for infrequent showing off.  ;)

Pocket diapers and regular covers, otoh, dry quickly in the open air. Prefolds and fitteds can dry on full blast (fitteds taking longer, of course.)  Easy peasy, fast and squeezy!

• Like 3

We used cloth--except at night.

I think we used Motherease--they had snaps and were thick. I used the old fashioned pull on nylon pants for over and never had a problem with leaks.

They didn't smell up the house and were just an extra load every 2-3 days. Get a diaper pail with a tight fitting top. I used regular detergent and threw in some Borax I think it's called. Every so often I hing them in the sun.

For traveling I just threw used ones in a plastic grocery bag and tied it--but I know now there are other options.

I honestly don't remember clothes fitting to be a problem.

I know we saved a ton of money.

I found cloth very convenient, because I did not have to worry about running out and having to take the baby to the store. We changed every 2 hours, and DS seldom got any rashes. Odor was less of a problem than I remember with my siblings' disposables.

If you have some easier-to-use diapers (like AIOs) and some others (like pockets or prefolds with covers), you can put the baby in an AIO right before leaving the house and bring a prepared pocket with you, and then the change while you're out is easy. My favorite brand for ease of use and washing was SposoEasy, but I don't think they make those any more.

I did buy his pants (and I think onesies) one size up--overalls were great before potty training--but why is that harder?

I used one size fitted cloth and loved them. They had Velcro tabs which made them super adjustable. I did not have problems with clothes. They were less smelly than disposables.

I know lots of folks use cloth diapers successfully and wouldn't do it any other way. There are many brands and varieties out there and I, like you, researched them all and bought a nice stash.

Reality: Our cloth diaper experience lasted less than 24 hours. After the first blowout, I stood there with this vile thing in my hand, tempted to toss it in the trash, wondering what on earth I was thinking when I decided to go that route.

Sorry, no help here.

Okay, this made me laugh. The only non-user caused blowouts my kids have ever had were with our oldest. He's the only one who has worn disposables. Every. SIngle. One. Leaked! It was the worst couple days. (He wore them after a surgery.)

All blow-outs in our CDs were user caused (such as not having the PF completely in the cover.)

I love, love, love our CDs so much it's one of the things I am looking forward to with kid #4.

FWIW, I thought DH would hate PF and covers. So I bought some pockets to keep him happy. Much to my surprise the very first diaper he attempted was a PF and cover. Neither of us ever looked back. They are so easy. Trifold the PF and stick it in the cover. Put on baby.

LIke a pp, I can't stand the chemical smell of disposables. Our diaper pail does not smell. I actually had a friend talking to me about how she was sure it did once. I asked, "Well, does it?" 

She said, "What?" And I told her she was standing right in front of it (as in mere inches away). She was shocked.

I am so glad DH didn't like pockets. I find them a pain to stuff. (I've helped friends.)  The insert doesn't slide in easily. It catches on the waterproof layer and makes it hard. Way harder than trifolding a PF and putting it in a cover.

We like Green Mountain Diaper snapless fitteds for the NB stage with Proraps covers. After that it's PFs with Sweet Pea Baby one-size covers.

• Like 1

Do they really save you money even factoring in higher water/electric bill costs? What about needing special soap (though the GroVia site says regular TIDE is fine.)?

Whether you save money or not depends on what you spend on diapers and accessories.  My last baby, 5 years ago, I spent about $100 on prefolds, snappis, a waterproof washable laundry bag,  and wraps. For clothes I just used a cut up towel (and plain water from the sink, because I kept my changing table in the bathroom).  I laundered every other day 1 hot load.  I do hang most laundry to dry, though sometimes use the dryer in bad weather.  I definitely saved a ton of money.  But if you spend $1000 on diaper supplies, I'm not sure how much money you will save.  I didn't care so much about money as I did cleanliness.  I just felt like my washed diapers were cleaner than weird paper products made in a factory filled with I don't know what chemicals and handled in I don't know what fashion.  ETA: we only ever used ALL Free and Clear.  I think special detergents are a scam.  The important thing is to rinse well.  An "extra rinse" setting on your washer is valuable.

It's about 3-4 loads per week.  I didn't find it burdensome, but I don't mind laundry.  There was also peace of mind for me in never having to worry about running out of diapers.  If I got low, I just washed.  That was way easier to me than loading baby in the car for an unplanned trip to the store 15 miles away.

No, as long as they got washed every other day.  Day 3 would start to smell if they didn't get washed for some reason, but even then the solution is to wash them.

What about baby clothes fitting right? Do you need to go up in size to accomodate the cute fluffy diaper butt?

My kids are long and skinny.  Diapers actually made their clothes fit better.

Are the one size diapers bulky in the front when using the small settings? How do you get the inseerts to fit?

I disliked one size diapers.  They were always gappy around the legs and led to leaks and poop in places that I didn't want. They also take ages to dry.  I'm a prefolds only sort of girl. 

I read you can only leave them on for like an hour than they are soaked through. DO you end up using more in a day than you would if you were using disposibles?

Not true.  This really only matters with newborns who pee almost constantly, in little bits.  Older babies stay dry for a while, then they pee, then you change the diaper.

What about traveling? What about leaks? We are having a boy. Are cloth diapers more suited for girls?

I switched to cloth with my oldest because of leaks.  Paper diapers just didn't fit well or hold in runny breastfed poop.  The last straw was being on the table at the GYN for my 6 week check up with baby sleeping peacefully in his car seat, and then pooping, with poop all in the car seat, all up his back and into his hair.  Never again.

BTW, both my kids are boys.

Unless he is doing the majority of the diapers work, he doesn't get a vote.  It wouldn't even occur to me to ask my dh what he thought about diapering choices.

editing for errors...

Edited by TammyS
  • Like 1

All three of my kids had CDs for part of their diapering life; second-born had CDs for all his diapering life (except for a couple convenience times, like travel). Yes, it saves a lot of money. Personally, I think it's best to use one "system" and just keep using that system. I had Chinese Prefolds with Bummis super whisper wraps and used that 90% of the time durimg which I diapered. I tried Fuzzy Bunz pocket dipes at one point and had a couple of All-in-ones, but the prefold/bummis was affordable, worked well, and all washed up together.

Clothing: YES this was a problem. Leggins on girls look pretty ridiculous over that CD butt, and elastic waistbands on boys sometimes would not stretch over. I think many clothes fashions are now even slim,er and trimmer than when I was doing this 10+ years ago. For a girl, you can get around this some with cute little dresses, but I would lie if I said this was never a problem.

The Final Nail for me was my new washing machine. It was the much-maligned Whirlpool Calypso machine which used about two teaspoons of water per load. I hated that machine with the fire of a thousand suns. It WOULD NOT clean my dipes. This was why I quit CD, when youngest DS was about six months old.

All other "issues" were not a problem for me. I think dirty disposables STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN, but not CDs. The smell of chemicals is much more offensive to me than human bodily function smells. I used a dry pail with a nylon bag liner and washed the whole shebang every 2-3 days. It wasn't inconvenient. It didn't strike me as especially gross. I did keep rubber gloves in the bathroom to deal with messies, but still, not a big fat deal.

• Like 1

We like Green Mountain Diaper snapless fitteds for the NB stage with Proraps covers. After that it's PFs with Sweet Pea Baby one-size covers

*sigh* Green Mountain Diapers. <3 i loved that site! Such fond memories.

• Like 3

I have spent the better part of today and serveral other days researching these and driving myself up the wall. DH is totally gungho for doing it. He loves the GroVia Hybrids with the No Prep liners and BioLiners for later on. The boys are all grossed out. DD thinks we should because "They are just so cute!" and she saw me looking at disposible diaper reviews in which one was showing the red marks on a baby's leg from the diaper. She then declared that was not for our Baby!

My questions are:

editing for errors...

See, to me, cloth diapers means prefolded gauze diapers like these.

..along with something like this, which I bought at the grocery store when needed:

Gerber-Waterproof-Pants-image.jpg

Baby's clothes fit over them just fine. In fact, my little girls' dresses came with cute bloomers that fit right over the diaper and plastic pants, and when they were bigger so that their dresses didn't come with matching bloomers, I bought cute little ruffly undies. :-) The huge diaper covers y'all buy today did not exist then.

Soiled diapers were rinsed in the toilet and then kept in a diaper pail with little Amway disinfectant until I washed them. There was no odor.

I never used inserts.

Washing diapers was not a big deal. They were just another load of laundry (although I did let them soak with the detergent and bleach for awhile, because I wanted *white* diapers). I used my regular Amway detergent, dry bleach, and fabric softener.

My questions are:

Do they really save you money even factoring in higher water/electric bill costs? What about needing special soap (though the GroVia site says regular TIDE is fine.)? My water and electric bill did not go up.  check out http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com It is wealth of info on kinds of diapers and washing them. Tide is recommended. I purchased a lot used on FB and Diaperswappers.com

Are they really any more work (besides the laundry) than disposibles? No. IMO

Do they stink up your house before washing? Not if you have a good diaper pail with a lid

What about baby clothes fitting right? Do you need to go up in size to accomodate the cute fluffy diaper butt? I had to go up a size. 

Are the one size diapers bulky in the front when using the small settings? How do you get the inserts to fit? Some come with two sizes of inserts. I have not had a problem with bulky front except in the Grovia snap ins. I do not like them personally as the poo get in between and under the inserts. I like pockets as once I spray off the diaper the insert do not have poo. That is a personal preference however. Some babies can't use OS diapers until 6-8 weeks. If you can find NB diapers for cheap used. I would recommend them.

I read you can only leave them on for like an hour than they are soaked through. DO you end up using more in a day than you would if you were using disposibles? Micro fiber inserts(which most of them come with) absorb quickly but do not hold much and suffer from compression leaks. I stuff my diaper with 1 MF insert and 1 hemp or bamboo

What about traveling? What about leaks? We are having a boy. Are cloth diapers more suited for girls? I traveled with them. You need a few wet bags for storage. I only have girls but in the FB goups I am in boys are equally represented. I believe with prefold there are folds that are better suited to boys or girls 

I know most of ya'll like prefolds and covers or pockets but DH isn't going for those. I also know can count on The Hive for honest advice or just the good ole' slap upside the head and get a grip on yourself kind of thing. My preferred brand are Bumgenius, Fuzzibunz. But also like Alvas (china cheapies) and Charlie Banana. Be prepared to shop a round a bit. 

editing for errors...

I would totally advise buying one or two of many different kinds of diapers (or at least of different brands of the kind you're interested in) before committing to a whole stash of one type and one brand.

• Like 1

Sorry, no help here.

:lol:   I love your honesty. 

We didn't cloth diaper at all. I could never even imagine adding that to the stress of having a new baby.

(But I know that many people love cloth diapers.)

I am cloth diapering my 6th baby. I've used mostly prefolds because they are cheap and wash up really well. (AIOs and fitteds can be prone to smell and take forever to dry) I prefer cloth because it's cheap. I've got some diapers that I've put on 5 of my babies, though they are falling apart at this point. I think cloth diapers contain the poop blowouts better. And for breastfed poop, clean up and washing is just so easy. (I have switched over to sposies when my last 2 were about a year because gross poop from eating solid foods.)

I use disposables at night because they do hold more and I don't want to change diapers in the night.

I have big fat babies and the bulk of a cloth diaper does limit their clothing options. My babies pretty much only wear one-piece outfits. No pants here unless I put him a disposable. (DS's church outfit has pants and he has blown out of the disposable diaper all over his church clothes for 4 weeks in a row! I really do prefer cloth for that reason but sometimes you gotta wear pants!)

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 2

I loved cloth diapers will all 4 of mine.  I did use a disposable overnight with 2 of mine, but one a day isn't expensive.  I like prefolds with Thirsties covers.  I liked Best Bottoms when they were 6 months and up.  I like Bum Genius and Motherease fitteds.  Breastfed poop goes right into the washer-- pre-rinse, wash, rinse, rinse.  Solid poop gets dumped into the potty prior to washing.  Lots of moms love diaper sprayers  for rinsing, but I never had one.  I usually started a load of diapers each evening.  If you have a very hard time keeping up on laundry and absolutely know you will not wash at least every 2 days, then I would not do it.

:lol:   I love your honesty. 

We didn't cloth diaper at all. I could never even imagine adding that to the stress of having a new baby.

(But I know that many people love cloth diapers.)

I guess it was a benefit to having a premie that we got to get used to him a bit before trying the CDs, as we had to wait for them to come in the mail! :) And still, a birdseye (flat) diaper fit him best for a week or two, before he reached a proper newborn size. Of course, newborn clothes kind of flopped off him, too!

DH had never changed a diaper of any kind before, so it was all the same to him.

Opps!

This has all been excellent information. I'm looking up MotherEase and all the others ya'll suggested.

One would think in a city the size of Houston, we would have at least one cloth diaper store but NOOOO!! If anyone else int he area knows of one, please correct me. buybuybaby carries some things in store--Flips and inserts, GroVia covers only, etc.. But no knowledgable staff.

Edited by Paradox5

My questions are:

Besides laundry? What would that be? No, not besides laundry. Laundry was some work.

No.

Don't know. Don't think so.

I did not find one-size worked with newborns. I needed tiny ones. My kids were average to large sized, too.

This is not accurate--one hour is not a lot. However, we used gradual toilet training (kind of like elimination communication, but with a different goal and different milestones and methods, still, used the potty occasionally) and I did change a lightly wet diaper once every two hours or so when I was not able to sit baby on the potty.

No idea but that's not what I've heard.

I liked AIOs but they were expensive! Like I bet I only saved like 25% on disposables when I used those--but of course the environmental aspect was important too. I found one size AIOs to be less "one size" than prefolds with covers, which could be bunched up differently.

editing for errors...

My main advice is that it's not all or nothing. I used gradual toilet training with pre-folds as backups and disposables as backup 100% of the time when giving the child over to grandma or someone for care. I was not the only one. I never asked another adult--dad being on board with my plan as he was from Asia so it fit well with his understanding of toilet training and diapers--to change a cloth diaper.

If your DH doesn't want to, then my advice is to cloth diaper when you want and buy some 7th generation disposables for him to deal with. In fact let him buy them. "Fine babe, I've got cloth diapers here, if you don't want to use them go buy whatever works for you."

With the exception of the pickiest babies I have not had that be a problem. Babies are remarkably attuned to their caregivers.

Good luck!

(Oh yeah and I bought them all online.)

This has all been excellent information. I'm looking up MotherEase and all the others ya'll suggested.

One would think in a city the size of Houston, we would have at least one cloth diaper store but NOOOO!! If anyone else int he area knows of one, please correct me. buybuybaby carries some things in store--Flips and inserts, GroVia covers only, etc.. But no knowledgable staff.

Just wanted to clarify that the ME one size are bulky and not soft, not like the Sandy diapers they carry. Those sandy's are just the softest, and have the best mobility. The baby can still pull their legs all the way up, etc, with no bulk between their legs. And they last forever and ever. 

The airflow covers are a bit bulky, but work well.I like Bummi's pull on covers better I think, they are so flexible they squish down under clothes, etc. A lot like the nylon pants someone linked upthread, but a different, less crinkly material. 

I cloth-diapered exclusively (although it's been maaany years ago now!)  I had twins, and then 2.5 years later a third, so I even had 3 cloth diapers for 6 months.  I found it easy - much easier than running out to buy disposables - never had to worry about running out.

I started with a service.  I originally thought I'd do disposables for outings, but then I had to still worry about buying diapers.  It's like homeschooling one kid and sending the other to school - you still end up on the school schedule.

So then I bought some all-in-ones for when we went out.  Then I realized I was washing a tiny load of diapers, and it would be just as easy to wash a full load, so why was I paying for a service.  So I bought diapers.

My favorites ended up being Kissaluvs (snap fitted) - no idea if they're even made any more - with Bummi velcro wraps for day and Aristocrat wool soakers for night.  I still used the all-in-ones just for trips out.  I my I-don't-want-to-shop-for-diaper-supplies ever mode, I also didn't buy wipes.  I used half a paper towel roll soaked in a castile-soap solution in a tupperware container (take out cardboard tube and they pop-up like commercial wipes) for home use, and for when we were out I used flannel wipes in baggie soaked in the same solution (ironically I found it much easier to use cloth wipes when out because I could just put them in the diaper rather than looking for a trash can).

Once their poops got big and their pee heavier, I got these great terry liner/soakers that had a synthetic mesh on the top that poop just slid off, so I'd just drop that in the toilet.  If you hold one end while flushing, it really sucks all the poop off. :D

With number 3, I think I also used prefolds when tiny till she grew into the mid-sized Kissaluvs.  Then I told her sisters the baby needed their diapers so they'd have to potty train (they were almost 3yo).  They complied and just passed their diapers on. :)

I just tossed the dirty dipes in a ditty bag (no soaking) and did a pre-soak with washing soda in the washing machine (top loader), then a warm wash, then a hot wash (took the covers and AIOs out for that third cycle, I think).  At least that's what I think I did - memory is getting fuzzy.  I know I air-dried the AIOs.

That's my very-old cloth diapering experience...

• Like 1

My main advice is that it's not all or nothing. I used gradual toilet training with pre-folds as backups and disposables as backup 100% of the time when giving the child over to grandma or someone for care. I was not the only one. I never asked another adult--dad being on board with my plan as he was from Asia so it fit well with his understanding of toilet training and diapers--to change a cloth diaper.

If your DH doesn't want to, then my advice is to cloth diaper when you want and buy some 7th generation disposables for him to deal with. In fact let him buy them. "Fine babe, I've got cloth diapers here, if you don't want to use them go buy whatever works for you."

With the exception of the pickiest babies I have not had that be a problem. Babies are remarkably attuned to their caregivers.

Good luck!

(Oh yeah and I bought them all online.)

Dh wants to do cloth, like really wants to. It's me that is digging in my heels. So maybe he can buy cloth for him to use at home and I'll buy Huggies for me. :)

• Like 1

Dh wants to do cloth, like really wants to. It's me that is digging in my heels. So maybe he can buy cloth for him to use at home and I'll buy Huggies for me. :)

Go for it. You can save some of the time and then always have Huggies around for backup if you decide to go full-on cloth diapers.

• Like 1

I didn't read the responses, but we have cloth diapered six babies. We've used and tried different brands. And my babies are all shaped differently. Grovia is a great brand to go with. The quality is superb. The fit is great. They have a trial pack with a shell and insert and some disposable inserts that you can try for $20, which is a good deal. Grovia is all we have after 10 years of cloth diapers.

We don't have stink issues beyond the pail being a bit stinky when it's time to wash. Like you would have with a bag full of diapers. Nothing grosser than disposables. Most of the time we find disposables stink more than cloth.

We do have leaks, but my 3yo is not potty trained and pees with such force that he has outpeed a disposable, through his pants, and left puddles as he walked. So really nothing holds him.

My current cloth diapered kids are 3, short-ish and stocky, and 12 mos, petite and long and lean.

• Like 1