Menu

Memoria Press users: for early grades...

Is it just too much? Too dry? For 1-3 grades? It looks like a ton of writing. I how long are the lessons? The grammar book said it takes an hour on Mondays to do the lesson[emoji15] how long are your days? I'm wanting to incorporate some of MP... What's your fav MP course for early elementary? If you don't use it all, which pieces do you feel work really well for you?

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

Edited by sunshineslp

For first grade it takes us less than two hours for everything, unless he really dawdles on his math. The writing ramps up as the year goes along, but there are some things one can do orally (story time teasures) if the copy work + cursive practice is too much.

Third grade is a different boat entirely, the work required really ramps up, but you can do a lot more orally and have them answer, say, one or two of the comprehension questions with a well crafted written sentence. Keep in mind that the "workbooks" are not designed to be busy work, but lend themselves to discussion and highlighting things in the reading that the kids may not pick up on. Depth and such. :)

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 1

Thanks girls. How hard is it to only do parts of MP? For instance, I'm interested in the LA/poetry/literature/reading comp. maybe some social studies. I don't need handwriting, math, spelling...

We used Prima Latina and the 1st and 2nd grade MP literature guides last year. We were using it with Kolbe 1st and 2nd grade plans. My sons wrote down all the answers to the comprehension questions and we still had fun.

With 3rd grade this year (MP 3A core except Math & Cursive), my son is writing down the answers to all comprehension questions in Literature, Classical, and Christian Studies. He is focused, fast, and doesn't complain but we don't have time to do anything fun anymore. So next year with my upcoming 3rd and 4th graders, we will do what most of the MP homeschoolers in the MP forum are doing, answering the questions orally except for the ones that will come out in the tests. And my sons love to do the enrichment and activities portion of each MP lessons so we will still do that.

The English Grammar Recitation is meant to be used with the MP Latin. The first day of each lesson is the longest because the student copies (writes down) the grammar rule being discussed. Then the rest of the week is just recitation of the rule and answering a few exercises. Next school year though, I will use Rod and Staff (or FLL) instead of MP EGR because I want more exercises.

We are also using different Math, Handwriting, and Spelling. It's not a problem at all.

• Like 2

Lol! Sorry.

Next school year, MP materials for 4th grade: First Form Latin, literature guides, Famous Men of Rome, Christian Studies 2, Geo I, Insects.

3rd grade: Latina Christiana 1, ATFF(IEW but MP uses it), literature guides, Greek Myhts, Christian Studies 1, Astronomy, States & Capitals, Read Aloud list.

1st grade: all in the MP 1st grade core except Math and Handwriting, 1st grade Enrichment

• Like 1

Thanks girls. How hard is it to only do parts of MP? For instance, I'm interested in the LA/poetry/literature/reading comp. maybe some social studies. I don't need handwriting, math, spelling...

It is super easy. Their customer service is amazing, too, so they'd help you fit all the pieces of your puzzle together if the customization on the website for any given package isn't enough flexibility.

• Like 2

How do you all like the Christian studies? I'm considering apologia's Who Am I for comparison (although that's not set in stone either).

Where would you put a 3rd grader in for Latin that's never done it before?

I like that a lot of it can be done orally, that's helpful!

The MP Christian Studies is very thorough and organized. I am Catholic and so I use Faith & Life with the Christian Studies. By 6th grade we will shift to a Catholic Bible study.

I think Prima Latina and Latina Christiana 1 are both beginner programs. There are less activities to be done in Prima Latina (perfect for a 2nd grader) and more exercises and words to memorize in Latina Christiana 1(appropriate for a 3rd grader). Maybe on this one you can call MP for guidance.

How do you all like the Christian studies? I'm considering apologia's Who Am I for comparison (although that's not set in stone either).

Where would you put a 3rd grader in for Latin that's never done it before?

I like that a lot of it can be done orally, that's helpful!

MP recommends Latina Christiana 1 for 3rd grade regardless of Latin background. My son is going into 3rd grade but is dyslexic so we will be using Prima Latina. I'm hoping he can do LC next year with such a gentle intro.

I called and they really are helpful. We are going "all in" I think, for my 5th grader, and using parts and pieces of 2nd and 3rd for my middle--and they still have me a package discount, and most of the 1st grade core.

• Like 1