Menu

If you farted quietly in a yoga class, would you

Laura Corin

224 members have voted

1. 1. Would the fart mean that you would

• Never go to the class ever ever ever again
    • Be a bit nervous the next week but get over it and carry on attending
    • Feel a bit embarrassed on the day but wouldn't think about it the next week
    • Dismiss it from your mind and carry on as normal
    • Other

Isn't there a video about this?  And one of the recommendations is to pat another person on the shoulder in a comforting manner while saying, "Don't worry, it happens to all of us."  

Edited to add:  found it 

Edited by GailV
  • Like 15

I wouldn't give it a second thought. If there was a significant odor to it, I definitely would have pretended someone else did it. Will never forget the Christmas Eve when the (little, old) lady in front of us had that experience - a loud and odiferous one at that. My siblings and I were in our early 20s and, together with my Dad, were laughing so hard, we rocked the pew. My mother gave us the evil eye from her place in the choir, but there wasn't a thing she could do to rein us in.

Dd went to a yoga class with adults, and it happened All.The.Time and everyone carried on as usual.

It would appear that in yoga class it's expected.

I've noticed someone fart once before, but I'm usually concentrating pretty hard on what I'm doing, so it might happen more often.

We were rolled up into balls and turning in circles.  There was just too much going on....  Like this but cross-legged rather than in lotus:

• Like 1

Dd went to a yoga class with adults, and it happened All.The.Time and everyone carried on as usual.

It would appear that in yoga class it's expected.

Yoga has just been moved to the top of my "Things I'll Never Do" list. 

Too risky.

• Like 24

Um I teach yoga and someone lets one rip almost every class. Why do you think yoga instructors use essential oils and burn incense? 😂😂😂

Don't think twice about it. Go back to class. No one else is thinking about it. Trust me. Much worse happens that a silent but deadly fart.

Edited by MSNative
  • Like 16

Apparently in the kids yoga class it happens even more frequently (so that's why I've heard so much giggling) but no kid has made fun of the side effects of yoga. The kids have fun, show up each week, and fart their way through it.

Yup, it's half the fun of yoga to my kids. Exercise and potty humor... win-win.

Edited by tm919
  • Like 5

Isn't there a video about this? And one of the recommendations is to pat another person on the shoulder in a comforting manner while saying, "Don't worry, it happens to all of us."

Edited to add: found it

Crying 😂😂😂

• Like 1

BTDT and other fun and audible body sounds. My face turns unbelievably red, well at least it feels that way and I try to act as normal as possible. Likewise if I hear noise emmanating from anyone else I make it a point to try my best to act like I didn't hear anything.

• Like 6

Reminds me of a friend who was helping her foster daughter (about 3 yo) learn good manners. When the little girl "tooted", friend would look at her and say, "Excuse you," trying to get the child to say "Excuse me." So the little girl tooted in church one day and looked at her foster mom and said, "Excuse you!" You could try that.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 18

I thought of this thread tonight. A woman in my dance class informed us at the end of class that she had Mexican for dinner and held gas in the whole class. I appreciate the effort. That class was HARD too, so she must be some sort of gas-holding super hero. She did skip a few stretches.

• Like 6

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It depends on the volume and whiff factor!

But with all the stretching and twisting, it was bound to happen sometime! Gives downward dog a whole new meaning....

For a few weeks over the winter, I was doing yoga with DH and the kids. It was meant mainly for DS16 who had injured his knee and should be doing flexibility exercises daily. So, I meant to help him by doing it all together. BUT! This was a far removed from my own peaceful, sedate morning yoga practice alone in my bedroom. And, relief of bound gas seemed to be the high point for the three males, and it was always a Downward Dog bonus addition. Soon, they were cracking each other up regularly simply by hollering out, "Downward Dog!!!"

I had to quit. ;)

ETA: typos

Edited by Quill
  • Like 16

For a few weeks over the winter, I was doing yoga with DH and the kids. It was meant mainly for DS16 who had injured his knee and should be doing flexibility exercises daily. So, I meant to help him by doing it altogether. BUT! This was a far removed from my own peaceful, sedate morning yoga practice alone in my bedroom. And, relief of bound gas seemed to be the high point for the three males, and it was always a Downward Dog bonus addition. Soon, they were cracking each other up regularly simply by hollaring our, "Downward Dog!!!"

I had to quit. ;)

That's great!! They must be self entertaining ;)

• Like 2

I had to cash a check at the bank, and was waiting behind a guy that worked there. I had that uh oh feeling and could NOT hold it in. I may or may not have given a disgusted look when he walked away and said to the teller, "Woah...I think he farted when he walked away." Yeh...totally a lie, but she will never see me again, and at least she didn't think it was me that left the horrible smell, lol.

Yeh...totally a lie, but she will never see me again, and at least she didn't think it was me that left the horrible smell, lol.

Unless she realized that she who smelt it, dealt it. The thing to do is wait for her to say something or wrinkle her nose, and then look around like you just noticed the stench yourself.

• Like 5

I voted other.

I would probably post a poll here and agonize about it endlessly.

And then, knowing I was not alone, in a completely unrelated thought process, decide to take up Pilates or something.

• Like 7

See poll.

Not that it has ever happened to me. No, never, not this week, not ever, not this Thursday lunchtime, no, not ever.

L

It happens to everyone at some point.  People are generally understanding.  Certainly it's unpleasant, but it's perfectly normal, and there's no need to be mortified over it. 

• Like 3

It happens to everyone at some point. People are generally understanding. Certainly it's unpleasant, but it's perfectly normal, and there's no need to be mortified over it.

I'm not. I'll be happily back at the class next week. I was just curious how other people would react.

My initial instinct would be total mortification and never return to that establishment again.

This would be followed by my usual pragmatism of "these things happen" and I would go back. While attending class the following week I would be wondering who remembered that I passed gas the previous week and be inwardly mortified.

• Like 4

Unless she realized that she who smelt it, dealt it. The thing to do is wait for her to say something or wrinkle her nose, and then look around like you just noticed the stench yourself.

Lol...well my comment to her was in response to the fact that she wrinkled her nose and looked around to see who did it. So it was sort of addressed already and I sure wasn't going to claim it, lol.

Edited by tbog