Menu

Karenciavo, I was wondering if you could tell me more about LFC and where

Kimber

it's going. I though I remember you writing that you were using a new program of their's that is to come out later in the year.

My situation is that I'm trying to decide between Latin Prep 1, Latin for Children A or B, or Lively Latin 2 for my children as we complete LC1.

My dd(almost 10) is doing really well in Latin and could be challenged more. My ds(8) only does it because he likes the games and the dvd time that he and his sister spend together on LC1.

LfC looks like it might really work for us because of the dvd's, chants, and activity books. But I'm curious as to where they're headed and where my children will be later if we follow this track.

TIA,

Kimbery :)

Hi Kimber,

When all the Latin programs are completed by Classical Academic Press I believe there will be 7 levels of Latin, Song School Latin, Latin For Children Primers A, B, & C, and Upper School Latin I, II, & III. Upper School Latin I will be released late spring/early summer.

USL is intended for students middle school and up or those who have completed LFC Primer C. Each lesson includes exercises on syllabication and accent for new vocab, new grammar concepts taught and practiced, parsing and translating of sentences, chapter readings, (Level I has readings based on Livy and Level II will feature Seutonius, Sallust, Vergil, Ovid, Quintillian etc., and also writings from the Latin Church Fathers, I'm not sure about level III yet), comprehension questions for the readings asked and answered in Latin, derivatives, conversational Latin and Roman cultural studies. It will be a good Latin program to use to prepare students for the National Latin exam. One of the authors, Karen Moore, has stated that DVDs will be made to go along with USL, but she is not sure of their production schedule. I'm guessing they'll have pronunciation cds too.

HTH,

Karen

Thanks everyone,

I think I might go this route for my kids next year. Can we go from LC1 into LfC B? I am wondering if since LfC B is suppose to coordinate with Medieval history is this going to be a problem for us since we'll be covering ancients. Or can I use the ancients readers with LfC B?

Thanks again!

You read my mind. I was just wondering this exact thing. I am not completely convinced that I want to stick to LC and move on to LC2. It is a decent program and easy to use but I like the explanations written right into the LfC book. They do introduce all of the principle parts of the vocabulary at once but with the review at the beginning of B, that might not be a problem. I am looking forward to the answers to you questions.

Thanks everyone,

I think I might go this route for my kids next year. Can we go from LC1 into LfC B? I am wondering if since LfC B is suppose to coordinate with Medieval history is this going to be a problem for us since we'll be covering ancients. Or can I use the ancients readers with LfC B?

Thanks again!

I would not skip Primer A, it covers more grammar than LC I. I used LC I before Primer A and at first I just moved at a faster pace, a chapter every 3 days, but I was soon covering new material and slowed down to a chapter a week.

FUnny thing about this thread....I was just at their website trying to figure out which one I wanted for dd6 next year. I think I'm goign to do sing-song latin. It looks great. I got some samples from TOS and it looks great. Primer A has too much grammar for her right now. (I'M going to have to brush up on that, myself...I do not remember conjugating a verb at all!)

Sorry to have more questions, but I'm trying to figure this out. :D

Where would Henle fit in to the LfC series. It's not that I plan to do Henle, but I'm trying to mentally wrap my brain around equivalent programs and where my children will be when a program is finished. I know the LfC faq's page recommends Oxford Latin after LfC C (I guess until D--USL--comes out). But where in this progression is a student on par with Henle Latin. Thanks, again.

We are finishing LC 2 right now. I called and spoke with the LFC company at length, as to placement for my dd for next year. They advised me to start with with the B level. They also told me to move faster through the first half of the book, as that should be review and then we would hit new material at the middle of the B book. So do do level B over say a semester and then move into C for the remainder of the year. There was to much new material in the second half of B to consider skipping to level C.

I would assume then if one had done LC1 that they should start with A.

lynda

Sorry to have more questions, but I'm trying to figure this out. :D

Where would Henle fit in to the LfC series. It's not that I plan to do Henle, but I'm trying to mentally wrap my brain around equivalent programs and where my children will be when a program is finished. I know the LfC faq's page recommends Oxford Latin after LfC C (I guess until D--USL--comes out). But where in this progression is a student on par with Henle Latin. Thanks, again.

USL = Henle

Thanks Karen and everyone else. I think we will do similar to Wendy and maybe do LfC A over the summer, double time. I originally thought Lively Latin, but my son likes the DVD learning and the activity books. I think it will work well for him.

One less decision to make. Yeah! :)

Kimber, your situation is identical to ours. My boys actually really like the dvds and the Ludere Latine workbooks so that is why I am leaning toward Latin for Children rather than Lively Latin. I also like that it looks like we will be able to stick to one program for the rest of our Latin. With another ds joining us for school next year, I am looking to keep things simple. That is also why I want to stick to a dvd program. It frees me up to do other things while that is on.

Well, it didn't work for my 3yo. He just had his bd in Nov. I am nervous about having to fit in K next year b/c he makes it very difficult to do anything with his 5yo brother. We are actually sending him to preschool 2 mornings a week next year for a little piece a quite around here. His preschool teacher is also hs her 2 dds so she understands a little about how crazy a hs household can be.