Menu

Facebook discrimination

Is it a situation they should address? Probably. But are they intentionally trying to single out homeschoolers? I don't get that drift.

The security measures they have chosen to use have the end result of discriminating against homeschoolers, but I don't think that was ever the intent. How would you suggest they verify homeschoolers as legit in order to protect their other online students from predators claiming to be homeschoolers?

Also, facebook is a private service, not a public service. They don't have to cater to any group they don't desire to. I'm not sure they'll get much flack from not catering to homeschoolers, so I wouldn't expect a change.

I see the problem, but lack the compassion to care. Myspace has just as large a homeschool group if you look for it. And what facebook does, myspace does as well. There is also mypraize and of course, message boards.

It is not discrimination one bit. I just don't think they thought homeschoolers would be interested in this sort of thing when it was created, therefore they didn't create room for them.

The kid had the right idea though--there are much better things to do. :)

>>> I just don't think they thought homeschoolers would be interested in this sort of thing when it was created, therefore they didn't create room for them. >>>

I really think they just forgot the whole homeschooling community. Not out of malice but maybe just from not having any exposure to homeschoolers. There are tons of people out there who don't know homeschoolers.