Menu

Well, he just left about an hour ago...

I tried hard not to cry, but I teared up as ER was going out the door, so I am aggravated at myself because I hadn't wanted him to leave on what I felt was a negative note.

We had a long-ish talk last night about how both of us are having some diffficulty adjusting. He feels a bit overwhelmed about "growing up", and I feel overwhelmed about "letting go".

I have not been sleeping well, and I know it is the stress of this major adjustment. I fall asleep okay when I go to bed, which is usually around 11:30 or so; but I wake up every few hours (2-3+ times per night), wide awake and feeling tense. After awhile I go back to sleep, but the pattern repeats until about 7:00 or 7:30 AM.

Anybody know of any herbs/teas that might help me sleep more soundly?

Chamomile tea is relaxing, but if I drink it, I always wake up having to go to the bathroom, so it sort of defeats the purpose. ;)

Working out daily really makes me ready for bed, and I think it helps me sleep more soundly.

Valerian is supposed to help as well.

VALERIAN- This is probably the best known herbal remedy for sleeplessness. It eases both nervous tension and muscle tension. It's great for combating stress and relieving insomnia. Valerian tea is a natural sedative. High doses could cause paralysis and a weakened heartbeat, but used as the package suggests, and it is a very beneficial aid to sleep. It is known as the valium of the nineteenth century.

Oh, and :grouphug:. I'm not there yet. Sometimes I'm guilty of imagining the peaceful empty nest house. I know I'll regret that someday. ;)

Bless your heart, I'll bet he didn't mind you tearing up at all. In fact, it would be a bit insulting if you didn't.

Aside from rum I don't know of anything to help you sleep. 8)

It will get easier. As he becomes more confident in his independence you'll be more confident in his safety/well being/choices/absence.

Ours comes home for fall break on Friday! We are very excited! He'll puff nasty cigars in my den, insist on grilling every meal, make fun of my horses (and my music, and my opinions) trash his room again, and force us to watch all his favorite movies. And my faithful dog will desert me for him while he's here! Love it when he's home!

We had talked last night, and he admitted that he feels overwhelmed at times with the whole idea of having to make adult-sized decisions on his own. He and I had a good cry together. So today, I was hoping to be upbeat for his sake. At least I didn't get him started crying again too. Dh spoke with him later, though, and ER was fine.

melatonin, which is completely natural. I think I've read that the good effects of Valerian drop off after a while; in other words, I think (but please don't quote me until you've verified this somewhere else) that Valerian or Valerian tea works for a couple of weeks, but is less effective after that. I think melatonin continues to work.

Big :grouphug: to you and prayers for your adjustment.

I've heard of this, but never had any. Where can I buy it? Do you have a favorite brand?

I actually took it in capsule form -- I found it at a drugstore. I remember it helping me relax, but I admit I had been hoping for something stonger at that time. I haven't had any sleep issues for the last few years, though.