Menu

Doctor confirmed movable lump

crazyforlatin

I was hoping it would just disappear, but the doctor confirmed yesterday that left side has a movable lump. He wants me to do a mammogram and ultrasound. I opted for an ultrasound first since I've never had a mammogram and hope to avoid it until it's required.

The doctor won't discuss with me the next step after ultrasound/mammogram, but he did say he would refer me to a general surgeon. So whether it's benign or cancerous, I don't know what it's expected.

Of course, I must be in denial because right afterwards I asked about geriatric pregnancies (hello, 43 yo) and he wants me to focus on the lump.

I'm not sure what to ask here (though prayers would be greatly appreciated) but if you have had a movable lump, please share with me anything, even what I should be asking the doctor. I don't want to google anything right now

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 1

If there is a lump, you may want to ask about an alternative to mammogram (I'm thinking MRI?). I wouldn't want to apply mammogram pressure and risk any sort of disturbance of the lump. Hopefully those with more experience/knowledge will weigh in.

I am sorry, I hope that it turns out to be benign.

• Like 2

First, above all, good luck.  Secondly, I suggest that you do both the Mammogram and the Ultrasound examinations, as your M.D. suggested to you.  One or two days ago, Gerry Willis, of Fox Business Network, announced that she has Breast Cancer. She'd had a Mammogram examination 6 months ago.   The type of Cancer that she has takes a different form and is apparently extremely difficult to spot on a Mammogram examination. Whether or not the Cancer she has existed 6 months ago, when she had the Mammogram examination, or is a recent occurrence, I believe is a question only God can answer.  Again, much good luck to you!, 

• Like 2

It's my understanding that a moveable lump is more likely to be benign than one that is fixed. I've had benign cysts diagnosed by ultrasound. Mine come and go and are affected by hormones.

I'll pray. I really do think everything will be fine.  :grouphug:

• Like 8

Cysts are benign and very, very common.

In my early 40's I was diagnosed with a benign fibroadenoma, which is also fairly common.  I eventually had to have it removed (lumpectomy) because it got so big it was interfering with radiologists' ability to read my mammograms.

I think statistically the vast majority of breast lumps are benign.  So try not to worry, although I know that's a LOT easier said than done.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

I was also thinking cyst. I would probably do both procedures in order to get a baseline and know what a cyst (hopefully) appears like on the mammogram. Subsequent mammograms are always compared  to previous exams, so it seems like a good idea to get this on record.

• Like 3

Get the tests the doctor ordered. They aren't going to squish your bosums enough to pop anything (although it can feel it it!!!! alas!!!) and if the lump is just a benign cyst (odds favor this) you will have a baseline mammogram that future ones can be compared too. Good luck, keep us posted.

• Like 4

I have these, moveable cysts. Many. So for me mammograms would be agony so I opt for ultrasound. I had a lumpectomy on the first one and when confirmed to be a cyst, I did not have to have more biopsies. So far, knock on wood, none of them have become big enough since that first to require further lumpectomies. So I hope for you that your consition is the same and that everything is okay. Many hugs!

• Like 1

Cysts are benign and very, very common.

In my early 40's I was diagnosed with a benign fibroadenoma, which is also fairly common.  I eventually had to have it removed (lumpectomy) because it got so big it was interfering with radiologists' ability to read my mammograms.

I think statistically the vast majority of breast lumps are benign.  So try not to worry, although I know that's a LOT easier said than done.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I had a fibroadenoma in my early 40s that prompted a biopsy-most unpleasant- then a wait and see if it got bigger response by the Doc. Now past menopause, the fibroadenoma is gone. Get the lump checked out. You will sleep better.

• Like 2

I'm so grateful to everyone who posted. I still haven't googled anything - I just want to read things here for now. I feel better just reading your experiences and advice, and I'm trying to get the earliest ultrasound appointment now. I just don't how a mammogram machine would work on me - I have the body type of Keira Knightly. 

I had a fibroadenoma in my early 40s that prompted a biopsy-most unpleasant- then a wait and see if it got bigger response by the Doc. Now past menopause, the fibroadenoma is gone. Get the lump checked out. You will sleep better.

The doc said we could do a biopsy after mammo/ultrasound, but I'm starting to get an idea that it's rather painful.

I, too, have the body type of Kiera Knightly.

I went in for my 5th annual mammogram a few weeks ago and got a call back for more images. I ended up having an ultrasound as well and it turned out to be nothing. Not only do I have very little breast tissue, but the tissue I have is dense and lumpy. I have so many lumps it's ridiculous. The radiologist came in after the ultrasound visibly frustrated saying I have very challenging breast tissue to read.

All this to say, don't forgo the mammogram due to thinking you're too small...you'd be surprised at how they can take a little and get it screened. It also doesn't hurt (depending on the timing in your cycle)- I'm not sure if it is because I have so little tissue or what.

On the flip side, I wish I had the option of just going straight to the ultrasound after the callback because they took several more images before deciding they couldn't get a good reading of the area of concern. My books did NOT need the extra exposure to radiation.

But yeah...echoing others who are encouraging you to get that baseline mammogram.

Hugs to you. I understand the fear, but like many others have said...moveable is good.

• Like 1

I'm so grateful to everyone who posted. I still haven't googled anything - I just want to read things here for now. I feel better just reading your experiences and advice, and I'm trying to get the earliest ultrasound appointment now. I just don't how a mammogram machine would work on me - I have the body type of Keira Knightly.

The machines are adjustable to accomadate large and small breasts. It's not one size squishes all. I just had one, and had to go in for follow up 3D one and ultrasound. The ultrasound was the most uncomfortable part.

(All turned out fine)

• Like 1

most men have enough breast tissue for a mammogram. A skilled technician can do the mammogram.  They can also do a different version of a mammogram with some different equipment. Try not to worry. 

• Like 1

The doc said we could do a biopsy after mammo/ultrasound, but I'm starting to get an idea that it's rather painful.

My biopsy was no big deal at all.  A few pin prick sensations and a bit of pressure.  I went by myself and was secretly questioning whether I was making a wise decision, but in the end I was so glad I hadn't made DH take time off work.  But that's the only one I've ever had -- maybe how painful it is depends on the location?

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I think your plan is good to start with the ultrasound. If it's a movable lump, it's very likely to be a fluid-filled cyst, which is easily diagnosed by ultrasound. (It will look like a black hole if you're watching!)  Does it feel like a smooth sort of soft pebble?  If it's solid, they will likely need to go to mammo. (Solid is still likely benign.)

If the ultrasound is inconclusive, your insurance company will want a mammo before springing for an MRI. It will give you a baseline mammogram to compare any later imaging to. 

In your situation, I think there is little to worry about. Movable is good. Cancer feels like a hard rock, is not usually smooth,  and sticks to the tissue around it, so you can't usually move it. 

Get it checked out, but don't worry at this stage. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

I've had lots of moveable lumps!  They are generally benign cysts.  They do a mammogram, and then an ultrasound.  Usually during the ultrasound, they can determine that it's benign.  Once, they ordered an MRI and then determined it was benign.  Yet another time, they did a needle biopsy, and then determined it was benign.  I'm quite sure yours will be benign too! 

• Like 1

I don't think there was any pain at all for me. So at least any pain was at a level so low that I don't recall it. I tolerate injections, blood draws, IVs fine, so maybe for someone for whom those things are traumatic, it is a different experience. But like I said, there was no memorable pain involved for me. 

• Like 1

My biopsy was no big deal at all.  A few pin prick sensations and a bit of pressure.  I went by myself and was secretly questioning whether I was making a wise decision, but in the end I was so glad I hadn't made DH take time off work.  But that's the only one I've ever had -- maybe how painful it is depends on the location?

Or the physician's skill . Patient with an elevated anxiety level will increase pain as well. Doctor-patient relationship also can impact experience of pain.

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

Usually, they will schedule both the mammogram and the u/s together.  If possible, go to a center which has 3D mammograms (which are becoming more common.)  Mammogram techs are used to doing mammograms on all types/sizes of breasts, don't worry.

If after both, you need a biopsy, in my experience it is usually not done at the same appointment, but a subsequent appointment.  My biopsy was not painful at all.  They numb you up very well.  You feel pressure.  You have an ice pack to put in your bra (even if you don't normally wear one, bring one).  I was told I would have my pathology report within 24 hours and I did.  I basically went in the next day and she (my radiologist) told me the results. 

• Like 2