Menu

Suggestions for job description

Bonkers247

I've posted before about what my next school year looks like. My dh and I have decided to hire someone to help me out. I need someone who can cook, clean, and shop, with a good driving record to help drive the kids to and from activities and appointments, experience with special needs kids or teaching is a bonus. It should be about 4-5 hours a day, Monday through Friday. We're in a fairly low cost of living area and also need to figure out what a reasonable hourly rate would be for this. Any input?

Wanting the experience with special needs kids or teaching is going to up the expected pay rate, regardless of where you live. Is the person going to do all of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, shuttling kids? Or just some of it, as they support you in getting things done? Will you be present most of the time, with them as a support person? Or will they have authority over the kids? All of that should factor into job description. In a low cost of living area, without the special needs or teaching experience, probably around $15/hour (assuming this above board and you are doing taxes, etc since this is not just an occasional babysitter). With experience in special needs or teaching, you'll pay more.

Wanting the experience with special needs kids or teaching is going to up the expected pay rate, regardless of where you live. Is the person going to do all of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, shuttling kids? Or just some of it, as they support you in getting things done? Will you be present most of the time, with them as a support person? Or will they have authority over the kids? All of that should factor into job description. In a low cost of living area, without the special needs or teaching experience, probably around $15/hour (assuming this above board and you are doing taxes, etc since this is not just an occasional babysitter). With experience in special needs or teaching, you'll pay more.

They would be more of a support person. I will be around most of the time they are here. I'm not sure how to go about things as far as taxes go but we have someone prepare our taxes so I will be asking her what we need to do on that front.

Job description-wise, that sounds like you are looking for a part-time nanny. If you are able to be a bit flexible with your scheduling to work around their school schedule, a college student might be ideal for the position.

Edited by Lori D.

Job description-wise, that sounds like you are looking for a part-time nanny. If you are able to be a bit flexible with your scheduling to work around their school schedule, a college student might be ideal for the position.

I've always thought a nanny is someone who deals mostly with the kids. I am planning on doing most of that. Is there another term for what I'm wanting or does the term nanny still apply? I want to be as clear as possible in the job description.

It sounded like you wanted someone to help with teaching the kids in addition to around the house stuff.

Are you wanting someone mainly to help with household chores and cooking?

The main things are the chores, cooking, and errands (grocery shopping, etc.) I may need some help entertaining my two little boys while I'm working with the older kids with school but we'll see how that goes. I'm really trying to think through what I'll need help with the most. I'm hoping trying to answer questions here will help me clarify things a bit so keep asking them, please.

• Like 1

I've always thought a nanny is someone who deals mostly with the kids. I am planning on doing most of that. Is there another term for what I'm wanting or does the term nanny still apply? I want to be as clear as possible in the job description.

Some of the nannies I know do all this and more, but they are full-time and make a lot -- probably $80,000 a year when you add the overtime in. I think of them as governesses almost. They are amazing... and finding an awesome one seems like it's like winning the lottery, but I know 3 different families who really found the perfect people.

Edited by tm919

Personal Assistant/Nanny. Housekeeper?

Household Manager is a common one (especially when combined with nanny), but as you will be there giving lots of direction, that doesn't sound quite right.

Depending on your location and their experience, I'd expect to pay $15-25 an hour.

• Like 1

I have hired help easily for that sort of position.

I listed it as housekeeper/mother's helper. 

The reason I listed "housekeeper" as the first thing on my listing was that I didn't want to have a situation where someone only wanted to babysit and wouldn't be productive/helpful when the kids were busy or sleeping or whatever. I always made clear that kids were the first priority, but I expected my helpers to run the laundry or vacuum or wipe down the kitchen, etc, when they were on the clock if the kids were busy and happy. When you are hiring household help, IMHO, the best thing they can do for you (besides the vital role of keeping kids safe and well) is to do anything that can save YOU and your dh time. There's no reason to have paid help "above" doing the crap that you, their pay-er, does day in and day out. If you *ever* want that employee to clean for you, you best make that clear from the get-go, otherwise, eventually you're gonna' be paying the helper to be on FaceBook for hours while your kids are watching a movie . . . In my world, unless you have otherwise already hired out all your routine cleaning, then having a paid person clean for you makes great use of their time . . . to buy you a little more time playing on FaceBook yourself, lol (better yet, reading to the kids, working out, etc.)

In my area, I could easily hire someone great for that role at 10/hr. (Most entry level jobs pay minimum wage here, which is 8.25 now here in WV.) The thing is, you are offering regular, guaranteed hours, on a good schedule.

IME, if you treat employees with respect and appreciation and can offer some flexibility in scheduling, you can have your pick of lots of great folks. I successfully hired 4 household employees over the last 12 years, and none left my employ until they moved cross country, had a family medical (long term) situation come up, or I no longer needed their help. All 4 are still friendly and/or now are good friends (even the two who moved across country).  The trick, I think, was simply treating them respectfully. Low wage earners with low skill levels are often treated like cogs in a wheel in their work, so if you can treat them like an appreciated and vital part of your household, they will love working for you. 

If you can make it "mom friendly" (or grandma-who-takes-care-of-grands friendly) by having the hours only during school days, then you'll have lots of great applicants to choose from, especially if you can offer some flexibility for the employee to take off for sick-kid, etc, issues. I needed people year round, but I was able to at least let folks schedule their shifts during school hours when school was in session, and that allowed me to have more choices than I would have if I was totally inflexible in the hours.

Be sure to take the vetting/hiring process seriously. Take a couple weeks to advertise and get a dozen or more reasonable applicants. Choose carefully. Call all their references and at least their last 2 employers.

Since a big part of your job will be driving, I'd be sure to require a clean driving record and I *would* check it. I'd also check their criminal background and do a credit check.

Be sure to decide and make clear how you are going to handle sick days, your own family days when you travel, holidays, etc. You might want to offer a limited number of paid hours off for sick days, or not, but that's up to you. Whatever you do, just be super clear. In your case, I'd suggest using HOURS of paid leave (maybe 1 hour paid off for every paid 20 hours worked would be reasonable, IMHO, to start with). And count up how many weeks/days you won't need help, and specify that (with a range) ahead of time. I.e., if you specify that you'll designate up to 8 calendar weeks per year that you will not need/want help, and that you will give at least 4 weeks notice ahead of time, and that these weeks will not be paid. For some folks, if they know they'll get several weeks (even unpaid) off at the holidays and summers, they'd love it, but for others, that would be a real hardship. In your case, I'd suggest specifying that any cancelled (by you!) shifts/days with less than 4 weeks notice will still be paid (without coming out of their paid leave if you offer any), but any shifts (single days or entire weeks) cancelled with at least 4 weeks notice are unpaid, up to, say 40 shifts/days per year (8 weeks). Whatever you do, make sure it is simple and clear.

If you are paying under the table, then it's easier to get away with low pay (minimum wage + up to a couple more dollars), because some people (undocumented immigrants, folks collecting SSI or other subsidies based on low/no income, etc) will only be willing to work under the table.

If you are going to report this as "legal" income (which I would do in your shoes given the number of hours you are talking about), you'll have to spend a little (maybe $500 to get set up and another $100-or-so per quarter if you pay the CPA to do the filings for you) to get all set up with an Employer Tax ID and figure out withholdings, FICA, workers'  comp, unemployment insurance, etc. -- these things vary by state. I'd find a CPA or employment lawyer to help you. Then remember you'll pay 7.5% FICA on top of the wages . . . 

IME, I would pay legally from the get go on anyone you expect to pay more than $1000 or so in a year. If you start under the table, then when you later decide you need/want to be on the right side of the law, there is a good chance that your employee will either quit or expect a LARGE raise (as in 30% or more -- as they'll want their after tax income to remain unchanged). This can be a big problem, so I'd be legal from the get go on a regular long term employee. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 1

In my area, I could easily hire someone great for that role at 10/hr. (Most entry level jobs pay minimum wage here, which is 8.25 now here in WV.) The thing is, you are offering regular, guaranteed hours, on a good schedule.

I would have thought the $10-15 range except that the OP said she'd prefer special needs or teaching experience. That means this won't be the person's first job and they're likely past college age.

I have hired help easily for that sort of position.

I listed it as housekeeper/mother's helper. 

The reason I listed "housekeeper" as the first thing on my listing was that I didn't want to have a situation where someone only wanted to babysit and wouldn't be productive/helpful when the kids were busy or sleeping or whatever. I always made clear that kids were the first priority, but I expected my helpers to run the laundry or vacuum or wipe down the kitchen, etc, when they were on the clock if the kids were busy and happy. When you are hiring household help, IMHO, the best thing they can do for you (besides the vital role of keeping kids safe and well) is to do anything that can save YOU and your dh time. There's no reason to have paid help "above" doing the crap that you, their pay-er, does day in and day out. If you *ever* want that employee to clean for you, you best make that clear from the get-go, otherwise, eventually you're gonna' be paying the helper to be on FaceBook for hours while your kids are watching a movie . . . In my world, unless you have otherwise already hired out all your routine cleaning, then having a paid person clean for you makes great use of their time . . . to buy you a little more time playing on FaceBook yourself, lol (better yet, reading to the kids, working out, etc.)

IME, if you treat employees with respect and appreciation and can offer some flexibility in scheduling, you can have your pick of lots of great folks. I successfully hired 4 household employees over the last 12 years, and none left my employ until they moved cross country, had a family medical (long term) situation come up, or I no longer needed their help. All 4 are still friendly and/or now are good friends (even the two who moved across country).  The trick, I think, was simply treating them respectfully. Low wage earners with low skill levels are often treated like cogs in a wheel in their work, so if you can treat them like an appreciated and vital part of your household, they will love working for you. 

If you can make it "mom friendly" (or grandma-who-takes-care-of-grands friendly) by having the hours only during school days, then you'll have lots of great applicants to choose from, especially if you can offer some flexibility for the employee to take off for sick-kid, etc, issues. I needed people year round, but I was able to at least let folks schedule their shifts during school hours when school was in session, and that allowed me to have more choices than I would have if I was totally inflexible in the hours.

Be sure to take the vetting/hiring process seriously. Take a couple weeks to advertise and get a dozen or more reasonable applicants. Choose carefully. Call all their references and at least their last 2 employers.

Since a big part of your job will be driving, I'd be sure to require a clean driving record and I *would* check it. I'd also check their criminal background and do a credit check.

Be sure to decide and make clear how you are going to handle sick days, your own family days when you travel, holidays, etc. You might want to offer a limited number of paid hours off for sick days, or not, but that's up to you. Whatever you do, just be super clear. In your case, I'd suggest using HOURS of paid leave (maybe 1 hour paid off for every paid 20 hours worked would be reasonable, IMHO, to start with). And count up how many weeks/days you won't need help, and specify that (with a range) ahead of time. I.e., if you specify that you'll designate up to 8 calendar weeks per year that you will not need/want help, and that you will give at least 4 weeks notice ahead of time, and that these weeks will not be paid. For some folks, if they know they'll get several weeks (even unpaid) off at the holidays and summers, they'd love it, but for others, that would be a real hardship. In your case, I'd suggest specifying that any cancelled (by you!) shifts/days with less than 4 weeks notice will still be paid (without coming out of their paid leave if you offer any), but any shifts (single days or entire weeks) cancelled with at least 4 weeks notice are unpaid, up to, say 40 shifts/days per year (8 weeks). Whatever you do, make sure it is simple and clear.

If you are paying under the table, then it's easier to get away with low pay (minimum wage + up to a couple more dollars), because some people (undocumented immigrants, folks collecting SSI or other subsidies based on low/no income, etc) will only be willing to work under the table.

If you are going to report this as "legal" income (which I would do in your shoes given the number of hours you are talking about), you'll have to spend a little (maybe $500 to get set up and another $100-or-so per quarter if you pay the CPA to do the filings for you) to get all set up with an Employer Tax ID and figure out withholdings, FICA, workers'  comp, unemployment insurance, etc. -- these things vary by state. I'd find a CPA or employment lawyer to help you. Then remember you'll pay 7.5% FICA on top of the wages . . . 

IME, I would pay legally from the get go on anyone you expect to pay more than $1000 or so in a year. If you start under the table, then when you later decide you need/want to be on the right side of the law, there is a good chance that your employee will either quit or expect a LARGE raise (as in 30% or more -- as they'll want their after tax income to remain unchanged). This can be a big problem, so I'd be legal from the get go on a regular long term employee. 

Thank you for taking the time to type all of this out.  It's very helpful to hear from someone who has done this before. 

• Like 1

I would have thought the $10-15 range except that the OP said she'd prefer special needs or teaching experience. That means this won't be the person's first job and they're likely past college age.

In talking with others it would seem we should be looking for a college student who is maybe planning on going into a teaching career or a retired person who is just looking for something extra to do.  I'm not sure which would be the better fit.

Teacher's Aides in classrooms are paid VERY poorly in many areas. I think 10/hr is as much as that'd pay around here. Similarly, in-home nursing aides (CNA -- a week or so training) are also paid VERY poorly. 9-11/hr even with years of experience. 

As much as we'd like to think those important jobs should be well paid, they are not. It is rare for in home helpers to earn more than 12/hr or so. Period, no matter their experience or skill set. 

15/hr would be super awesome high pay for in home help in my parts (average COL and average-to-low wages, low unemployment, but most jobs are low wage unless someone has serious skills/education). I paid 14/hr for an aide for my mom (who had ALZ), and that was way over what she earned at agencies (10-12/hr was the MAX at any agency she could earn, despite over a decade of great experience, perfect work record, etc.) Plus, very minimal benefits at the agencies (maybe 1 wk/paid off per year and maybe a tiny bit of help with health insurance) whereas I gave 2+ wk/yr paid, guaranteed paid work for 90 days after Mom's death (so she'd have plenty of time to find a new position), and I was flexible with her schedule. She was delighted with the 14/hr. (And that was legal, taxes paid, etc, so it cost me more like 16/hr plus about 1000/yr in CPA fees). 

If you want someone to do seriously skilled work (as in a certified teacher) and need to pay accordingly, I'd probably segregate that role into fewer hours and hire separately for 5-10 hr/wk for that skilled higher paid position, and the remaining hours for less skilled/lower wage. 

Someone with more experience with kids plus all the cleaning/cooking would want at least $15 I'm thinking.  Especially including the driving part.  My daughter is getting $10 right now with no experience and no driving.  You need to be pretty reliable for me to let you cart my kids around.

ETA we are in a low COL with mostly minimum wage jobs.

Edited by goldberry

Maybe start at a lower rate for a 30 day probation?  That way you could see, if they are a really good fit and worth it, you won't mind paying a bit more to keep a good person.  I'm sure you could get people applying at a lower rate... but truthfully a great person is worth paying more to keep.

Teacher's Aides in classrooms are paid VERY poorly in many areas. I think 10/hr is as much as that'd pay around here. Similarly, in-home nursing aides (CNA -- a week or so training) are also paid VERY poorly. 9-11/hr even with years of experience. 

As much as we'd like to think those important jobs should be well paid, they are not. It is rare for in home helpers to earn more than 12/hr or so. Period, no matter their experience or skill set. 

15/hr would be super awesome high pay for in home help in my parts (average COL and average-to-low wages, low unemployment, but most jobs are low wage unless someone has serious skills/education). I paid 14/hr for an aide for my mom (who had ALZ), and that was way over what she earned at agencies (10-12/hr was the MAX at any agency she could earn, despite over a decade of great experience, perfect work record, etc.) Plus, very minimal benefits at the agencies (maybe 1 wk/paid off per year and maybe a tiny bit of help with health insurance) whereas I gave 2+ wk/yr paid, guaranteed paid work for 90 days after Mom's death (so she'd have plenty of time to find a new position), and I was flexible with her schedule. She was delighted with the 14/hr. (And that was legal, taxes paid, etc, so it cost me more like 16/hr plus about 1000/yr in CPA fees). 

If you want someone to do seriously skilled work (as in a certified teacher) and need to pay accordingly, I'd probably segregate that role into fewer hours and hire separately for 5-10 hr/wk for that skilled higher paid position, and the remaining hours for less skilled/lower wage. 

My initial reaction to wanting someone with experience with special needs made me think she was looking for someone with more education/experience than an aide. From the OP's further posts, I see she is not.

Edited by QueenCat

Could you hire a separate housekeeper? WHen I worked as a nanny, they had a separate housekeeper which meant I just tidied up. I prepped meals, grocery shopped, did afternoon carpool, took care of the baby during the day, helped with homework. I worked 30 hours a week or so and got paid $300 a week - 19 years ago. I was a former teacher and got to bring my baby to her house (our babies were two weeks apart); it was great. She owned her own business so she worked odd hours. Sometimes she was home during the day other times she was out.