Menu

visiting schools alone?

DD has never traveled alone so it wigs me out to think of it.  She keeps getting offers for her to visit, all expenses paid.  The most recent one was Swarthmore - for a full weekend.   :crying:

Tell me why or why this isn't a good idea?  â€‹I know, I know....she's about to embark on a big world and go to college BUT I was thinking I would walk her through her first flying experience first, you know?

She will be fine. Mine have flown alone overseas. All will be well. Just tell her exactly what to do at the airport on both ends and to text you as soon as she arrives.

It didn't post my response ... Again

I was going to say thank you! This makes me feel better - it gives me a more tranquil mind about it all 😂😂

Edited by Attolia

Talk to the admissions office. My DD was picked up at the airport by a college shuttle so very easy arrangements. Ask if you can borrow a sleeping bag when you arrive - that way she can carry on her luggage and not deal with that part. (Baggage fees were not included in the trip my DD was offered, so make sure you know what is and is not included in advance, and make sure your DD has some money or a credit/debit card for anything not included, for emergencies, and/or to buy a T-shirt in the campus store.)

I did buy DD an extra cell phone battery, because she has an older phone/battery and I wanted to make sure it didn't die en route.

• Like 1

Make plans for a quick trip this summer and fly somewhere for a few days! Let her do the navigating, while you are just observing, basically! Have fun for a few days, and repeat the process on the way home! Then it will be a familiar experience for your dd and you won't have the worries!

My oldest dd flew at 6 months old - and then nothing until her junior year in high school where she began a remarkable number of solo trips for various reasons. Taking her to the airport that first time was nerve wracking (one flight was late and she had to book it to catch her flight home - but she DID it just fine! Her luggage arrived the next day... lol). Through her flights, other things "went wrong" and she handled each one calmly and with a level head. It was remarkable. I even sent her on a solo trip out of the country over the summer, where all kinds of small glitches happened, and I was a nervous wreck... but she. did. just. fine!

She went on a few college visits without us, and they never once forgot to pick her up at the airport. ;)

• Like 1

My daughter also travelled solo for a few college visits.  Her first solo trip was by train to a college about an hour away.  A longer trip took place when she flew out for a scholarship event.  A longer trip occurred during spring break senior year when she visited two colleges; on that trip, she flew to one city then traveled by train to a second city.

One suggestion ~ if at all possible, do not have your child fly home on the last flight of the day.  My daughter's itinerary included one such flight and, when her earlier flight arrived late, she missed her connection.  She ended up spending the night in the airport as the next flight home did not leave until noon.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

If I recall correctly, Jane in NC might have something else to report on that front.

Regards,

Kareni

Uh-oh! lol

One organization DID get DDs arrival time mixed up with someone else's, so she had to sort through that confusion and go elsewhere at the airport to meet them... But it wasn't that stressful to did since she had *arrived* and there was plenty of places to sit, relax, and wait. :)

• Like 1