Menu

Immersion Reading - which kindle fire?

It works on the kids fire but only on an adult profile. You can not listen to audiobooks at all on a kid profile. I deleted the kids profile and put parental passwords and limits on an adult profile. The only thing worthwhile about the kids fire is the warranty. If I could do it again I would just have gotten the regular fire with a good cover rather then the kids fire.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

The main thing to look for, if you know you're going to use the kindle fire for audiobooks, is the double speakers.  The sound is noticeably louder/better, at least on the models I've tried.  My ds listens to his kindle AVIDLY, and loves, loves, loves the thing.  He even took the thing for a stupid dunk in the tub, which of course fried it when I plugged it in not realizing it was wet.  Anyways, we bought another one.  

Agree on just using the normal adult profile, not a kid profile.  I use parental controls to turn apps on/off.  We use the alarms on it a TON.  He uses it with earbuds too.  Battery life is great.  For the price, you really can't go wrong.  

For covers, I use a little $10 job I got on ebay.  The cover that got dunked in the tub survived, but I later replaced it.  The cheapie ebay thing really is adequate.  My ds is not exactly gentle, and has in fact thrown it to the ground when angry.  The unit survived.  I didn't, but the fire did, lol.

• Like 1

I was asking myself exactly this. DS is turning 6 and he loves audiobooks. AND just after his birthday we are embarking on a 15 hour plane/airport trip each way to the Caribbean this summer. It is interesting that you guys don't use the kids profiles. That means you can add the time limits and such just with a regular Kindle? Do you still use the Amazon Free time? 

We have prime. Does prime include enough good quality "app" games to download into the tablet? I've read that to add movies or shows to the tablet you have to buy them. We have a couple of kid movies digitally purchased on Amazon. I'd put those in to break the monotony of the 15 hours, but mostly I want to encourage reading and audiobook listening (which he does avidly already with library books and a boombox in his room).

If we don't need to buy the $100 kid tablet bundle of features that would be fantastic. In particular because I am willing to buy him 4 or 5 books for immersion reading right before the trip.

I was asking myself exactly this. DS is turning 6 and he loves audiobooks. AND just after his birthday we are embarking on a 15 hour plane/airport trip each way to the Caribbean this summer. It is interesting that you guys don't use the kids profiles. That means you can add the time limits and such just with a regular Kindle? Do you still use the Amazon Free time? 

We have prime. Does prime include enough good quality "app" games to download into the tablet? I've read that to add movies or shows to the tablet you have to buy them. We have a couple of kid movies digitally purchased on Amazon. I'd put those in to break the monotony of the 15 hours, but mostly I want to encourage reading and audiobook listening (which he does avidly already with library books and a boombox in his room).

If we don't need to buy the $100 kid tablet bundle of features that would be fantastic. In particular because I am willing to buy him 4 or 5 books for immersion reading right before the trip.

The kindle fire has WONDERFUL, detailed parental controls, so I don't need the kid account or freetime, no.  I just go in and turn the apps on and off.  At this age, they're either allowed at the time or not, kwim?  Not complicated.  And you can control whether the camera, the apps, the wifi, everything is on.  You can password lock features so they only change with the code.  LOVE that.

My ds is watching Popular Mechanics for Kids right now, and it streams on prime.  They also have Peg and Cat.  

Amazon Underground makes some apps free.  I pay for apps, but they're not very expensive.  I forget the name math is worth it.  It's the Numbers game.  Everybody has what they like.  My ds really likes all the versions of Angry Birds, and he REALLY likes simulators.  Hawk simulator, Cat simulator, you name it.  Goat Simulator is probably his favorite app in the WORLD.  As you play it, the thing adds more stuff.  It's crazy.  He says he learns things playing them.  I have no clue, lol.  I just know every kid he shows it to is entranced and it's NOT MINECRAFT.   :D

Might wanna get two pairs of earbuds in cases he loses one during the trip.  They need to be small to fit little kid ears.  My dd picked his last pair as his stocking stuffer, not sure where she got them.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Yes you can put time limits and other parental controls on an adult profile. They did not have access to audiobooks or movies on a kid profile. It was useless. All movies I brought on Amazon are on there. I put a parental setting that they need a password to watch a movie. I can also download 3 movies from Amazon prime before a trip with the Amazon app. They do not have as big as selection as apple for apps but it is decent.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

Just got the Kindle...

I feel old. I'm glad my son't birthday is in a few weeks because it's going to take me sometime to figure out the Kindle thingy. Learning curves... limited time to play with it without my kids noticing... lol.