Menu

Book suggestions for science fiction- 12 year

Any good book suggestions for my 12 year old boy?  He likes books with technology and cool invention type things.  I don't want Harry Potter type stuff (I did read them - they freaked me out - just don't want this child reading them - he's a little sensitive).  He also has read a bunch of classic type books.  And yes, he judges a book by it's cover.

Thanks!

Enders Game. 

ETA: I just reread your post.  If Harry Potter is too much I might rescind that suggestion. 

Edited by texasmom33

All of these are sci-fi, with a heavy dose of technology and inventions -- no personal experience with the second group of titles, but they look like they are geared for tweens, so less chance of language or mature topics and more of a chance they are geared for fun/adventure:

Tom Swift series (Appleton) -- titles from 3rd (1981-84), 4th (1991-93), 5th (2006-07) series
- Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, Wings (Pratchett)
- Leviathan, Goliath, Behemoth (Westerfeld) -- fun steam punk vehicles/devices in an alternate WW1 world
- Tripod series (Christopher) -- a quick-read series based on the idea of "what if the aliens of HG Wells' War of the Worlds had conquered Earth" -- more survival/dystopia based, but some alien tech
- Twenty One Balloons (duBois) -- fun inventions in a Jules Verne-like 19th century setting
- Airborn (Oppel) -- mystery flying creatures and attacking pirates, plus the tech of living on an airship 
- H.I.V.E. series (Walden)
- Eager (Fox)
- The Rule of Three series (Walters)
- Six (Alpert)

Probably at too young of a writing level (and, pretty old, as these were written in the 1950s-60s) is the Danny Dunn series -- just throwing that one out there in case it might be of interest to someone else with a young tween who loves science/tech based adventure stories. 😉

Edited by Lori D.

don't want Harry Potter type stuff (I did read them - they freaked me out - just don't want this child reading them - he's a little sensitive)

What does that mean? What do you think would be a problem? It's hard to suggest books when I'm not sure exactly what the limitation is :) Could you clarify? Are they too violent, or too Big Picture, or...?

• Like 1

Robert Heinlein's youth novels

Short story anthologies with classic Sci fi are great for that age.

Agreed.

For the Robert Heinlein youth novels, make sure they are definitely his youth novels.  His adult stuff is probably not what you are looking for if Harry Potter is too much.  Maybe start with Red Planet.  Some techy stuff, boyhood action/adventure, some funny moments, etc.  Actually I found it quite a fun book.  Nice, quick read.  I read it at his age and loved it.

Along those lines you might also look at Isaac Asimov's Lucky Starr series and Alan Dean Fosters Thranx universe books, including the Flinx series.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

Just thought of another series of stories based on inventions and boy hi-jinx: Mad Scientist Club (Brinley). NOT a sci-fi setting, but set in the time of their writing (1950s/60s), so pretty dated in the cultural aspect. But the engineering/invention aspects of the boys' pranks still holds up well.

Original Poster:
I just wanted to add that while there are a lot of great sci-fi and fantasy suggestions by the very kind posters in this thread, almost none have anything to do with technology and cool inventions, if that is what you are specifically wanting at this time. On the other hand, if you are just looking for books that might click with your 12yo regardless of tech/inventions aspect, then you've got a good list to work from here! 🙂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I second this, I read them in 5th grade and LOVED them (well, the ones that were written by then, I think there were only two at that were out by that time, there's been like three more since)

Also, for my 12th birthday, an aunt of mine gave me a book called Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffery.  It's not exactly targeted at that age group, and there *are* a couple of small parts that might be a little mature for the age group.  But that book launched me into a love of sci fi and fantasy that has followed me to this day. 

My nephew just turned 11 and he's really into the Percy Jackson books that someone else mentioned earlier.

I really liked The Ship Who Sang when I was reading McCaffery's books.

Edited by Bluegoat