Menu

help with Latin translation?

I'm learning Latin *with* my children, and I don't know anyone IRL to ask for grammar help.

In the sentence Magistri discipuli erant, could it be translated both "the teachers were students" AND "the students were teachers"? That doesn't seem right, but aren't both of the nouns in the nominative case? Does it matter which one is the subject and which is the predicate nominative?

THANK YOU if you can help! (Kid doesn't care, but I am curious.)

The book says "teachers are students," but I just heard a lecture about how word order doesn't matter as much in Latin as it does in English, so that made me curious.

Thank you!

(I guess in English it's totally word order that differentiates between subjects and predicate nominatives, huh?)

I love homeschooling.

Both are technically correct because "erant" is a linking verb (just like it is in English). Both linked nouns have the same endings (same "part of speech" if you prefer) because they are treated equally by the verb. However, in the absence of other indicators to the contrary, it is safe to assume an SOV word order for Latin, so if you have to pick just one, I'd go with "Teachers are students."

• Like 1

The book says "teachers are students," but I just heard a lecture about how word order doesn't matter as much in Latin as it does in English, so that made me curious.

Thank you!

(I guess in English it's totally word order that differentiates between subjects and predicate nominatives, huh?)

I love homeschooling.

It doesn't matter as much, but it does matter at times.
  • Like 1