Menu

Sign of the Beaver for High School?

lanabug

Would you assign Sign of the Beaver as part of a high school level literature class? I know a mom who assigned this for one of her kids and it really surprised me. My elementary age kids listened to it just a few months ago. Her kids are very smart, so I don't think it was a matter of needing a lower reading level.

Lana

Hmmm. I really like Center For Lit's idea of discussing a picture book prior to chapter books at even the middle/high school level. It can be fun, educational, and get kids into the swing of things. Or even reading a comic/picture book version of Shakespeare before cracking open The Tempest. For those reasons I'd say it probably depends on why this book was assigned. Truthfully I am having a hard time thinking of what that reason could be. I don't personally like the book.

• Like 3

I wouldn't use it for a "literature" class, even in the earlier grades. History, maybe. I would not assign it for history or lit at the high school level.  But, there must be some reason for the choice for that particular student.

Edited by yvonne

Unless there's a special need or a strong interest I wouldn't hand that particular book to mine for high school, but I'm pretty defensive of what we'll include. There are about a bajillion sturdy, rich, light/heavy, wonderful options you could cover for high school that would be more likely to meet a high schooler where they're at. There's only so much time in the day and year and gosh does the time fly. You're laboring over the lesson plans and trying to stack it just so, and poof, it's time to calculate final grades and update the transcript.

• Like 1