Menu

Recommend a book for my picky reader?

Ds11 is a tough reading customer. I'm pretty knowledgeable about children's books, but he seems to gravitate specifically toward books that I've never heard of (is this a genre? books Farrar doesn't know? because if so, that's his genre). I guess that's cool - there are some children's authors that I've found through him finding the book at the library or asking for help at the bookstore, which is neat for me, but it's difficult when I'm trying to suggest a book.

His all time favorite book ever is Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce (excellent book, by the way) BUT he's not been a fan of Boyce's other great work, like Millions (What the heck, right?). He liked The Homework Machine by Dan Gutman a lot and he likes Gutman's other non-sports books. He enjoyed the Secret Series, though he gave up on it after the third or fourth book. He likes all the Lemoncello books. He really liked The Terrible Thing that Happened to Barnaby Brocket. His most recent read that he really liked was The Ministry of Ghosts. Oh, and he reads Wimpy Kid and lots of graphic novels as well.

I guess if I had to peg him to a type, he likes books that are a little funny, a little quirky, and a little sad, with a touch of supernatural elements in an otherwise ordinary world to them. British authors a slight plus.

However, when I suggest books that I think fit that - say, the Benedict Society books or Savvy or A Tangle of Knots or all those Wendy Mass birthday books - he rejects them or starts them and then rejects them after a few chapters.

He's a good reader, though he's still solidly in middle grades, not YA fiction just as his interest level. He's a boy, but he doesn't mind girl protagonists. Anyone?

Along a similar line to the Lemoncello books is Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertram:  http://amzn.com/1250079802

My DD who adores all puzzle/mystery books says this one is her current favorite.  Only one out so far, with another one due next January.   

We haven't read this one yet, but The Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric Berlin (http://amzn.com/0142413887) is another puzzle/treasure hunt sort of book that sounds good to us, and DD plans to read it soon.

• Like 1

Oh, The Book Scavenger sounds like it has potential.

We've read all the Winston Breen books. They're great. Ds did like all of them, but we started the series as read alouds, so according to ds's rules of books, they had to be finished that way too for some reason.

The Frank Einstein books are definitely too easy. His brother was gifted one and they enjoyed it and all, but it was too simple, I think.

We read aloud most of Roald Dahl when he was younger. He liked them fine, but they weren't super favorites or anything. He just read Boy recently and it was enjoyed, but I couldn't interest him in Flying Solo, unfortunately.

I tried to get him to try those Stuart Gibbs books at one point, but no dice. They seemed perfect. I'll see if he might like The London Eye Mystery. I liked that one though, and it seems he dislikes the books I already know!

Do you have a Goodreads account? You can look for recommendations based on books he likes or doesn't like. You would have to create a shelf for him, it does better with the more books you rate. I've never done this for my kids but it works well for me.

• Like 1

Has he tried anything by Gordon Korman? I find him quirky and funny. Some of them might be too easy, but there are a few with high school protagonists that are probably the right level.

We loved the 2 Masterminds books!

• Like 1

Half Magic (and sequels) (in the older but quirky category)

Ben and Me (ditto)

The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Gaiman)

Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (and sequels)

The Once and Future King (classic but very funny, and very British)

I imagine he has already read all the Harry Potter books?  There is a new one coming out in July, with attendant midnight book release parties.

He might like Incorrigible Children just because I couldn't stand it...

I didn't hate the books, but I *did* hate that you had to get the next books to finish the story. What a scam! DS received the books as a gift, so it didn't affect my pocketbook, but really, I was so annoyed by that. I've noticed it in a number of book series he has read lately. I despise this trend!

• Like 2

Polly Horvath, The Pepins and their Problems

Alan Cumyn, The Secret Life of Owen Skye and sequels

Alan Snow, The Ratbridge Chronicles

Tim Wynne-Jones, Rex Zero trilogy (nothing supernatural)

Philip Ardagh, Eddie Dickens trilogy

Kaye Umansky, Solomon Snow, etc.

Philip Reeve, Larklight books

James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks, The Wonderful O, The White Deer

JBS Haldane, My Friend Mr. Leakey

Penelope Lively, The Voyage of the QV66

Joan Aiken, Felix trilogy (exciting, some supernatural elements, not really funny at all)

Mary Clive, Christmas with the Savages

Has he read the Green Knowe books? (LM Boston) Not really funny, but some of the best kids' supernatural books around, I always think.

• Like 1