Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

I'm sitting in my reserved seat at the DMV. (LOL)

This is the third time I've been here in two weeks, and I'll be back yet tomorrow too.

Repeating to myself: "I WILL get these four boys licensed, I WILL get these four boys licensed, I WILL get these four boys licensed..."

So far we are zero for four. Grrr...

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 19

How long is the wait usually?  The past two times I've had to go to the DMV, it was over three hours. Just curious if it's the same everywhere. 

How long is the wait usually? The past two times I've had to go to the DMV, it was over three hours. Just curious if it's the same everywhere.

I think it depends on what you're there for. Do you mean for a driving test?

Around here, the DMV is pretty fast, but I haven't waited through a driving test, so I don't know. But this is in a mosty rural area.

Back in the old neighborhood everything took days. I think I might still be waiting there at the DMV and everything that's happened in the past decade is just a dream. I'll wake up any minute now, still sitting at the DMV.

• Like 2

This is the third time I've been here in two weeks, and I'll be back yet tomorrow too.

Repeating to myself: "I WILL get these four boys licensed, I WILL get these four boys licensed, I WILL get these four boys licensed..."

So far we are zero for four. Grrr...

Has the test gotten a lot more difficult in recent years? It seems like most of the teenagers I know have to take the test multiple times.

How long is the wait usually?  The past two times I've had to go to the DMV, it was over three hours. Just curious if it's the same everywhere. 

In our area it isn't too bad because the DMV no longer provides drivers exams or tests.  You have to go through a separate company for that, and then the DMV provides just the licence part.  It costs more this way, but the DMV isn't bogged down with all that extra work.  Pretty much everything that is done at the DMV now, could be done in a little kiosk.  The verify documents and print licences for drivers and vehicles.....that is pretty much it.

The driving schools provide all tests here, so you pay them for all of the testing and drives. You make and appointment for all of the testing so even there you don't really have to wait much over what the exam actually takes.

Has the test gotten a lot more difficult in recent years? It seems like most of the teenagers I know have to take the test multiple times.

In our area, yes it is much harder.

Here, they don't have to pass the parallel parking part but it really drops their score if they don't pass it. They are expected to attempt it. When dd took her test he had her parallel park behind  a semi truck on the side of the road.  She can parallel park fine, but using the semi truck for her reference point really messed up her distance to curb perception, since you start out so much further away from the curb.  She was a couple inches too far away at the end. 

They also have to Back around a corner, keeping the car within 18 inches of the curb (mimics backing out of a driveway/alley).  When backing around the corner they have to completely stop for the cross walks.  She passed this part fine.

She also was docked points for driving with one hand for a couple of minutes.  My car is an automatic that she was testing in, but the car that she was going to be driving was a manual. She was driving the manual car more than the automatic right before the test, and she had gotten used to having only one hand on the wheel when accelerating from a stop.

She passed the test, but barely.  I know she is a good driver, but it was some details like these that made it seem like she may not be.   The drivers test in our area is 20-30 minutes long.  The driving school she went to had very high ratings for producing safer drivers, compared to other schools in our area.  Our state requires driving school to get a licence under the age of 18.  I know the driving instructors were considered more strict that other driving schools.  That is why we chose them, even though they were the most expensive in town.  

Ds passed easily the first time.  

My driving test 20+ years ago, was in a little town and they pretty much tested on basic things...starting/stopping at the right time, lane management, turn signals, yielding right of way, etc.  I don't think my entire drive was 10 minutes long.  (I still remember the path we took).  When we got back to the DMV, my score was high enough that the tester didn't even have me parallel park. They said I would pass either way, so I didn't have to try.  That was really common in our town. 

One down, three to go!

:hurray:  (and to hold in reserve for the next few weeks :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: )

:auto:  :auto:  :auto:  :auto:

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

Here the test starts with the parallel parking, and if you don't do it perfectly, you immediately fail.

Today ds passed, but was docked points for not using his turn signal within the parking lot of the DMV when they returned from his on-street driving.

Whatever. He passed. Although I gotta say that it's a little ridiculous that he failed on Friday and passed the next Monday. It's not like he miraculously improved his driving skills over the weekend.

• Like 10

One of our local DMV used to fail every teen the first time.  But now the classes are law so they do the test and you just show up to get the license card.

I feel your pain. Took my dd 4 tries just to pass the WRITTEN test for her permit. This is an A student in honors classes, but the test is ridiculously nit-picky and designed to make people fail. A friend's son was taking the test for a commercial driver's license (and failed) and said one of the questions was "what is the fine for driving an ambulance without a license?" It's that level of ridiculousness--nothing that means you don't have the NECESSARY knowledge to drive! Anyway, after that experience, she is now in an approved driver's ed course where if she passes the drive test with her instructor at the end, she doesn't need to take the DMV drive test.

And for those wondering, my insurance went up $753/6mos today.

Went up to that amount, or by that amount (because wow, that's just under what I pay per year with 2 cars)!

This is why I'm in no hurry for my son to get a license.  Yeek!

Went up to that amount, or by that amount (because wow, that's just under what I pay per year with 2 cars)!

This is why I'm in no hurry for my son to get a license. Yeek!

Went up by that amount, above what we already pay.

Edited by Kinsa

My 20yr old son passed the written test on the first try (hallelujah!), but failed the on-road exam with the state trooper a few months ago. He stopped in the crosswalk, instead of before it, and was automatically failed. He had to wait until he was 18 to even get his permit, as his epilepsy wasn't under control due to constant growth spurts/weight gain/medication dosage changes. I've only driven with him a few times (my car is a stick, he usually drives with my mother), but he's pretty good for a newbie. The problem is that he isn't the 'go-getter' type, so he has no plans to take the exam again in the near future. Grrrr...

And for those wondering, my insurance went up $753/6mos today.

Holy crap. So what happens when you add the others, if you don't mind my asking? Will increase again per kid or does that kind of cover it?

Holy crap. So what happens when you add the others, if you don't mind my asking? Will increase again per kid or does that kind of cover it?

It will go up that amount per driver, I'm assuming.

Yes, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Edited by Kinsa

It will go up that amount per driver, I'm assuming.

Yes, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Wow. No wonder so many kids don't get their licenses at 16 any more. I knew it was bad but not that bad!

Wow. No wonder so many kids don't get their licenses at 16 any more. I knew it was bad but not that bad!

Yeah, I put it off as long as I reasonably could. However, we are now at a critical point in our lives where it is not just wanted but actually needed. It can't be put off any longer.

I'm not totally sure of this, but I think my insurance will increase by roughly $6000 per year (above what we already pay) once I get all four boys licensed.

Eta: I'm not sure of this. We'll see how it plays out once the licenses come.

Edited by Kinsa

I bring my 16year old next week. I hope he passes I need another driver by the end of the summer and it's hard to get an Open appointment.

Edited by lynn

Went up by that amount, above what we already pay.

Out of idle curiosity (ok, more like vested interest for the future), is that with USAA?

• Like 1

I'm not totally sure of this, but I think my insurance will increase by roughly $6000 per year (above what we already pay) once I get all four boys licensed.

:scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :ack2:

Hopefully Big Bend is a very safe drivers's haven and low cost place to insure! It's got to be cheaper than SA at least I would hope. That's nuts. You're one nice mamma- those boys better be handing out some hugs! 

I think it depends on what you're there for. Do you mean for a driving test?

Around here, the DMV is pretty fast, but I haven't waited through a driving test, so I don't know. But this is in a mosty rural area.

Back in the old neighborhood everything took days. I think I might still be waiting there at the DMV and everything that's happened in the past decade is just a dream. I'll wake up any minute now, still sitting at the DMV.

It is 3 hours for anything.  The last time was for a learner's permit that included a written test, and the time before that was for a state ID.  It looked to be pretty much the same wait for everything.  Not looking forward to having to go back for the next kid. 

Out of idle curiosity (ok, more like vested interest for the future), is that with USAA?

Yep, sure is.

Yeah, I put it off as long as I reasonably could. However, we are now at a critical point in our lives where it is not just wanted but actually needed. It can't be put off any longer.

Eta: I'm not sure of this. We'll see how it plays out once the licenses come.

OH MY WORD

I've got one more to go. Here the online test gets them their permit, then about eight months later we hire a driving instructor to "polish" and test. The insurance discount and having an adult repeat the same messages makes it well worth it to me.

But that learner's permit. My oldest spent FOUR months studying and then missed zero. OK, but I was about to go crazy waiting for him to be ready. That meant that he got his license just weeks before college started.

I told #2 that we're going in mid-June. PERIOD. I want to get some of the early parent lessons done before school starts and have her licensed the summer before college.

Edited by G5052

It is 3 hours for anything.  The last time was for a learner's permit that included a written test, and the time before that was for a state ID.  It looked to be pretty much the same wait for everything.  Not looking forward to having to go back for the next kid. 

Same here. A minimum of three hours. Of course if you leave, you start over in the queue. And a parent has to stay if they're under 18.

Agony!

:banghead:  Was going to send DH w/eldest last week to DMV to take permit written test. DD said she wasn't ready.

DH has since decided DD doesn't deserve to take said test (or Drivers Ed, which she's already signed up & paid for).  :banghead:

If it wasn't for Drivers Ed, I'd agree in a heartbeat.  :ack2:  She can just ride her bike. I don't want to see the increase in insurance rates, either.  :blink:  (It shouldn't be that bad for her - girl & all.)

It will get worse.   June/July is the worst.   That is when they get a big batch of kids getting their learner's permits.   

We got married in August, but I didn't get around to changing my name until June when I was 8 months pregnant.   I waited 4 hours one day, then 5 hours the next, and I forget how much the third time.   The first two days I had to leave to go somewhere else.  

I hint I later learned for Texas DMV.   Go shortly before they close.  There is a rule that no one gets overtime unless everyone gets overtime.  Which means no one can leave until everyone can leave.   So, all these people in the back office come out and process people at the end of the day and people really move through.  

• Like 1

It will get worse. June/July is the worst. That is when they get a big batch of kids getting their learner's permits.

We got married in August, but I didn't get around to changing my name until June when I was 8 months pregnant. I waited 4 hours one day, then 5 hours the next, and I forget how much the third time. The first two days I had to leave to go somewhere else.

I hint I later learned for Texas DMV. Go shortly before they close. There is a rule that no one gets overtime unless everyone gets overtime. Which means no one can leave until everyone can leave. So, all these people in the back office come out and process people at the end of the day and people really move through.

That is an interesting tip. I can't imagine though how much more hospitable their attitudes must be at quitting time. Eek!

Do you have to insure your three oldest year-round if they are at college most of the year? My son didn't get his license until right before he left for college, and we never insured him at all. Our agent said it was fine for him to drive occasionally on school breaks without him being specifically on our policy, just as a friend or relative might occasionally drive our car. But he never spent a summer break at home, and if memory serves, his college needed to either be a certain distance away or he needed to live off-campus in order for the exemption to apply.

And at least around here, the best way to get through the DMV quickly is to go to a small town, not the big cities or suburbs. For us, a twenty minute drives means we can be in and out in under half an hour, even with two of us. But we didn't let our son take his driving test in a rural location. We wanted him tested under the regular city driving conditions he would normally experience.

Edited by Frances

:banghead: Was going to send DH w/eldest last week to DMV to take permit written test. DD said she wasn't ready.

DH has since decided DD doesn't deserve to take said test (or Drivers Ed, which she's already signed up & paid for). :banghead:

If it wasn't for Drivers Ed, I'd agree in a heartbeat. :ack2: She can just ride her bike. I don't want to see the increase in insurance rates, either. :blink: (It shouldn't be that bad for her - girl & all.)

The rates anymore are not that much different between a male or female. Just a few dollars. Rates don't go up until they actually have their license though.

I failed the test and was pretty averse to driving; my parents finally bought me a driver's ed class in Kansas for Christmas one year (I was 20), and when I finished the class I was given a license (no test).

I was a fine driver - I just had been taught at first by my mother, who said things like, "Oh, that's a crosswalk line, but no one stops back there.  Pull right over it," or "don't bother signalling if there's no one around, no one does that," etc.  Practical advice but not great for the DMV people.

• Like 1

Yep, sure is.

:eek:  I was holding out on the thought that USAA would be reasonable!! 

Seems like I'm in need of a *runs to put way more $$ into our savings account* emoji. I almost don't want to wish your sons good luck at that price! ;) 

After yesterday that's now referred to as "the lucky spot".

It must be! We're now two for four! Time to make yet another phone call to the insurance company! (Groan)

• Like 9

:eek:  I was holding out on the thought that USAA would be reasonable!! 

Seems like I'm in need of a *runs to put way more $$ into our savings account* emoji. I almost don't want to wish your sons good luck at that price! ;)

Mine may just have to get a job before he learns to drive. He can be on my policy, but pay the difference in insurance himself.