Menu

Fun, Educational Independent Activities for Kindergarten

Bonkers247

I will need to keep my kindergartner occupied while I work with his older siblings.  I'm looking for lots of educational toys, games, and videos for him for next school year.  He's the type of kid that gets into trouble if not occupied.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Like 1

My 5yos liked these last year:

Rush hour Jr

Snap Circuits Jr (I explained the 1st few times, then he went to town with them, at the table with us, under my eye)

Zoobs

Bunch'ems

Tons of "games" I printed off/made from teachers pay teachers, etc (animal sort by habitat, rhyming words)

maze books

dot to dot (1-100 book from amazon)

tanagrams (put magnets on the back and use a cookie tray)

Pattern blocks and building challenge cards (check pinterest, tons of free printables)

playing with a scale and weighing things (I have this bucket scale: http://smile.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Primary-Bucket-Balance/dp/B000296LRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463337509&sr=8-1&keywords=learning+scale and these weights, http://smile.amazon.com/Hexagram-Weights-Set-LER-4292/dp/B000URFT3G/ref=pd_sim_229_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41KAs-b4w6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0G1FVA43MA7SJM7ZGH9D )

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 2

My 5yos liked these last year:

Rush hour Jr

Snap Circuits Jr (I explained the 1st few times, then he went to town with them, at the table with us, under my eye)

Zoobs

Bunch'ems

Tons of "games" I printed off/made from teachers pay teachers, etc (animal sort by habitat, rhyming words)

maze books

dot to dot (1-100 book from amazon)

tanagrams (put magnets on the back and use a cookie tray)

Pattern blocks and building challenge cards (check pinterest, tons of free printables)

playing with a scale and weighing things (I have this bucket scale: http://smile.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Primary-Bucket-Balance/dp/B000296LRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463337509&sr=8-1&keywords=learning+scale and these weights, http://smile.amazon.com/Hexagram-Weights-Set-LER-4292/dp/B000URFT3G/ref=pd_sim_229_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41KAs-b4w6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0G1FVA43MA7SJM7ZGH9D )

These all look like things my son would love! His birthday is coming up soon and I think I know what he's going to get!

moon sand

playing in the sink with various things

Kumon workbooks (the cutting and paper craft ones are fun, but some of that may require help)

Letter Factory videos

magnatiles

Is moon sand fairly neat? I can image it ground into my carpet and stuck to my blinds...

I have the original Letter Factory dvd somewhere...

He loves the magnatiles at the children's museum.

I'll have to see what Kumon workbooks he might like.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't like sand so bought some cheap rice for dd at that age. She could only play with it on a splat mat and had to clean up her mess. We had laminate floors but you might need to limit it to just tile areas like the foyer.

Lots of colored pencils (none of mine ever liked crayons) and blank paper. Dd would sit in front of the abc wall chart and copy the letters.

Kumon books were awesome! R&S PreK wkbks were loved, too. I think we used A, C, and the cut and paste ones only. She did them each twice!

Lots of art stuff- stickers, etc. and let him go at it.

LEGOS!!!

PlayDoh

Computer Stuff:

www.starfall.com. They have a math one now but it isn't free I don't think.

K12 has a fun interactive set of things but you have to pay $250 for 12 month access. They do have monthly plans.

Time4Learning is fun too and costs much less.

pbskids.org

Videos:

Letter Factory

Magic SchoolBus

Wild Kratts

any other science ones your library has

Blue Planet

Planet Earth (but you do see animals eating other animals)

Life of Birds

Can you tell I have science fiends?

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paradox5

I don't like sand so bought some cheap rice for dd at that age. She could only play with it on a splat mat and had to clean up her mess. We had laminate floors but you might need to limit it to just tile areas like the foyer.

Lots of colored pencils (none of mine ever liked crayons) and blank paper. Dd would sit in front of the abc wall chart and copy the letters.

Kumon books were awesome! R&S PreK wkbks were loved, too. I think we used A, C, and the cut and paste ones only. She did them each twice!

Lots of art stuff- stickers, etc. and let him go at it.

LEGOS!!!

PlayDoh

Computer Stuff:

www.starfall.com. They have a math one now but it isn't free I don't think.

K12 has a fun interactive set of things but you have to pay $250 for 12 month access. They do have monthly plans.

Time4Learning is fun too and costs much less.

pbskids.org

Videos:

Letter Factory

Magic SchoolBus

Wild Kratts

any other science ones your library has

Blue Planet

Planet Earth (but you do see animals eating other animals)

Life of Birds

Can you tell I have science fiends?

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great list!  Thank you for your recommendations.