Menu

Options for Fine Arts Credit in High School??

Question for parents of high schoolers- how do you get the Fine Arts credit covered other that traditional art class, dance, music, drama or chorus? I am looking for more unconventional ideas to fill 1 credit.

Thank you.

Edited by housemouse
  • Like 1

My 10th grader did a semester of glass blowing and glass art and will do a semester of ceramics.  My rising 9th grader will do a semester of digital arts and a semester of ceramics, my daughter will most likely do photography.  Alternatively we are thinking about a semester of wood block printing, calligraphy and silk or screen printing.

We don't actually have to do it for our state req's but I'm requiring it.... DD will be getting it from her time spent doing stage crew for local theater.  Of course she's decided to make a career in theater (cause Psychology is to lucrative?) so no problems there(she also draws constantly and is working through the AP Art from Acellus). DS will do 3-D type design maybe an online class.... I don't know really, I'll be pretty much "forcing" him so the very minimum will be accomplished I'm sure. 

Question for parents of high schoolers- how do you get the Fine Arts credit covered other that traditional art class, dance, music, drama or chorus? I am looking for more unconventional ideas to fill 1 credit.

Thank you.

My stepdaughter took one glass work class and one pottery class. They also can do filmmaking, which looked cool, and web design.

I didn't think art history or phil. art or anything counted for fine arts. I mean, if it can, by all means go for it--I just didn't think so.

My daughter is taking an AP art drawing course next year, and also will continue her once a week art lessons. I totally consider that fine arts. ;)

I will also be having her take at least one year of a language other than English.

Mine is pretty traditional, but just wanted to share.

If your kid is mathy, and you need ONE credit, you could do a study of the aesthetics of graphs using a study of Tuft: The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, with assignments to graph statistics from eight different popular science articles using pen and paper, embodying Tuftian principles.

It's a GREAT book for any mathy person. Ideal for the child who "hates" art, likes science, but who needs some lessons in aesthetics. It is definitely a classic.

One per week. That's a credit, right?

- Performing Arts: Music, Drama, Dance (actual performing/doing)
- Studio Arts (hands-on 3-D types of media: jewelry-making, pottery, sculpting, woodworking, glassblowing or fusing or stained glass, etc.)
- Visual Arts (creating art such as drawing, watercolors, painting, print-making, etc.)
- Design Principles (course on color, line, form, structure, etc. that applies to any of the visual arts)
- Composing (creating/writing music and/or lyrics)
- Choreography (composing of dance for performance)
- Filmmaking
- Photography (print or digital; if print photography, a course focusing on darkroom techniques; etc.)
- Digital Arts (graphic design, web design, Photoshop, computer animation, etc.)
- Appreciation course (Art / Architecture / Music / Drama / Film / Photography -- learning history, artists, movements, and deeper understanding of specific works in a particular medium)

And, of course, you could do an Introduction to Fine Arts credit, with 9 weeks (1 quarter) each of 4 different options.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

My son did a class from Potter's School called Computer Aided Drafting & Design for Mechanical Engineering.  When we then enrolled in an International School they counted it as a fine arts credit since it's primarily computer aided drawing.

This is my area, love it!!!!

I was just thinking, if you want to hit both visual and performance at the same time, you could do a one credit Visual and Performing arts class.  Do a half semester of visual (drawing, painting, photography), do a half semester of Theater (see a show, learn stage directions, maybe study a play, see a ballet, take a ballroom lesson), half semester of Music (go to the symphony, study biographies of the masters, do some reading music exercises), and then New Media (film, digital, graphic design). 

I had a college class that did this, it was something all art majors had to do in their freshman year.  hmmm, this sounds like a wonderful coop class. 

• Like 1