Menu

Would you buy a house that a suicide had ocurred in?

ondreeuh

We are selling a house out of state. The long-term renters lost their teenage son to a self-inflicted gunshot wound. :crying: We hired a local professional cleanup company to clean up the basement - there is no sign that anything was wrong (no stains or any other indicators). They then decided to move, and we put the house on the market since we don't have interest in continuing to be long-distance landlords.

Our realtor has gotten feedback from a couple of interested parties that they will not put in an offer because of the suicide. Now, in this state, there is no obligation to disclose, and we didn't disclose it. It is a neighbor who is sharing that info. Not sure if this neighbor is going out of her way to "warn" prospective buyers, or if the interested parties ask around for info. Well an offer was being written up today but then cancelled because the same neighbor told them about the suicide. I am pretty peeved at the neighbor, but also a little perplexed as to why it is a dealbreaker. It's not like there is any affect on the house - maybe people are worried about ghosts? It's very strange to me. I'm pretty sure the home I live in had a former owner die in it (natural causes) - doesn't bother me a bit.

So would that be a dealbreaker for you? Would it be something you would want to know about before you even thought about an offer? Remember that this state does not require it to be disclosed. There is no evidence. The only effect this bit of knowledge has is in the buyer's mind.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

We bought a home that had a hanging in it many years before.  It was not a deal breaker for us.  

I wonder if it is the gossipy neighbor that is turning off prospective buyers not because of the story that she is telling, but the fact that she seems very intent on making a private story known to all.  I would absolutely reconsider buying a home if the neighbors were obnoxiously overinvolved prior to purchase. 

• Like 43

It would not be for me but I am not superstitious at all. Plus a lot of houses have people that pass away in them. That is really crummy of that neighbor. Why would they do that? Are they trying to devalue their own neighborhood and gossip about the family?

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 5

I'm picturing an old, white-haired nosy neighbor sticking her head over the fence at prospective buyers....I find that odd since we have never had contact with the neighbors of houses we have looked at or put offers in. Maybe it is the neighbor that the people are avoiding!!!!

That being said, it might weird me out and I would probably avoid that house, especially if we liked others in the area. I am very introverted and tend to dwell on things and I could see myself getting fixated and freaked out. My dh probably would not have a problem with it. Just being honest.

I don't believe in ghosts but I wouldn't want to live in a house where there was a suicide either.  For me, I'd be wondering where they did it (or if I knew where think about it when I was in that spot).  I'd be wondering about what drove them to it etc.  So yeah, if I found out I'd probably cancel the offer too, it would  just weird me out too much. 

• Like 7

We bought a home that had a hanging in it many years before. It was not a deal breaker for us.

I wonder if it is the gossipy neighbor that is turning off prospective buyers not because of the story that she is telling, but the fact that she seems very intent on making a private story known to all. I would absolutely reconsider buying a home if the neighbors were obnoxiously overinvolved prior to purchase.

I think Plink is onto something.

I don't think it would bother me. I don't believe in ghosts. I think it would bother DS, though, if he were to hear about it. He's 12, and sad stories have a big effect on him. So I might think twice if I thought he'd hear the story.

What I don't understand is the neighbor. Does she lurk around, running up to potential buyers to tell them the gossip? Having lived next to a very nosy, very gossipy, very negative neighbor ... I might think twice about that, too. Can you ask your RE agent to find out exactly what is going on here?

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 5

I agree that maybe the neighbor combined with a *recent* tragedy could be driving people away.

Perhaps you'll need to rent it for a bit until it isn't as recent.

I am hypersensitive to things and would not consider a house with that history. I know logically that most houses have the potential for sad events but knowing about it does make a difference.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your situation. I do not consider myself superstitious or particularly sensitive, but I would hesitate buying a house with a suicide in its recent past. And I admit I would be very unhappy learning about it after closing.

But it would not be an automatic dealbreaker for me. But I know quite a few people that would never consider a house with a suicide in the past,

• Like 3

In all honesty, I don't think I would want to live in a house where a suicide occured.  It could very well be a deal breaker for me and I would be upset if I found out after I bought the house.  I know it shouldn't matter but it just seems like bad mojo.  The first owner of our house died in it and that doesn't bother me.  The nosy neighbor spilling the beans would also be a concern.  I would wonder what she was saying about me.

• Like 1

Others have mentioned that the idea of that sort of neighbor may be off-putting. It may also be concerns about her impact on future resale.

We were seriously looking at a home for the second time when a neighbor approached us to tell us all sorts of tales about the previous owner and who knows what he did in building this and so on. It wasn't what he said that bothered me, but rather that it might be hard to resell in the future with him talking to prospective buyers.

I agree with others that your agent needs to speak with the neighbor.

• Like 1

I wouldn't- not because of superstition, or ghosts, but because this story might have an effect on my sensitive children- I know a child who grew up in a home where a previous owner's child had died of cancer- actually he had her old bedroom. He constantly brooded and worried over it.

• Like 1

It's one of those things I'd rather not know.  If I found out after I bought the house, I probably wouldn't care.  If I found out before....if there was another house I loved just as much, similar price range, I'd probably go with that.  If not, it's just one of those factors I'd consider.

I would not live in a house where a suicide occurred because I believe that suicide is caused by a spirit that haunts someone. I do think that it would take a lot of intervention to get the spirit to leave the next person alone. I do think that usually the spirit clings to a friend or relative of the victim, not hang around the house, but you never know. Okay, I'm a nut, lol. That said, I'd have your realtor give the neighbor a big warning about their nosy behavior. That is uncool to say the least.

We found out after we moved in to a house that the two-past preceding owner had a hooligan 15 year old who set the neighbor's house on fire. I think the neighbors were a tad nervous about our teen son when we moved in and at first it affected the way they treated us. But my son is a nice kid and they soon realized that. Now we are all terrifically friendly with one another.

My POINT is that the neighbor's had to live through something pretty awful and that might make them not-too-welcoming at first so that might make me nervous. The busybody neighbor would put me off.

But I don't think I'd be too worried about the tragedy myself as far as buying the house. All kinds of things have happened in houses over time, and I guess I just expect that

We always have our priest come and bless our houses anyway, so it is a fresh start.

I would not care. Well I would be saddened to hear a young person took their life because who wouldn't but I wouldn't mind living in the house. I lack any disposition to believing in the supernatural.

I wonder why the neighbor wants to tank their own property value? The more your house can sell for, the more theirs is worth. That's weird.

• Like 4

Ask your realtor to "have words" with the intervening neighbor. That's their job.

She is trying to figure it out - it has happened when other agents have brought their clients. She thinks it might be someone across the street. There is a lady 2 doors down that is super nosy, and I could see her doing it ... our realtor is following up with the other agents to get a description.

At this point we have a lowball offer (-$30k) from an investor who will just turn around and rent it out, and that might be our best shot. We are countering but I think we will just have to accept a below-market sale because of the tragedy :(  *I* really don't want to rent it out any longer because it has a high-maintenance half-acre yard that no renter takes care of. We just spent a grand on cleaning and basic landscaping. I'm ready to be done with that house.

We're actually selling another house next door to that one, and hopefully that one goes fast once the current tenant is out at the end of the month.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

I wouldn't want to buy in a house with a recent violent death. I'd visualize grim things whenever I was in that salve. Irrational but true.

I'm so sorry for that family. And that the ripple effects of the tragedy will end up costing so much.

• Like 1

You might want to offer that information up front even though you are not required to do so. At least it would lessen the impact of the neighbor.

We considered a home where a murder/suicide had taken place many years ago. It was a new build dicounted because of the circumstances. Big news item in our area. We knew going in what the situation was and may have bought it if it's location hadn't added a half hour onto dh's commute. Btw it sold pretty quickly....we actually had an advanced viewing because of a friend in that neighbourhood.

Here's what would go through my mind after the neighbor told me what had happened....

First, I'd feel very sad for the obviously recent death, I'd worry that I'd think of it often, then I'd get pretty ticked at the realtor and you for not telling me up front, don't care what the state law is, then I'd also start to wonder what else I wasn't being told.  The neighbor, if really annoying, would be an issue but the lack of honesty would be the breaking point for me.  I'd walk away.  

I know this seems harsh, but it's another aspect to consider. 

• Like 7

Bad state, if they do not require things like that be disclosed by the Seller.  In the USA, or here in Colombia, an event like that lowers the value of the home.  If I was a Potential Buyer, and I made an offer, not knowing about this, and then, I learned about it,  I would believe the Seller had been Deceptive and that I had been the Victim of Fraud.   Depending on the progress of the offer/sale, I would either then Withdraw my offer, or go after the Seller for Fraud. Your question is whether I would buy a house that a suicide had occured in. Possibly, IF the price reflected that and IF it was FULLY DISCLOSED.     PLEASE CONSULT A REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY

I think the neighbor needs to butt the heck out.

But, it would not matter to me. I do know that this is a thing, though, and it extends to houses where domestic homicides occurred. There isn't any logic to it, IMO, but I think it just squicks people out.

A suicide occurred in one of our rentals, but I don't think an neighbors are "warning" new/potential tenants. .

I think the neighbor needs to butt the heck out.

But, it would not matter to me. I do know that this is a thing, though, and it extends to houses where domestic homicides occurred. There isn't any logic to it, IMO, but I think it just squicks people out.

A suicide occurred in one of our rentals, but I don't think an neighbors are "warning" new/potential tenants. .

Well I admit if there were several people murdered in the house that would seem different to me than this. Not that I have any logical explanation for that, but yeah.

• Like 1

We bought a house where a two year old drowned in the pool. I didn't know beforehand but it wouldn't have mattered to me. The neighbor kid told us and told us her ghost helped clean the house. I told him when you are dead you are dead and that was that.

I would not care. Well I would be saddened to hear a young person took their life because who wouldn't but I wouldn't mind living in the house. I lack any disposition to believing in the supernatural.

I wonder why the neighbor wants to tank their own property value? The more your house can sell for, the more theirs is worth. That's weird.

My guess? The neighbor is squicked out by the suicide and thinks potential buyers should know.

Because humans. Whether something is a big deal or not rarely depends on logic. If telling people helps to assuage their own discomfort and anxiety that wins out over more practical but less urgent concerns such as property value.

• Like 2

My logical mind says it would not matter, but I suspect that if I was ever in the situation, I'd find something about the house that made it unacceptable.   Suddenly the kitchen would be too small, or the overall plan wrong... I'm just guessing that's how it would work out.

Agreeing with others that the neighbor is a big problem.  I think I would make it a point to let potential buyers know about the suicide ahead of time to steal the neighbor's thunder.  I also think being confronted with a neighbor with a juicy story would turn me off a house.  Why would I want to live next to her? 

• Like 1

My neighbor is a busy body.  But it is a man.  He knows everything about everyone and shares.....

The property that goes behind his house and mine was a huge house on 8 acres.  They have parceled it off to be a house with 4 acres and then the 4 acre lot next to it was sectioned into two properties with the intent to build new homes on those.

He is retired so he is home all the time.  He would run up there when people were looking and tell them all the things wrong with the property, like the well doesn't pump enough water, they have had issues with flooding, etc.....he even went to city hall and the county offices multiple times.  

It worked for about 6 years, but now the properties are all sold, one house construction has started, the main house just got sold and new owners moved in, etc....

We were looking at selling our house and I was worried about what he would say to any potential buyers.

So, all that to say, it could just be the neighbor is the problem.

Edited by DawnM

It wouldn't bother me, but it would bother me that the seller didn't disclose it and I found out from a neighbor. I would wonder what else the seller wasn't telling me because they didn't have to and why the neighbor was butting in. It would just be drama that I would not want. But, if the seller disclosed up front, I'd not have a problem.

• Like 1

I would be bothered by a suicide, more bothered to find out after looking at the house. I overthink things, and it would leave me with a profound sense of sadness. If it were disclosed upfront, I probably would come to terms with it if the house were otherwise perfect. 

The neighbor would also bother me. When I'm looking at a house, I wouldn't mind meeting the neighbor, but if they start to gossip I would not think highly of them or the neighborhood. 

• Like 1

There is a term for houses that have had an event like a suicide. The term, possibly, is "Impaired Real Estate".

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/impairedasset.asp

My belief is that for a property  like that, when the Seller places it on the market, there should be FULL DISCLOSURE of what happened.  

Also, there should be an appropriate reduction in the Asking Price. If it were a "Normal" house, one could ask the Full Asking Price. For an Impaired House, probably a reduction in the Asking Price of approximately 20 or 30% would be appropriate.

CONSULT A REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY...

• Like 2

I will be honest, I would love to say the situation wouldn't bother me, but I think it would.

1. Recent suicide?  It would bother me because I would be thinking about why the person killed themselves, and the circumstances, and might start doing research, and feel sad when in my home, not because it is logical but because that is how I fear I might react emotionally.  It would "taint' the house for me.  I would have a hard time NOT thinking about the tragedy of a suicide and NOT being sad.  Those emotions would probably go away with time but if there were another house I could choose to buy, I would go with the other house.

2.  Nosy neighbor?  Yeah, that would bug me, too.  I would wonder after we moved in just how gossipy they would end up being about me and my family to others and how often they would show up on my doorstep to gossip about others.

3.  Resale.  I would be concerned that even if we ended up being fine with it, would the next potential owners down the road?

4.  Lack of disclosure.  While I would understand not being told from a logical perspective, I think I would still feel a bit betrayed that it wasn't disclosed and I had to find out through a nosy potential neighbor.

This whole thing really, really stinks for you, OP.   :grouphug:  Hopefully, you can get a sale that meets your needs, anyway.

• Like 2

To me this is more about home value. The reason you don't want to disclose it is because it affects whether others want to buy it. As a buyer, I also care about resale value. That is the main reason why I would want to know. It's not something an inspector can see or detect, so without the neighbor, people wouldn't know.

People may not have a legal right to know in your state, and I would not want to disclose as a seller, but it would not feel right to me to hide the ball.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 2

Might be a bit off the wall, but could your agent find a local priest to come bless the house - make sure the local busybodies sees him do it - and then if it comes up it can be noted that yes, a poor soul took their life, but the house is "safe" now.

Ok, I am getting too "out there". 

• Like 4

For those of you that think this needs to be disclosed - why? (And I'm not disagreeing, just trying to understand other perspectives.). Why do you, personally, feel it should be disclosed? Ghosts? Demons? One poster said as much, so I understand her perspective. Are you worried about media coverage or teens breaking in later to ghost hunt, or ... What exactly is the impairment? Where does it stop, if it's a feeling that negative events need to be disclosed? Should divorces be disclosed? DV? Natural deaths? Illness? Just curious here.

OP, honestly, I might disclose upfront, too, since this is a big issue for some. I'd never be happy knowing that the family that bought our house might have found out later and felt afraid or sad or that we were not upfront. So, yes, I'd probably disclose it. We don't buy/sell houses regularly though, and it's not a business for us. We sold a house last summer, and I still hope that the buyers are happy with their home.

• Like 8