Menu

If your dh wears dress shirts to work every day . . .

Jane Elliot

We buy Van Heusen (sp?) shirts at JC Penney, the wrinkle free kind. They have held up really well, and if you buy them on sale they aren't too bad. 

We have them washed & pressed at the cleaners, even though they are fine if you wash them, he just likes the starched look. 

• Like 4

answering without reading  replies.

I have  liked the wrinkle-free stafford dress shirt from penny's.  preferably the executive pinpoint oxford without the button collar.  though I'm not sure they're as good as they used to be. . . .

Costco has good shirts.

I detest van huesen.   when I'm not looking, he'll go buy them.  I keep reminding him they're lousy - but they're "cheap" and very thin.  yeah - ever heard the line you get what you pay for?

eta: we were posting at the same time.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

My husband has a variety from Jos. Bank, Brooks Brothers and Eddie Bauer, and they last for years. Lots and lots of years. We take them to the dry cleaner for laundering, though, so maybe that is the difference? No way I can make them crisp enough at home, even if I were inclined to try.

• Like 2

LL Bean for his cooler weather shirts, Van Heusen in the summer. He wears long sleeves all  year at work so he likes the thinner Van Heusen in the summer (really, May-Sept). Both brands have held up well for us.

• Like 1

DH likes the Lands End no wrinkle shirts. We have found that the pricier shirts from LE last longer, but the cheaper ones aren't terrible. He is responsible for ironing his own shirts so he likes the no iron ones. I don't iron. I don't even know where he keeps the iron. I didn't even know we owned an iron until he pulled it out one day, lol.

But def stay away from places like Target etc if possible.  We did have to buy from them when he started his job and he needed a professional wardrobe quickly. But those just fell apart.

And I agree that a white tshirt underneath does help them last longer and look better. DH prefers the v-neck tshirts b/c he doesn't have to wear a tie at work every day and he detests the look of a white tshirt peeping out at the neck.

If we lived near a place with a Brooks Brothers outlet he would absolutely also go there. I should have him check them out online.

• Like 2

Our Costco quit selling dress shirts. I did like the Kirkland brand for awhile, but the more recent purchases had been wearing out more quickly anyway. Plus, did they get more baggy or something? He was swimming in the last few I bought.  

I've ordered a shirt from LL Bean and am looking at the other recommendations now. 

Has anyone had any luck with Lands End?

You ladies are terrific. Thanks for the help!

DH likes the Lands End no wrinkle shirts. We have found that the pricier shirts from LE last longer, but the cheaper ones aren't terrible. He is responsible for ironing his own shirts so he likes the no iron ones. I don't iron. I don't even know where he keeps the iron. I didn't even know we owned an iron until he pulled it out one day, lol.

But def stay away from places like Target etc if possible.  We did have to buy from them when he started his job and he needed a professional wardrobe quickly. But those just fell apart.

And I agree that a white tshirt underneath does help them last longer and look better. DH prefers the v-neck tshirts b/c he doesn't have to wear a tie at work every day and he detests the look of a white tshirt peeping out at the neck.

If we lived near a place with a Brooks Brothers outlet he would absolutely also go there. I should have him check them out online.

Thanks. I didn't see your post before I asked about Lands End. Thanks for your response.

Dh does wear a white t-shirt and a tie. It's the cuffs and collars that are wearing out. And, yeah, we figured out to stay away from shirts from Target etc. a long time ago.

DH wears JC Penneys - he needs a Tall dress shirt, so that limits choices a bit.   He only has one dress shirt that needs ironing and that is saved for formal wear.  The Penney's shirts come out of the dryer and I hang them up and poof- no wrinkles.

He liked the Land's End ones better, but the last "Tall" ones were not quite long enough in the sleeves, in spite of saying they were a 37" sleeve.  Penney's 37" sleeves are almost an inch longer than the 37's from Land's End.

Dh wears out cuffs and collars as well.  No getting around that.

• Like 1

Where do you buy them? I can't believe how quickly dh's shirts wear out. I'm looking for easy care/wrinkle free or wrinkle resistant shirts that actually hold up over time. Is there a certain brand that has worked better for you than others?

Jcrew and banana republic but we have them washed and pressed at dry cleaners because I don't iron. White tshirt underneath Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

Lands' End No-Iron dress shirts.  They're good quality.  You'll find that cottons treated to resist wrinkles will wear out faster than regular wrinkly cotton.  The finishing stiffens the fabric, and it will wear at the seams and creases.  It's a price I'm happy to pay to not have to iron all those shirts!  (funny because I used to love ironing, but now that I'm not doing it, I don't miss it at all!)

My only caveat about Lands' End.  I wish they had more earthy colors.  They're great if you really like blue.  They have a few other sherbet colors, but no browns or greys or jewel tones.

• Like 1

Jos. A Banks or Brooks Bros. Pricier than the others mentioned, but worth it for us. They last and have non-wrinkle options.

DH had several BB's shirts split along the arm crease.

His shirts last for years, IF I can keep the neck stains out of them.  He's always worn white, V-neck t-shirts under his dress shirts.  But that doesn't protect the necks.

White vinegar in a spray bottle is supposed to help for this. 

My husband doesn't have to wear dress shirts anymore, but he wears out the points on the collar of all things, particularly on dark shirts. Sometimes the cuffs as well.

• Like 1

Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, and designer brands on super discount from Rue La La.  His dress shirts rarely wear out but he always wears them with an undershirt and has them dry-cleaned.  

Come to think of it, he did rip one shirt along the arm seam a few years ago at the annual mass flu vaccination event.  Apparently he was unprepared for how fast the line would move (they process something like 15,000 people in a day) and in the struggle to remove his shirt quickly he tore it.   But normally, they hold up very well.

I buy DH's shirts at Macy's. He wears either Van Heusen  or Club Room, depending on what's on sale at the time. I can usually use a coupon with a sale and get over 50-75% off the tag price. They both look pretty good out of the wash, but we occasionally send them to the cleaners because he prefers them with a bit of starch and no one here wants to iron them!

Do you actually get the dress shirts dry cleaned?

Or do you take them to the cleaners and they launder and press? Just wondering because if they launder and press how would that help them last longer than washing at home? I sometimes have my husband's pressed but have never had them actually dry cleaned.

Or do you take them to the cleaners and they launder and press? Just wondering because if they launder and press how would that help them last longer than washing at home? I sometimes have my husband's pressed but have never had them actually dry cleaned.

My husband has his dry cleaned. 

Goodwill. But my husband works in a restaurant and I gave up trying to find shirts that would last in that environment years ago. Now I spend $5 per shirt and they usually last the same 6 months they did new and full price. 

• Like 1

Laundered.  I think their pressing machine probably is better than ironing.  But what do I know?  I haven't ironed a dress shirt in, well--ever.

Dh buys them on sale at Jos. Banks. He'll only buy the wrinkle free ones because they have to be packable in a carry on. We wash them at home and they come out fine without ironing. I don't think he's ever worn one out. They usually get a stain first.