Menu

Putting Weight On An Old Guy

Reefgazer

I think carbohydrates + healthy fats would be a good bet. Potatoes, breads, oats, pasta. 

Nut butters. 

Avocado. 

Instead of dairy, try using full fat coconut milk to thicken soups or sauces. 

Add snacks. Cookies or a muffin if he has a sweet tooth? 

Does he have salt restrictions? Sometimes everything tastes bland so adding seasonings, spices, a squeeze of lemon juice on the regular meals can stimulate appetite. 

• Like 3

When he was younger, he barely ate sweets, but he's all about that now. But I am looking for healthier food, rather than carby stuff. My dad calls carby food "fart food" because he says one fart and you're hungry again, lol! Plus, he has gotten weak and thin lately, so I need to get him to pavk on some weight (muscle and fat). I like the coconut milk idea, though!

I think carbohydrates + healthy fats would be a good bet. Potatoes, breads, oats, pasta.

Nut butters.

Avocado.

Instead of dairy, try using full fat coconut milk to thicken soups or sauces.

Add snacks. Cookies or a muffin if he has a sweet tooth?

Does he have salt restrictions? Sometimes everything tastes bland so adding seasonings, spices, a squeeze of lemon juice on the regular meals can stimulate appetite.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

Yeah, this is what I am seeing. He was always slender, but I see in old age that is a real disadvantage. I plan to get him a set of free weights and show him how to use them, along with a meal plan to put on weight and muscle mass.

Old people in their 90s loose their body fat and become basically skin and bone. It is just the way it is. They also tend to eat less as they really don't burn much energy

( in previous life I was an aged care worker)

Yeah, this is what I am seeing. He was always slender, but I see in old age that is a real disadvantage. I plan to get him a set of free weights and show him how to use them, along with a meal plan to put on weight and muscle mass.

At 91, I would strongly recommend having a solid understanding of elder weight training and general well-being before starting anything.  Maybe you do, I don't know.  But there are a lot of added considerations.  I've gone through basic CPT courses, and I would not take on the responsibility of advising a 90-something with just that background.  Basic advice for the average middle aged mom, sure.  But the anatomy and health of an elderly man is a lot more complicated, even with seemingly innocent 5lb dumbbells.

• Like 6

I know I'm not qualified, but he flat out refuses to see a doctor and the level of stubborn and jackassery I am dealing with is unbelievable, so I have to work with what I've got. I plan to have him eat more protein and fat, ask him to walk a little more each day, do some leg lifts with 1 pound ankle weights while sitting in a chair, and maybe 3 pound Dumbbells for arms. He's otherwise healthy (he has seen a doc within the last year, but declared a few months ago he wouldn't be going back) and has excellent blood chemistry. Hopefully, after I get him stronger and more robust, and I move him to a house on one floor do he doesn't fall so much, I can convince him to revisit the doctor. But as of right now, that's not happening.

At 91, I would strongly recommend having a solid understanding of elder weight training and general well-being before starting anything. Maybe you do, I don't know. But there are a lot of added considerations. I've gone through basic CPT courses, and I would not take on the responsibility of advising a 90-something with just that background. Basic advice for the average middle aged mom, sure. But the anatomy and health of an elderly man is a lot more complicated, even with seemingly innocent 5lb dumbbells.

Never heard of this. Is it like Ensure? My mom has been buying him Ensure, which he will drink.

If he'll drink ensure, I would put it in the blender and turn it into a smoothie by adding whatever fruit he likes, peanut butter, and coconut oil (which is flavorless but will add a ton of undetectable calories in a smoothie).  Does he like coffee?  If he does, make him "fatty coffee", put hot coffee in the blender and add 1 tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil and blend.  I know this sounds revolting, but I swear to you it's actually really, really good.

• Like 1

I know I'm not qualified, but he flat out refuses to see a doctor and the level of stubborn and jackassery I am dealing with is unbelievable, so I have to work with what I've got. I plan to have him eat more protein and fat, ask him to walk a little more each day, do some leg lifts with 1 pound ankle weights while sitting in a chair, and maybe 3 pound Dumbbells for arms. He's otherwise healthy (he has seen a doc within the last year, but declared a few months ago he wouldn't be going back) and has excellent blood chemistry. Hopefully, after I get him stronger and more robust, and I move him to a house on one floor do he doesn't fall so much, I can convince him to revisit the doctor. But as of right now, that's not happening.

I get it.  Still, if there's a CPT in your area who specializes in older populations, they'd probably be more than willing to schedule a session with you to talk about precautions and progression.  Places that have Silver Sneakers programs are good places to look.

Google can obviously do the same thing if you're careful about your sources.  ;)

• Like 4

Thanks for that idea; I hadn't thought of that, but will call. I've been in touch with Office For The Aging, but for legal advice, not exercise advice. But I do recall a link on their site about nutrition and exercise and will call them today.

I get it. Still, if there's a CPT in your area who specializes in older populations, they'd probably be more than willing to schedule a session with you to talk about precautions and progression. Places that have Silver Sneakers programs are good places to look.

Google can obviously do the same thing if you're careful about your sources. ;)

• Like 1

. No dietary restrictions, except he is slightly lactose intolerant, so things like rich ice cream can't be a steady thing.

There are lactose-free dairy products like cream cheese, sour cream, and whole milk yogurt.   The brand I buy at Whole Foods is Green Valley Organics.  http://greenvalleylactosefree.com/

My daughter has been very underweight, and these full fat dairy products have helped her gain weight.   I mix honey into the cream cheese and use it as an icing, a topping or dip for fresh fruit, etc.  She loves it.   And the yogurts are very mild tasting, not sour, if that matters.    

• Like 2

fwiw, I strongly feel carbohydrates are healthier than dairy 

There are only 3 macro nutrients: carb, protein, fat.   

Carbohydrates are easy for the body to metabolize and do not place large stresses on the kidneys (like excess protein does) or gallbladder and liver (like excess fat does). 

They are also way more calorie dense than proteins. I'd reach for whole grains and well cooked legumes such as lentils, plus added nuts & seeds, plus vegetables (cooked or made in a smoothie if raw is too much energy to chew or causes indigestion) for nutrients and fiber. 

What's changed regarding not seeing the doctor again? Is it possible the physician told him something he didn't want to hear?  This is really not ok. I draw several lines in the sand in the care for our elderly relatives and refusing to see medical practitioners is one of them. I would insist... btdt....  

Sad but important to consider also are that sudden small paranoias or irrational behavior can by a symptom of something like dementia. But it can also be something as simple as a UTI that needs a course of antibiotics. I pretty much bully all our elders to do all their medical stuff. 

• Like 1

I didn't get to read the previous replies, but my father-in-law lives with us. When he was having trouble keeping weight on, his doctor prescribed oral Megace. It's helped him to gain the weight he needed and keeps up his appetite so he's actually hungry at meal time. 

• Like 2

I get it.  Still, if there's a CPT in your area who specializes in older populations, they'd probably be more than willing to schedule a session with you to talk about precautions and progression.  Places that have Silver Sneakers programs are good places to look.

Google can obviously do the same thing if you're careful about your sources.  ;)

Would resistance bands work for weights for older folks? I know they are usually okay for kids too young to do weights.

If he'll eat nuts or nut butters, that might help. I think my grandfather subsisted on nuts for at least a decade. He had always eaten them, but eventually, that was his main source of nutrition.

• Like 1

That's a good point about carbohydrates being easier to metabolize than proteins; I had not thought of that. He typically doesn't eat a lot of nuts or seeds, but I can add that in, I think.

My dad is quite deaf, so my mom goes to all appointments with him to "translate", so to speak. He hadn't gotten any bad news, but historically he does not go to the doctor. The fact that he went to the doctor for the past several years was something he did for my mother; him refusing to go to the doctors is actually pretty much par for the course for him. He's not an unpleasant person, but is stubborn and very eccentric...always has been. Prior to the last few years that he allowed my mother to cajole him to the doctors office, it had 1972 (!) since he visited the doctor. So now he's back to his usual anti-doctor antics. I will not force him to get medical care. He's 91 and of sound mind, and entitled to make his decisions on that matter. I can suggest, but I won't push too much on that, mainly because I share his opinion that a lot of doctoring is over testing and over prescribing that does more harm than good.

fwiw, I strongly feel carbohydrates are healthier than dairy

There are only 3 macro nutrients: carb, protein, fat.

Carbohydrates are easy for the body to metabolize and do not place large stresses on the kidneys (like excess protein does) or gallbladder and liver (like excess fat does).

They are also way more calorie dense than proteins. I'd reach for whole grains and well cooked legumes such as lentils, plus added nuts & seeds, plus vegetables (cooked or made in a smoothie if raw is too much energy to chew or causes indigestion) for nutrients and fiber.

What's changed regarding not seeing the doctor again? Is it possible the physician told him something he didn't want to hear? This is really not ok. I draw several lines in the sand in the care for our elderly relatives and refusing to see medical practitioners is one of them. I would insist... btdt....

Sad but important to consider also are that sudden small paranoias or irrational behavior can by a symptom of something like dementia. But it can also be something as simple as a UTI that needs a course of antibiotics. I pretty much bully all our elders to do all their medical stuff.

Edited by reefgazer

That's a thought. The exercises Lauracorbin linked are easily doable for both of my parents, as well.

Would resistance bands work for weights for older folks? I know they are usually okay for kids too young to do weights.

If he'll eat nuts or nut butters, that might help. I think my grandfather subsisted on nuts for at least a decade. He had always eaten them, but eventually, that was his main source of nutrition.

If he'll drink ensure, I would put it in the blender and turn it into a smoothie by adding whatever fruit he likes, peanut butter, and coconut oil (which is flavorless but will add a ton of undetectable calories in a smoothie).  Does he like coffee?  If he does, make him "fatty coffee", put hot coffee in the blender and add 1 tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil and blend.  I know this sounds revolting, but I swear to you it's actually really, really good.

Or you could just use heavy cream in his coffee. No blender needed :)

I agree that carbs are way more digestible, and more likely to add on some weight. Especially with a little fat added, like a muffin with butter spread on it, etc. They can be healthier muffins, or a bagle, doesn't have to be tons of sugar. 

• Like 1

Protein and fat together will not help him to gain weight. He needs carbs+fat to gain.

If he needs to eat more protein then do add that but he needs more carbs for weight gain.

*** I should have read the whole thread before I replied. ðŸ˜

Edited by kitten18
  • Like 2

He's never been a big eater and snacks aren't his thing, but I am trying to push the Ensure as a between meal snack.

Does he have snacks through the day? Eg. Midmorning, mid afternoon, before bed? I'd been reading something that it helped with appetite. That would eat more.

Well, then, I guess I need to add donuts to his breakfast routine! I was thinking quality protein and fats, but mmmm.....donuts, lol!

Protein and fat together will not help him to gain weight. He needs carbs+fat to gain.

If he needs to eat more protein then do add that but he needs more carbs for weight gain.

*** I should have read the whole thread before I replied. ðŸ˜

• Like 1

Really, any changes in lifestyle can be very difficult for someone in their 90's. Oftentimes their bodies are running a pretty good balance (it's worked so far) and so trying to change things can cause problems.  For example, maybe his kidneys can't handle extra protein. And maybe his colon can't handle extra fat. Small changes in routine can have unexpected consequences in people his age.

There really is no way to force a person to gain weight. I would encourage him to eat more often, as the more often you eat, the more often you get hungry. I would ask his doc if megace might be appropriate. And if there's any kind of treat that he likes, make sure you bring it to him every time you see him. But my guess is that if he eats an extra snack, he'll just be less hungry at the next meal and eat less then. 

Working with light weights is good. I know my grandmother's assisted living facility does that. 

And I really relate to this. My grandmother got down to about 87 pounds. She's back up to mid 90 pounds, but it's made me learn that you really can't force someone to gain. Just like you can't force someone to lose. Bodies are very determined to stay at set points.

• Like 2

When he was younger, he barely ate sweets, but he's all about that now. But I am looking for healthier food, rather than carby stuff. My dad calls carby food "fart food" because he says one fart and you're hungry again, lol! Plus, he has gotten weak and thin lately, so I need to get him to pavk on some weight (muscle and fat). I like the coconut milk idea, though!

I think he needs an evaluation.  Becoming weak and thin lately is concerning.  We do have some medications to help with appetite and weight gain.  Any change from baseline is cause for concern - even at 91.

• Like 2