Menu

Poetry Recommendations for 1st/3rd Grade

Vintage81

I'm looking for recommendations for either a simple poetry curriculum or just poetry books to read through with my 1st and 3rd grade daughters. 

I'm not sure if this exists, but I'd really like something that has suggested poems along with comprehension questions. If that doesn't exist, then any book recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

We use and love several things for poetry:

1)  IEW's Linguist Development Through Poetry Memorization:   I have the kids memorize poems from this source.   I really, really like their selections.  My kids also love these poems.   

2)  Our language arts program (English Lessons Through Litterature) has a poem a day read for enjoyment.   That program also has various poetry topics scheduled.   Like rhyming scheme, stanza, rhythm, types of verse, and it even has poetry narration.  Children also learn how to copy a poem.  So that sort of teaches them about poetry.    However, I don't really like her poetry choices.   Many of them are over my 3rd graders head.   So I don't really think they do as good of a job as fostering a LOVE of poetry as Andrew Pudewa's picks do in IEW's program.

3)  Poet study:   We also study a poet per term.   (See this blog post from SCM for a better explanation of how and why we do this.)   The kids memorize a lot of different poems in IEWs program.   Whenever I hear them express delight in a specific poet, I will usually pick that poet to study for a term.  It isn't an exact science.  Sometimes I just pick a poet I think they will like. 

We read a biography of the poet and then read poems by the poet every day for a term or until we finish the book.   This way they can become very familiar with a poet's style.  I keep the book on top of my language arts book so I don't forget to do this each day.    I also have them practice reading poetry at this time---because it takes practice to read poetry fluently.    I really like the "Poetry for Young People" series for specific poet studies.  They are nicely illustrated and have an included biography right in the book.   The SCM poetry books are a close second.  They have a biography too, but they don't have illustrations.     I've also just used a book of poems.  (For example, we read Sheil Silverstein for a term.   I've noticed that kids this age like funny poems.  )  

• Like 2

1)  IEW's Linguist Development Through Poetry Memorization:   I have the kids memorize poems from this source.   I really, really like their selections.  My kids also love these poems.   

2)  Our language arts program (English Lessons Through Litterature) has a poem a day read for enjoyment.   That program also has various poetry topics scheduled.   Like rhyming scheme, stanza, rhythm, types of verse, and it even has poetry narration.  Children also learn how to copy a poem.  So that sort of teaches them about poetry.    However, I don't really like her poetry choices.   Many of them are over my 3rd graders head.   So I don't really think they do as good of a job as fostering a LOVE of poetry as Andrew Pudewa's picks do in IEW's program.

3)  Poet study:   We also study a poet per term.   (See this blog post from SCM for a better explanation of how and why we do this.)   The kids memorize a lot of different poems in IEWs program.   Whenever I hear them express delight in a specific poet, I will usually pick that poet to study for a term.  It isn't an exact science.  Sometimes I just pick a poet I think they will like. 

We read a biography of the poet and then read poems by the poet every day for a term or until we finish the book.   This way they can become very familiar with a poet's style.  I keep the book on top of my language arts book so I don't forget to do this each day.    I also have them practice reading poetry at this time---because it takes practice to read poetry fluently.    I really like the "Poetry for Young People" series for specific poet studies.  They are nicely illustrated and have an included biography right in the book.   The SCM poetry books are a close second.  They have a biography too, but they don't have illustrations.     I've also just used a book of poems.  (For example, we read Sheil Silverstein for a term.   I've noticed that kids this age like funny poems.  )

Thank you for all of this great information!

I really like the idea of studying a poet and I've seen the Poetry for Young People books, so I'll have to explore them further.

Question for you regarding the IEW program....do you use the Teacher Manual, Student Book, and CDs, or is the Teacher Manual enough?

Sleeping Bear Press's R is for Rhyme -- we use this in about third grade to discuss different types of poetry, and we write our own for several of the types.

The Poetry for Young People is good too, although it has seemed to vary a little; some had more discussion and explanation than others.

• Like 1

Julie Bogart's poetryteatime.com is a great resource.  She even has an instagram account @poetryteatime

Rod and Staff has a really nice paperback book that has poems compiled by grade.  Laura Berquist has one called The Harp and Laurel Wreath. Memoria Press has a poetry book that I think is for third grade.

Ambleside Online has a poet for each term for each grade.  They also have a nice selection of poems.  One for each day of the year for Year 1.  These do not follow the poet study in the specific terms.

There are a few public domain books:  Three Years with the Poets: A Text-book of Poetry to be Memorized by Children During the First Years in School, Comp. by Bertha Hazard and Librivox for Poems Every Child Should Know.

• Like 1

I compiled a list of poems from Harp and Laurel Wreath for us to memorize.  We also read a poem per day from one poet using AO resources.  Once a week we have Poetry Tea Time - just tea, treats, and us reading poems out loud to each other.  That's been a great start.  I plan on working in the poetry course from Memoria Press next year, but only the third grade selections (in goes up to sixth).  I wouldn't start with this, though.  I think it works out much better to build a love of poetry simply for its own sake before peppering kids with comprehension type questions, etc.  Good luck!

• Like 2

We read Favorite Poems Old and New ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0385076967/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463184236&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=favorite+poems+old+and+new&dpPl=1&dpID=51vhNdt88QL&ref=plSrch)every morning in morning time. Always one or two, then sometimes we move on and sometimes we discuss the poem - what we noticed, enjoyed, etc.

Each year I choose a selection of poems to memorize. It averages out to one per month and they know them VERY well by then. Favorites have come from A.A. Milne, Christina Rossetti, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Alfred Lord Tennyson. We also do Bible memory, which can be very poetic. I'm always amazed by how easily kids pick up poems and how much they enjoy the rhythmic language. Sometimes they will have poems for copywork or illustrate them in their journals.

We also do occasional poetry teas a la BraveWriter.

ETA: my 1st and 2nd graders enjoyed 'The Mouse of Amherst' this year, as well as Michael Bedard's 'Emily'.

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 2

1) IEW's Linguist Development Through Poetry Memorization: I have the kids memorize poems from this source. I really, really like their selections. My kids also love these poems.

Can I just get the teachers guide for the IEW poetry curriculum? Or just the TG and student book? I wouldn't need the CDs.

Thank you for all of this great information!

I really like the idea of studying a poet and I've seen the Poetry for Young People books, so I'll have to explore them further.

Question for you regarding the IEW program....do you use the Teacher Manual, Student Book, and CDs, or is the Teacher Manual enough?

I have the older poetry program which doesn't have a separate teacher's manual or student manual.   (I believe it has been updated?)   At a bare minimum, you need a copy of the actual poems.   The CD is nice because Mr. Pudewa does a really great job of reading the poetry with good expression.   However, you could potentially model this for your children yourself.   

I do not use ANY of the IEW poetry scheduling information.  (I am betting that is what is in the teacher's manual.)   The first year we used the IEW poetry program, we just learned one poem at a time until it was mastered and then we moved on to the next one.  (We spent as long as it was needed on a single poem.  I didn't schedule anything.)   Periodically we would review the older poems using the Simply Charlotte Mason memory box system.

HOWEVER---now that we have been homeschooling for a few years, our amount of memory work has grown astronomically!  (not just poetry, but all of the other things we memorize together with the poetry.)    It would be way, way too unwieldy to store and review it all in a single box.   (It would take upwards of 45-60 minutes a day to review it all)  

SO----We have since moved all of our memory work (including poetry) over into a tool called ANKI.   ANKI is a free electronic tool for memorization.  It is sort of like electronic flashcards, except it has a very sophisticated review platform.   It keeps track of how often we need to review stuff based on how difficult it is to recall and what we know about storing information in the short and long term memory.  We now spend just 15 minutes a day reviewing poetry, scripture, history stuff, science, shakespeare, etc. etc. etc.  

ANKI brings up a flashcared that will say, "Recite the poem The Vulture" for example.   Then, I have the poem on the back of the electronic card...and I know it is time to practice that poem.   

(That is my long winded way of saying that I do not use the teacher's manual or any of the IEW scheduling/review suggestions.)  

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 1

I think it works out much better to build a love of poetry simply for its own sake before peppering kids with comprehension type questions, etc.  Good luck!

YES!   This should be your very first goal.   Poetry is to language like candy is to food.  It should feel like a treat.

Find a way to make poetry feel fun.   Start our with fun poems.  Empahsize the fun rhythms and sounds.     Even poems that are sung to music like a song at first.  (Many nursury rhymes can be put to music for example.)  Many kids also like funny poems if you can find them.   They don't all have to be serious to have value.   (And that is why I like the IEW selections.   Mr. Pudewa GETS how kids think!  Especially little boys.)  

Gradually read more and more.   Once they LOVE listening and reading poetry, you can maybe start asking comprehension questions---but not before.   And you still have to be careful you don't kill their love for poetry by doing it too often.  Sort of like how you wouldn't ask a new reader to write a book report on EVERY book they read.    You first have to get them reading well and enjoying books---then you have to be careful not to squash that love with too many reports and questions.   :)

Once they have built up a love for poetry, occasionally and informally talk about the poems.   Also, eventually start to introduce longer poetry read for fun.   This will help prepare them for some of the 'epic' poetry they might read in high school.   When they are very little, start with a funny story told in poem form.   (Like Sheil Silverstien's Paul Bunyan poem.   Many people will dismiss that poem as twaddle---and that is fine---but when I read this in my "deep Paul Bunyan" voice to the kids, they all start cracking up laughing.  And my little boy loves the spooky side of it.  It is a fun way to introduce young kids to stories told in verse.  )   Eventually, you can even start reading them books written in verse too to prepare them for epic poetry.  

On a side note:  My kids were just saying how thankful they were it was Saturday and they didn't have to do school this morning.    And I overheard my daughter say, "Well, schools not so bad.   At least we get to listen to poems when we have school."   And I silently said, "YESSS!"     

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 5

I just ordered Memoria Press' Poetry for the Grammar Stage, and it sounds like what you are looking for.  It's for grades 3-7 and intended to be used over those years.  There is a poem, place to copy & draw a picture, and some questions to go with the poem.  

Another great resource is the Random House Book of Poetry for Children.  It has wonderful selections for elementary ages!  

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions!

I'm a mathy-type person, so poetry is not really in my wheelhouse (which was why I was thinking comprehension questions might help both me and my girls understand the poems). Even though poetry is not my thing, I still want my girls to acquire an appreciation for it.

All of your suggestions have given me some good ideas on how to start incorporating more poetry into our school time. :)

I just ordered Memoria Press' Poetry for the Grammar Stage, and it sounds like what you are looking for.  It's for grades 3-7 and intended to be used over those years.  There is a poem, place to copy & draw a picture, and some questions to go with the poem.  

Another great resource is the Random House Book of Poetry for Children.  It has wonderful selections for elementary ages!  

I was actually coming to recommend both of those exact items!  The Random House book has a great variety (although I have to be careful to read it last, because if I don't, I read the Bible story in iambic pentameter, and it drives my children crazy).

And I looked at the Memoria Press briefly at the CHAP convention this weekend and liked the looks of it too.

Other suggestions that my little people have liked:

-A Child's Garden of Verses

-Mother Goose books

-Shel Silverstein

-Flower Fairy books (and these have beautiful illustrations)

The Writing With Ease books have some poetry in them too, although I don't remember exactly where and which ones, since it's been a couple of years since we used WWE; it got more into beginning poetry analysis, rather than just enjoying it, though, so it may not be what you want.

• Like 3

I was actually coming to recommend both of those exact items!  The Random House book has a great variety (although I have to be careful to read it last, because if I don't, I read the Bible story in iambic pentameter, and it drives my children crazy).

And I looked at the Memoria Press briefly at the CHAP convention this weekend and liked the looks of it too.

Other suggestions that my little people have liked:

-A Child's Garden of Verses

-Mother Goose books

-Shel Silverstein

-Flower Fairy books (and these have beautiful illustrations)

The Writing With Ease books have some poetry in them too, although I don't remember exactly where and which ones, since it's been a couple of years since we used WWE; it got more into beginning poetry analysis, rather than just enjoying it, though, so it may not be what you want.

Shoot I didn't know Memoria Press was at the CHAP convention!! So bummed I missed paging through their poetry book... it looks great

• Like 1

Shoot I didn't know Memoria Press was at the CHAP convention!! So bummed I missed paging through their poetry book... it looks great

MP was actually not there, so you didn't miss their booth. Rainbow Resource had several of their books, though, and so did Veritas Press.

• Like 1