Menu

Best type of shoes for warehouse work(long shifts)

teachermom2834

My 18 yo ds just got a job in a warehouse (picking/packing/loading orders). He will work 10-12 hour days 4-5 days per week. So, lots of hours on his feet.

They said to invest in good shoes but gave no suggestions. There are no specific requirements other than flat and closed toe. I want to start him out in good shoes. He is going to make a lot of college money at this job and it is worth the investment.

Any suggestions?? Some sort of hiking shoe or boot maybe?

• Like 2

He'll probably want to invest in a good pair of work boots. Most of those sorts of places around here require work boots and will often subsidize them for the employees- I'm surprised that your ds's company doesn't. You're looking at something like $200 a pair, but it's worth it for someone who's going to be standing on concrete that many hours per week. My dh has a pair of Red Wing boots he really likes. I've also seen Timberland and CAT boots around here. Your ds's best bet is to find a place that sells multiple brands and try on different kinds until he finds a pair he likes.

• Like 1

Light work boots that has a steel cap. If he drop a heavy box on his foot, the steel cap does a good job absorbing impact and lessen the chance of broken toe nails. Timberland and CAT work boots can be heavy to wear all day. Your son would have to try for comfort.

Hiking boots might be too hot inside a warehouse all day. If he is walking in and out of warehouses then hiking boots are comfortable.

• Like 1

my DH finally broke down and got himself a pair of Keen boots and he is soooo happy.  He walks on cement floors all day long and it just wears out shoes and once the shoes wears a little, (but still look fine)  his knees get sore.  His keens are still going strong after a year and his knees are still happy!  Keen has lots of styles, I suggest your son go to a dealer (like REI) and tell them what he will be using them for and get suggestions.  (DH has steel toe, but not heavy-- so he is not clomping around, but when he dropped metal on his foot, it was sore-not broken)

• Like 2

You do not have to spend $200.00 to get a decent pair of work boots. My DH has worn them for 40 years and gets them various places. Meijer carries a decent selection as does Sears. Have him try on lots of them arch support is huge with my husband and he has to wear steel toes, so that narrows the selection. His current preference is for a boot that kind of resembles a running shoe. How they fit around the ankles is another thing to check. One of my sons got Dr schools inserts in a pair of work boots that weren't perfect, but he only needed them for the summer.

IF heavy things might drop on his feet, he should have boots with Steel toes in them.

If he were just on his feet all day, when we were in the CROC Outlet in Orlando, I looked at 2 pairs of nearly identical shoes.  One had a sticker price $15 above the lower cost shoes.  The Manager explained to me that the more expensive shoes were designed for people who were on their feet all day. Cashiers, cooks, waiters, etc.  He suggested that I save my money and buy the less expensive shoes and I did that.

BOTTOM LINE: If your son is working around heavy items, he needs to buy a good pair of boots with Steel Toes in them.  

It really depends on what kind of warehouse work it is.  Will he just be busy on his feet all day, or will he also be doing heavy lifting?  You really on need work boots if you are lifting heavy items or if the floor is uneven.  But if he's working on a smooth, flat floor and none of the stuff he's doing is heavy lifting, he'd be better off with a good pair of high absorption sneakers.  They will be lighter and bend more readily and will absorb a lot more impact than a boot.  Hokas and Altras are good sneaker brands to look at.  Red Wing (which my son got a pair of at Famous Footwear for about $80) are good work boots.

• Like 1