Menu

Edx College Algebra???

My son is playing a bit of catch up in math this summer, because he couldn't do a math his freshman year (head injury), he's going into 11th.  He's doing geometry over the summer. For 11th he will do TT Pre-Calc.  I use TT because of the head injury, he needs everything simply laid out.  They do not have Calculus. I was searching for an appropriate Calculus for him.  But, I stumbled upon Edx's College Algebra through ASU.  If the student gets a C, then you can pay to get the college credit.  It's expensive, but, it's self paced, which is worth it for him.  He needs self paced, so I'm willing to pay extra money for that.  He does well with math, he just needs to do it in his own time frame due to lingering brain issues.

Is it okay for a child to go from Pre-Calc to College Algebra.  Does it look bad if he doesn't do Calculus?  The ASU class uses Aleks.  What do you all think of Aleks?

Is this a good idea, or no?

Thanks, Abby

• Like 1

College Algebra typically covers similar topics to Pre-Calc without the Trig - The ASU course is quite standard.

My DS is taking it now (slow rolling until his B&M school ends)

I posted about this a few weeks back:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/601779-de-math-opportunity-edx-starts-soon-418/

According to ASU they will offer a College Precalc MOOC in the future.

Depending on future college major it may not be worth paying for the credits.

also

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/04/23/arizona-state-edx-team-offer-freshman-year-online-through-moocs

"

After completing the courses, students can receive a transcript from ASU showing that they have earned enough credits at the university to transfer to a different program or institution as sophomores. Since the university stresses the MOOCs are just a new form of delivering courses it already offers, the transcripts won’t specify which type of course -- in-person, online or massive online -- students enrolled in to earn the credit.

"

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

MarkT, Thank you so much!  This is what I was looking for.  So basically, if he was going to do this, it would be in lieu of Pre-Calc rather than calc.  My son is more of an artist/philosopher/historian type, NOT a math person, but does well.  But, if he could knock out a math class in high school, he would be happy about that.  The fact that it's self paced is wonderful for him. 

Does it work well for your child?

• Like 1

MarkT, Thank you so much!  This is what I was looking for.  So basically, if he was going to do this, it would be in lieu of Pre-Calc rather than calc.  My son is more of an artist/philosopher/historian type, NOT a math person, but does well.  But, if he could knock out a math class in high school, he would be happy about that.  The fact that it's self paced is wonderful for him. 

Does it work well for your child?

This may be a good course for your student.  My DS is total STEM so pretty easy so far.

He has finals this week and then after a short break he will return to the ASU course.

It is free to join and you have until April 2017 to complete.