Menu

Calculator Help!

My older ds (14) has been accepted into a gifted math program at our local university which will begin in the fall.  I'm going to need to buy him a calculator and am hoping, if it's possible, that I only need to buy one that will get him through the four years. I barely passed algebra 1 and failed geometry the first time around...I don't think I ever even had/needed anything more than a basic calculator so I really appreciate the help!

The coursework will look like this:

• 9th grade - 1/2 the year will be geometry, 1/4 of the year will be analytic and transformational geometry, 1/4 of the year will be an extensive course on probability
  • 10th grade - this year will cover algebra 2, trigonometry, and precalculus
  • 11th grade - calculus 1 and calculus 2
  • 12th grade - calculus 3 and introduction to linear algebra

Thanks in advance! :)

I'll just get any scientific calculator he fancy. There are many to choose from in the $10~$20 range that are more than adequate.

I'll hold off getting a graphing calculator until the lecturer requires one because lecturers may have preferences for certain models.

I'm not sure if you've gotten one yet (we're having finals so things have been busy) but another option is buying a cheap, used TI on ebay, if a calculator is not specified but a graphing calculator is recommended. I got my last used replacement for $10. 

Pretty much everyone requires a TI at the higher levels, but any cheap scientific calculator might be sufficient at the beginning.  Most professors put their calculator requirements on the syllabus, so you should be able to look at what they use this year if the syllabi are available on online.  And if you want to purchase, this chart is good to keep in mind https://education.ti.com/en/us/products#!lightbox=calculator-comparison-chart&product=graphing-calculators

• Like 1