Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

ISIS executed a 7-year-old by firing squad.

I can't believe this is 2016.  Just boggles the mind. :( Those poor parents, that poor boy, and I am sure all parents are just terrified.

I hate to say it but I think this will only get worse. Once you create a monster of violence and you run out of "legitimate victims" (not that there's any such thing but those that those within the system see as legitimate) you have to look harder and deeper to find someone else to punish and kill until people are being killed in the slightest pretext. Like the French Revolution at the end. You end up looking for any justification and maybe you end up killed yourself. Because a system created out of violence and desire for violence needs to keep feeding itself.

That poor kid. Those poor parents: all of them.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 10

Cannot bring myself to click on the link and read... but... :( :( :( :(

Let me summarize for you: Little boy was playing "football" (aka, soccer) out on the street and cursed. An ISIS thug overheard. Boy taken to Sharia law court and sentenced to be executed by firing squad in front of his parents. Which is exactly what happened, in the presence of hundreds of onlookers who were forced to watch.

I hate to say it but I think this will only get worse. Once you create a monster of violence and you run out of "legitimate victims" (not that there's any such thing but those that those within the system see as legitimate) you have to look harder and deeper to find someone else to punish and kill until people are being killed in the slightest pretext. Like the French Revolution at the end. You end up looking for any justification and maybe you end up killed yourself. Because a system created out of violence and desire for violence needs to keep feeding itself.

That poor kid. Those poor parents: all of them.

Yes, I think you're right.

Isis is evil.  I alway think of them, first are foremost, as rapists because of how they traffic women openly and shamelessly.  Bunch of rapist thugs terrorizing people.

I am so grateful to live in a land of peace and prosperity.  I do think some of the US's action have played into creating ISIS and that is a terrible, terrible thing. 

Candle for that poor baby.

• Like 1

Really?? I doubt it.

In order for them to maintain territory and run a state long term as they are attempting currently (as opposed to the stateless terrorist network), they need some sort of support on the ground from the population and/or local tribal clans. Terrorizing the inhabitants is not a viable long term strategy for a state.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

In order for them to maintain territory and run a state long term as they are attempting currently (as opposed to the stateless terrorist network), they need some sort of support on the ground from the population and/or local tribal clans. Terrorizing the inhabitants is not a viable long term strategy for a state.

When the punishment for speaking against them is the not-so-swift death of you, you children, your spouse, your mother and your neighbor, people will hide rather than speak up. Isis will not go away until they manage to commit some atrocity on foreign soil and powerful countries take up arms to destroy them.

• Like 5

I'd say this depends.  If they can maintain the support of key demographics - like disenfranchised young men - and keep others fearful and quiet, they may be able to make it work.

They've never really been a populist movement in terms of the population as a whole.

They seem to operate a lot like a gang with a really effective enforcer squad, and that can be pretty effective - look at some places in South America.

• Like 4

Someone needs to fund and arm those terrorized inhabitants.

Hey, wait, isn't that how ISIS got started?

• Like 1

My understanding is that there has been ground support for them among some Sunni tribes as they provided alliance against the Shiites. ISIS is already being pounded from the outside. Now pull the rug (any sort of local tribal alliance) out of their feet and it will be much harder for them to hold on to their spectacular gains. I think that is already happening.

They seem to operate a lot like a gang with a really effective enforcer squad, and that can be pretty effective - look at some places in South America.

Yes, Daesh is a gang crossed with an apocalyptic cult. Though they must have the caliphate, they are not in it for the long haul. They are in it to bring about the end times. That makes a huge difference in how one calculates what will "work" vs. not work. 

One thing everyone could do is help stop the foreign recruiting. To the extent that we ourselves and our politicians continue to attach the name of a major world religion to it, we legitimize it in the eyes of some making recruitment easier. 

Christians will know Christian kids who wanted to be "radical" for Jesus. What if Jim Jones had operated his cult in the age of internet?  This is the same principal. Kids are recruited to be "radical," to sacrifice, for their religion, but it's a cult. A cult crossed with a criminal gang with the weapons available to a small state. 

• Like 7

The Atlantic has an excellent article about the recruitment and how French prison system ended up inadvertently as a breeding ground for it.

Here is the link:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/05/europe-counterterrorism-failure-khaled-kelkal/481908/

I think fight has to be from all sides - oin the ground, policy choices ... But most of all ideology has to be faught with the ideology. They are picking passages from Koran to justify their deviance, so I would say large discussion within the community itself to counter the message is the key. I have no idea what/how is being done now, but I will be surprised if such efforts aren't being made.

• Like 1

My understanding is that there has been ground support for them among some Sunni tribes as they provided alliance against the Shiites. ISIS is already being pounded from the outside. Now pull the rug (any sort of local tribal alliance) out of their feet and it will be much harder for them to hold on to their spectacular gains. I think that is already happening.

It is. It is a slow process, but the areas of ISIS control are shrinking.

Sadly, as that happens you can likely expect ISIS atrocities within the lands they hold to increase.

• Like 2

And this will be their undoing.

I sadly doubt it.  

I recently watched a video of a woman who believed that she had properly disposed of a copy of the Koran (according to their "rules" about such) and someone didn't think she did.  Basically, a mob of people stoned, stomped, and burned her to death.  That wasn't even ISIS.  It was people in the street joining in the accuser(s).  After her death she was exonerated.  That is ONE story.  So sorry if I don't believe that culture is going to be amazingly civilized and just if ISIS ever gets their a$$es kicked.

• Like 1

I would love to think the evil that is ISIS could be eradicated, but evil simply turns up in a new place. That said, ISIS is so vile that they will harm as many innocents as they can before they go. If they go out, it will get a lot worse than it's been before they are gone. They feed on the blood of innocents like vampires.

Oh, this is awful :( I have a 7 year old boy. While not unexpected coming from ISIS, it's still shocking and tragic because the killing of a child should always be shocking and tragic. 

I really hope ISIS is stopped soon.

It seems to be working for North Korea. I'm not sure "do what it takes to keep your family alive" is the same as the same as "support."