Menu

Another "After GSWL" question

I just read over a dozen threads asking this same question, but feel no better off in making my decision since just about any and every program is recommended.

This is for DS9, rising 4th grader next year (but generally working ahead of grade level).

I don't need something independent as I want to work alongside him and keep learning Latin myself. I don't really want to do a video format. He's not big on word puzzles, so I don't want anything that relies on lots of crosswords, word searches or anything like that. Short lessons or something easily broken up into shorter segments is a plus (we like that we can finish a lesson of GSWL in 10 minutes or so most days).

Given those parameters, what would you suggest?

• Like 1

Gosh, sounds like GSWL ;-)

I wish it was a longer program!

My DS went to lively Latin because we were going to be in the live condensed class. But the class time changed and he couldn't attend, but we already had the books, so stuck with it. It might be a good program for your child - DS does it independently (I just check his work). There's the option to watch video online but he doesn't like to.

We are likely switching to Henle or Wheelocks next year.

• Like 1

We're happy with Latin for Children so far.  Not too puzzle-y, and the grammar and vocab instruction is more rigorous than GSWL, so even though we're starting from the beginning, it's not been boring or too much review.  Plus we just started Headventureland online, and my ds likes the break from textbook work now and then (to keep up morale).  My only dislike is that ds hasn't been translating every day like he did in GSWL...but then, GSWL is really a unique program.  Agreed, there needs to be volume 2!

• Like 2

Latin Prep or Latin Book One (free on Yahoo) might fit...The Great Latin Adventure might work as well.  All three programs have Latin to English and English to Latin translation work; my kids enjoyed Latin for Children, but there just wasn't enough practice *using* all that vocab to make it stick (yes, we used Libellus de Historia, and the Activitiy books).

While you're deciding, you could have your child do GSWL backwards...take the Latin (in the answers at the back of the book) and translate to English.  It is not as easy as it sounds sometimes, and will be a nice review. ;)

• Like 1

I don't need something independent as I want to work alongside him and keep learning Latin myself. I don't really want to do a video format. He's not big on word puzzles, so I don't want anything that relies on lots of crosswords, word searches or anything like that. Short lessons or something easily broken up into shorter segments is a plus (we like that we can finish a lesson of GSWL in 10 minutes or so most days).

Lingua Latina, hands down. Even if you don't want to use it forever (it gets pretty challenging midway through, but by then you might love it so much by then that you want to stick with it even though it is hard ;-) (keep in mind it is technically a college-level book, so it will take several years for a younger kid, particularly elementary age.

As I just posted in this thread asking about Lingua Latina versus Henle, take a look at some sample pages in the first couple chapters of Lingua Latina. Even if you don't know ANY Latin, I bet you could take a look at the map of the Roman Empire, and then read through pgs 7 and 8 - and voila, even with NO Latin background you have just read two pages in Latin!

You might think it isn't all that much Latin, but even just in those two pages you have been exposed to (and understood) ALL this grammar:

- first declension nouns in nominative (singular and plural)

- first declension nouns in ablative (singular)

- second declension nouns in nominative (singular and plural)

- second declension nouns in ablative (singular)

- irregular verb sum in present tense, third person singular and plural

- negation

- three interrogative forms

- a few conjuctions and prepositions

- several nouns (excluding a bunch of country names)

- use of first/second declension adjectives

And all of that grammar is taught more explicitly in some additional resources, which I highly recommend if you do not know Latin (which we did not):

A College Companion (explicit grammar notes and glossary - extremely helpful)

Exercitia Latina (this is an exercise book chock full of great exercises - some get hard, though, so keep in mind these aren't "required")

Answer Key

Optional: Colloquia Personarum (extra readings for each chapter, just for more fun - you could buy this down the road if you wanted).

But I bet even with no previous Latin, you could still read those two pages. And that right there is what makes Lingua Latina sooooo fabulous!

We're happy with Latin for Children so far.... My only dislike is that ds hasn't been translating every day like he did in GSWL...but then, GSWL is really a unique program.  Agreed, there needs to be volume 2!

IMHO, Lingua Latina is a PERFECT move from GSWL. It is all in Latin, but SO well written that you can figure it out as you read! Check out some of the sample pages from the first couple of chapters linked above. You learn TONS of vocab and grammar in this program, and it is not only hugely effective in terms of retaining the material, but actually *fun*, Yes, FUN :D

Latin Prep or Latin Book One (free on Yahoo) might fit...The Great Latin Adventure might work as well.  All three programs have Latin to English and English to Latin translation work; my kids enjoyed Latin for Children, but there just wasn't enough practice *using* all that vocab to make it stick (yes, we used Libellus de Historia, and the Activitiy books).

While you're deciding, you could have your child do GSWL backwards...take the Latin (in the answers at the back of the book) and translate to English.  It is not as easy as it sounds sometimes, and will be a nice review. ;)

Yep. This is hands-down the #1 reason I don't like LfC, or in fact most programs like it for the elementary grades. But honestly, even *elementary* students can get a LOT out of the method used in Lingua Latina, even if you just want to do it for maybe 8-12 chapters (out of 35). Those 8-12 chapters would teach a LOT of vocab and grammar (and would take a while to get through for most young kids - probably a year for jr high, and could be at least 2-3 yrs for early elementary, depending on how rigorously you approach it.

• Like 2

Short lessons or something easily broken up into shorter segments is a plus (we like that we can finish a lesson of GSWL in 10 minutes or so most days).

Oh, I forgot to respond to this part!

For Lingua Latina, it is SUPER easy to have short lessons. Just read together. DS9 and I have been reading it now for over 3 yrs (we are on chapter 21) and DS6 and I just started it (we are starting chapter 2). With DS9 sometimes we are more intense, using the Exercitia Latina. But many times, we simply sit side-by-side on the couch and trade off reading paragraphs. Some of the paragraphs (particularly in early chapters) include questions which are then answered in the next sentence, so for DD6 we often trade off asking and answering questions. I used to always ask the question and DD6 would answer, but DD6 now likes to sometimes be the question-asker.

Anyway, this format totally lends itself to short lessons. Just set a timer if you want, and read until it goes off. Or decide to read a paragraph, or a page, or whatever you think DC is up for that day. Rereading chapters you have previously read is also a great way to review your learning as well as take a mental break from new vocab and grammar. And to add to the fabulousness - all of this takes zero planning on your part! - just a few bookmarks (we put a bookmark at the place we have read the farthest, at the place where we are reading for Exercitia Latina (lags our reading by several chapters) and at the place where we are just rereading for review and fun :D

The other benefit to doing it this way is that you and your DC can work *together* to figure out what something means. Sometimes it is obvious, but sometimes not as obvious, and it has been great for DS for me to "model" for him how to think through using the context and logic to try to figure it out. It has also been good for him to see that sometimes there might be a sentence we don't fully "get", but we will later loop back through and it will become clearer the more we continue to learn.

Edited by tranquility7
  • Like 1

We use Logos Latin, and it works well for us.  We don't get the DVDs, just the student and teacher books, and it's something we can do together.  It's focus is more on vocabulary and less on fluency, which was what I was looking for.  My oldest started Logos Latin in 5th grade (because we tried something else first), and my middle started in 4th grade; both have done well.  We've done Latin I and Latin II, and my oldest will be moving on to a modern language this year.

• Like 1

Another vote for a GSWL Level 2 here! I'm in the same boat as the OP: rising fourth-grader, finished GSWL, love the short lessons, and enjoy learning along with my son. 

I've hemmed and hawed for the past month and finally decided to do Henle with the Memoria Press First Year Henle guide. It feels a little crazy to be doing such a dry, academic program with a fourth grader, but I'm hoping to use it in the same style as GSWL: short, ten-minute, conversational lessons each day, learning each declension piece by piece and gradually adding words to his Latin vocabulary. 

I love Lingua Latina (and used it for self-study a couple of years ago), but I think it wouldn't be sequential enough for my son. He's really thrived on learning the grammar bit by bit in GSWL, so LL didn't feel like the right fit for our main curriculum. I'm planning to use it as a reading supplement every few weeks, when we need a little variety or my son needs some time for the grammar to sink in. 

• Like 2

We moved into Latin for Children but it definitely is a more rigorous course and doesn't have your kid translating every day like GSWL. It's working but I'm definitely not in love with it. We're keeping with it b/c it gets done and Dd seems Ok with it for now.

If you do decide to go with LfC, I wouldn't buy the Activity guide that goes with each level as it's mainly the kind of thing your kid hates (crosswords and puzzle-y stuff :) Just an fyi. Headventureland is similar to the Activity book in puzzle games and matching quizzes, etc. 

• Like 1