Menu

FLL 3... More independent?

No, and that is why we are moving on from FLL to CLE LA next year for 4th & 6th. Even though the content of FLL 3 & 4 is fine, the format is no longer a good fit for where my students are now. With Levels 1, 2, and part of 3, everything being teacher-directed was fine. But now, the girls and I are just done with needing me to conduct every little aspect of every single lesson. I mean, there is no transition to greater independence with Level 3 or Level 4 than there was with Levels 1 and 2, other than the student writes a bit more in the workbook. But taking charge of any part of the lesson? Nope.

With WWE, we appreciated that there was this transition from Level 2 to Level 3 (we never needed Level 4). The student in WWE 3 begins to take responsibility for some of the lesson, something that is so critical for students at this age. The jump up from WWE to WWS 1 was also just right, as the student takes on even more responsibility and gains independence.

I wish FLL did this also, but it doesn't. Hopefully, CLE will fit the bill. HTH.

• Like 1

Nope. They can't do anything in that workbook without the scripting from the TM.  DD/10th used FLL 3 when it was brand new and did make it to the end, but she greatly disliked that book by the time she got there. :tongue_smilie:  As much as we loved FLL 1/2, we go elsewhere for 3.

• Like 2

Nope. They can't do anything in that workbook without the scripting from the TM.  DD/10th used FLL 3 when it was brand new and did make it to the end, but she greatly disliked that book by the time she got there. :tongue_smilie:  As much as we loved FLL 1/2, we go elsewhere for 3.

That has been our experience, as well, and it's a shame, because the students are really ready to take on the grammar more on their own, I think. My girls have all said that they like grammar, they are just tired of having to listen to me, LOL. But FLL would work so much better if it could be reformatted to be directed to (and at least a bit more by) the student.

SilverMoon, what do you use for grammar past FLL 2?

SilverMoon, what do you use for grammar past FLL 2?

The older kids all went straight over to R&S English. Boring perhaps, but it was efficient and they're great at grammar. My current 2nd grader finished FLL 2 pretty early this year. After that I added some R&S 3 staggered with the writing book she'd already been using, Primary Lessons in Language and Composition (Maxwell). In hindsight I could have just left her in straight Primary lessons and it would have been fine, but she enjoyed the more nuts and bolts lessons of R&S. For third grade she's going to use Treasured Conversations which covers grammar and composition. I haven't thought much beyond that, but R&S 3-8 and the Maxwell series are already in the closet.

• Like 2

I've found that with FLL3, I can summarize much of the scripting, and after the first of several similar exercises, I don't need to walk my son through it every.single.time - I'm right there if he needs me, but I'm unloading the dishwasher or starting the crock pot or putting in a load of laundry.  We've modified it so that it works for us, and my son does actually like grammar.  Granted, doing entire lessons in overly fake British accents, or speaking like pirates the whole time also adds an element of fun to some of FLL...

• Like 1

Can treasured conversations be used in 4th?

And is R&S really that much more independent? I keep picking it up and looking at it and it just seems like a ton of writing for my writing phobic child:-( for that reason I've considered CLE in 3rd... But I think I'll do FLL2/WWE1&2 in 3rd and was considering treasured conversations in 4th.

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

Can treasured conversations be used in 4th?

And is R&S really that much more independent? I keep picking it up and looking at it and it just seems like a ton of writing for my writing phobic child:-( for that reason I've considered CLE in 3rd... But I think I'll do FLL2/WWE1&2 in 3rd and was considering treasured conversations in 4th.

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

I use R&S after FLL, but we do it almost entirely orally. I do have him diagram a couple sentences at the end of every lesson. But other than that we do it orally. It's an excellent program, but prob not what you are looking for.  Some people do use it largely independently, but I think that means a lot of writing

The only totally independent grammar program I personally have experience with is Growing With Grammar, but I don't have a positive opinion of it. Some people like it though..but again, it is writing. If something is going to be done in a more independent way, it's generally going to call for more writing.

Treasured Conversations says it's appropriate for grades 3-5.

If you look closely R&S English isn't really that much writing. They don't usually copy the whole sentence, just the verb phrase, or choosing the right verb from a couple options. If there are complete sentences to copy it's doubling as a composition lesson.

I have a DD going into 3rd grade.  We are going to use CLE LA 3 for this very reason.  I also have a DS going into 1st who will be starting FLL 1 and a PreK who will need a bit more instruction.  I just need SOMETHING to be more independent since we will be doing MFW ECC, WWE and I also teach her math.  

R&S was another option for us.  Either one is great, so if you NEED more independence, you may look at those. 

I think it's probably possible to have your student use both the teacher's manual and the workbook and make it independent. While I recognize the answers are in the manual, I think it's gentle and mostly leading anyway. I do think it would get old after 4 years of it. We are in our first year.