Menu

Can we talk about mattresses?

Wilma

We're fixing to purchase a new mattress. But gee whiz, I hate the thought of paying $$$ for what seems so simple a thing. Do any of y'all have experience with IKEA mattresses? Or have any other ideas that would be more I the $ range I stead of the $$$? But! It still has to be good and last a long time. Is that just too much to hope for?

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Two things you try not to scrimp on ... good shoes and a good mattress.  When we first got married we bought a cheap mattress and it was terrible after 6 months and shot after 2 years.  It was a few years of misery, honestly.  We then spent good money on a mattress and still love it twelve years later :)

• Like 3

We gor the 2nd to 3rd most firm IKEA mattress over 10 years ago for our bed, then a few years later IKEA mattresses for both the childrens' beds. They are still as comfy today and in as good of shape as the day we got them, and the have gone through at least half a dozen moves. You need to try all the different firmness choices out and see what you like. I thnk they are more comfy than the several thousand dollar ones we tried out.

Edited by ElizabethB

We got an IKEA mattress for our son about 6 years ago and it is good. It looks still like new and the few times I have slept on it (despite sleeping with my son) it was comfortable.

We also have a Sleep Number bed that is 11 years old and looks like new too. So take what I say for what it is worth. Sleep number bed was in the $3000 range and the IKEA bed was in the $100 range (twin).

• Like 1

I think it's too much to hope for.  We're on our third set of mattresses in our marriage, and after about year 6-7, it's just not in great shape.  We're currently 6 months in on a new mattress--a $600ish memory foam from Costco.  It's comfortable, but I don't think it's going to make it to year 10.

We have a latex mattress and love it. When we needed to replace the kids' mattresses (cheap twins we bought when we knew we'd be moving twice in a short period), we bought them latex from sleepez.com (which is the company that bought out the company we bought ours from long ago). They're so comfortable! Supposedly latex lasts longer than spring mattresses. Ours is 10 years old and no lumps, bumps, or sinking. I miss it desperately when we go on vacation. 

The kids have 2 mattresses each, the extra is used when friends visit. The extras are stored downstairs and used as gymnastics mats...they get a fair amount of pounding and are in good shape, too!! (They get slept on infrequently but jumped on often and are not lumpy.) They are firmer than a regular mattress so safer for gymnastics than a normal lumpy softer mattress.

Edited by ElizabethB

The last time we bought a mattress we had stayed in a timeshare on vacation for a week and liked their mattresses, so we called them and asked where to get them and bought one just like it.  I can never tell by lying down briefly in a store whether something is going to be comfortable day in and day out, so this seemed like more of a sure thing.

I'm so glad we did, it's great.  I'm going to do exactly the same thing next time.