Menu

Joanne's newest update: File under "you can't make this stuff up" ~ (graphic and tmi warning)

Joanne

I'm fat, female, and fifty; I don't fit my image of a Crohn's sufferer at all!

But here I am. My most dramatic and recent flare developed on an Educational Tour of Europe. Since I was traveling, I assumed I had "eaten something bad." I figured my system would purge the offending food, and I would return to my normal. That never happened.

I spent my 50th birthday in a bar in a tourist village in Italy, doubled over in pain, sipping ginger ale so that I'd have access to the bathroom. Fortunately, there were other leaders on the tour and the teens were allowed to travel in groups of 3 or more during down/nonstructured time.

I am still traumatized by the plane ride home from Italy to Texas with unrelenting cramping, explosive you-know-what, and what had progressed to dehydration.

Still, I thought I'd go home, sleep in my own bed, and be better. But I got home, put my bags down, went to the bathroom deposit a bowl of blood. Went to the ER, got a CT scan which revealed an ENTIRE colon of inflammation. A few days later, a colonoscopy with 3 biopsies revealed IBD: Crohns. I was in the hospital for a week. My dehydration was severe, my veins disappeared. IV and blood draws were painful and bruising.

I believe my first flare was actually 22 years ago, when I was pregnant with my oldest. I think because I was female, 1st pregnancy, and my report of symptoms were dismissed and disregarded.

Now that I know, so much makes sense. I "knew" for years I had IBS. Recently developed a very "noisy" belly. Got diagnosed and treated for GERD in the last year. Migraines for the first time in the last 5 years. You might remember my daughter (19) had an autoimmune - juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed when she was 10.)

I have an upper endoscopy scheduled for Wednesday. My GI is concerned that "my" Crohns is pervasive throughout my digestive track. It was in all 3 biopsies and since my hospital discharge, I have developed external symptoms in my nether region. 

I went from NO Rx, no supplements, no pills at 48 to having to buy a pill organizer with 4 daily sections.

I'm not liking "50" so far.

• Like 5

Oh no! Crohn's can be so difficult to deal with, especially at first. What a traumatic time you had finding out! Stress relief is important--meditate, pray, practice yoga, whatever it may be for you. And let me know if you need information/ideas/answers to questions.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

The website healingwell.com has a forum devoted exclusively to Crohn's and also one devoted to Ulcerative Colitis.  There is a wealth of information to be gleaned on those forums along with a ton of mutual support, encouragement, and just some plain old commiseration!  BTDT.  You might want to pop in and check it out.  No registration is required unless you decide that you want to start posting.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that you've been so sick!  

My daughter has suffered with digestive problems for many years, and this year has been particularly bad for her but she's finally improving.   I hope you won't be offended by some "free advice" but it's offered with much care and concern.  If you feel up to it, please read about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  Here's a brief explanation of why this diet is a healing diet: 

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/about-the-diet/

I hope you're feeling better soon!  :grouphug:  

That sucks!!!  I hope you quickly find what YOU need to care for YOUR body.  After watching my mom struggle with IBS for years (in the pants, side of the road with fire ants, potty in the back of the vehicle at all times, etc.), I cried when I found out I had IBS also.  I thought I was going to be house bound for life.  I wish you the best in finding what works so you can get out there and live!   :grouphug:

So sorry!

On the upside, maybe the underlying, undiagnosed Crohn's had been a factor in other ailments; by getting it under control, perhaps you will feel better all-around? I hope this finding will turn out to be beneficial for you.

I'm so sorry you are going through this! After reading your post I looked up Crohn's disease, and I really think my husband should be checked for it. Aside from the bowel issues he has a strange shin rash and these red itchy things on his back that look similar to the pictures that are on Wikipedia. And he's a smoker.🙠I never would have connected those three things... While I hope he doesn't have it it would be nice to have a cause for these issues he is having. And maybe he will finally quit smoking!!! Thanks for posting.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  I hope you find some answers that work well for you.  Getting older is not for the weak of heart. (sigh) My grandmother tried to warn me in my youth, but I dismissed her at that time.  Silly me.  Take care.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: