Menu

Way to go Nyquist!

creekland

I had to google. I don't keep up with these things. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think there are that many of us who watch horse racing on here, but I figured the handful of us who did would catch it.   :coolgleamA:

I want to go next year!  In my dreams!

I've been to Churchill Downs on a non-race day and we were fortunate enough to get a private tour (for free) from one of the security guards.  We got to see where the millionaires hang out, the paddock, the finish line, and, well, pretty much everything one sees on TV.  It was just a stretch break on our way visiting colleges, but proves there are still some awesome people in the world who are willing to give their time to fans.

I don't think I ever want to go on Derby Day though.  It would really hit my crowd allergy.  I enjoy watching from the comfort of my home.  On a non Derby Day it would be fun - just a normal race day.

When I was in France 20 years ago, I went to Chantilly racecourse and was able to walk up and pet a grandson of Native Dancer.  :ohmy:   Went back last year and the place was locked down - couldn't get within a mile of any of the top racehorses.  Times have changed....

I liked your post, but I actually don't want to see a repeat of '78.  That one is in the record books like Gunbow and Kelso for me and I want it to stay that special and rare.  I remember exactly where I was and what the day was like and what I was doing when Affirmed nosed Alydar out for the Triple Crown that June.

I don't think there are that many of us who watch horse racing on here, but I figured the handful of us who did would catch it.   :coolgleamA:

I've been to Churchill Downs on a non-race day and we were fortunate enough to get a private tour (for free) from one of the security guards.  We got to see where the millionaires hang out, the paddock, the finish line, and, well, pretty much everything one sees on TV.  It was just a stretch break on our way visiting colleges, but proves there are still some awesome people in the world who are willing to give their time to fans.

I don't think I ever want to go on Derby Day though.  It would really hit my crowd allergy.  I enjoy watching from the comfort of my home.  On a non Derby Day it would be fun - just a normal race day.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

I don't think there are that many of us who watch horse racing on here, but I figured the handful of us who did would catch it. :coolgleamA:

I don't think I ever want to go on Derby Day though. It would really hit my crowd allergy. I enjoy watching from the comfort of my home. On a non Derby Day it would be fun - just a normal race day.

It's a lot of people but it is worth it. The excitement of being with 160,000 cheering people is pretty fun. I've only ever done the infield.

I don't think Nyquist will be a Triple Crown winner. That's my uneducated opinion.

• Like 1

We watched...we always watch the Derby, Preakness and Belmont...and any others that they show on local network. I grew up going to the races often. Horse races were a HUGE part of our lives growing up and was a big chunk of our income. I was so excited that Nyquist won! :)

• Like 1

When I was in France 20 years ago, I went to Chantilly racecourse and was able to walk up and pet a grandson of Native Dancer.  :ohmy:   Went back last year and the place was locked down - couldn't get within a mile of any of the top racehorses.  Times have changed....

I liked your post, but I actually don't want to see a repeat of '78.  That one is in the record books like Gunbow and Kelso for me and I want it to stay that special and rare.  I remember exactly where I was and what the day was like and what I was doing when Affirmed nosed Alydar out for the Triple Crown that June.

Times sure have changed.  It's sad that they've had to change like that.

I also very fondly remember Affirmed and Alydar.  The whole thing seems like Deja Vu at this point due to American Pharoah being so dominant last year before and during the races, then losing the Travers afterward, and now Nyquist being quite dominant, but Exaggerator coming on strong at the end.  Granted Affirmed wasn't undefeated at the time, but many other points are so similar.

Only time will tell when the Preakness and Belmont come... Alydar got closer with each race (as you know).

It's a lot of people but it is worth it. The excitement of being with 160,000 cheering people is pretty fun. I've only ever done the infield.

I don't think Nyquist will be a Triple Crown winner. That's my uneducated opinion.

Time will tell.  142 got to this point, only 12 succeeded.  He looked pretty worthy to me yesterday - like a true racehorse, not a "wow" fluke who got lucky with the run.  But one never knows.  That's why they race, after all!

I still find it very cool that Secretariat would have beaten all contenders every year.  He was my very first Derby memory and I've watched every single one since.  What a way to start my tradition, and what a horse!

• Like 1

I saw a neat quote yesterday that said it takes over a mile to win a race but 100 yards to lose a race. A stumbling start, being boxed in, track conditions, etc. can all make or break a horse's chance of winning. Sometimes the best horse doesn't win.

Nyquist looked good yesterday. It will be intersting to watch him run a longer race.

• Like 2