Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
momchiroto2

Apples and Pears as a stand alone?

DS 8 is slowly making his way through Apples and Pears.  I was wondering if you recommend adding another LA program to this? 

Would adding WWE be too much for this stage? He is definitely a struggling writer.

Thanks!

Apples and Pears has a lot of writing in it, but is not a writing curriculum, so it might be an idea to add WWE but skip the copywork/dictation and just do the narration. Or just skip a formal writing curriculum and do narrations on your own. If he struggles with writing and is only 8, I wouldn't be rushing to add a load more. 

• Like 1

It depends on the age. It takes the place of dictation and copywork for sure in the younger grades. By the end of second, beginning of third I add IEW and narration.

• Like 1

We added Writing Skills Book A.  Simple and open-and-go, but still has more thinking involved (as well as some grammar) that isn't included in A&P.

He's little yet. I think it's ok to just wait if you think it might be overwhelming.

You could use just the narration part of WWE and have him do those narrations orally with you acting as scribe for him if that might make it all easier. There is a lot of physical writing in Apples and Pears, and the dictations will be much more appropriate for him.

I think Treasured Conversations starts at a sentence level? It might be an option too.

• Like 1

He's little yet. I think it's ok to just wait if you think it might be overwhelming.

You could use just the narration part of WWE and have him do those narrations orally with you acting as scribe for him if that might make it all easier. There is a lot of physical writing in Apples and Pears, and the dictations will be much more appropriate for him.

I think Treasured Conversations starts at a sentence level? It might be an option too.

I agree with your thoughts on WWE. Fwiw TC very quickly ramps up(as in the first couple of weeks- IIRC I just looked at it again) they are copying paragraphs and then work on paragraph development. I would not pick it as the first writing program for a kid- although I do love it. WWE is pretty gentle or BW practices as mentioned.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I'm currently using A&P and WWE and BW Arrow with my reluctant writer. He's 10 and I've slowly ramped up from ages 8 to 10. I break up A&P into a page a day. He started typing WWE dictation. He does write out copywork. I spread it all out and modify. WWE is very gentle and you can modify it to what will work for you. Try the sample and see how it goes. You still have plenty of time to work through WWE. 

Thank you everyone!

I have been using TC with my older son, it is still too early to use it with my eight year old. I will implement WWE narration with him. I love the idea of having him type out his dictations. It has been a slow process with him, he is a very phonetic speller. We have an OT eval in a week.

We use English Lessons Through Literature 2 with apples and pears spelling.   This covers literature, poetry, narration (oral composition), grammar, and handwriting practice.  (the copy work selections in level 2 are REALLY short.   So I have her copy these over in her best cursive handwriting.)