Menu

Apples and Pears as a stand alone?

Apples and Pears has a lot of writing in it, but is not a writing curriculum, so it might be an idea to add WWE but skip the copywork/dictation and just do the narration. Or just skip a formal writing curriculum and do narrations on your own. If he struggles with writing and is only 8, I wouldn't be rushing to add a load more. 

• Like 1

He's little yet. I think it's ok to just wait if you think it might be overwhelming.

You could use just the narration part of WWE and have him do those narrations orally with you acting as scribe for him if that might make it all easier. There is a lot of physical writing in Apples and Pears, and the dictations will be much more appropriate for him.

I think Treasured Conversations starts at a sentence level? It might be an option too.

• Like 1

He's little yet. I think it's ok to just wait if you think it might be overwhelming.

You could use just the narration part of WWE and have him do those narrations orally with you acting as scribe for him if that might make it all easier. There is a lot of physical writing in Apples and Pears, and the dictations will be much more appropriate for him.

I think Treasured Conversations starts at a sentence level? It might be an option too.

I agree with your thoughts on WWE. Fwiw TC very quickly ramps up(as in the first couple of weeks- IIRC I just looked at it again) they are copying paragraphs and then work on paragraph development. I would not pick it as the first writing program for a kid- although I do love it. WWE is pretty gentle or BW practices as mentioned.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone!

I have been using TC with my older son, it is still too early to use it with my eight year old. I will implement WWE narration with him. I love the idea of having him type out his dictations. It has been a slow process with him, he is a very phonetic speller. We have an OT eval in a week.

We use English Lessons Through Literature 2 with apples and pears spelling.   This covers literature, poetry, narration (oral composition), grammar, and handwriting practice.  (the copy work selections in level 2 are REALLY short.   So I have her copy these over in her best cursive handwriting.)