Menu

Looking for advice (3rd grade English)

Hey, I'm looking for the Hive's input.  I just scored a whole set of MCT books today from a friend who is decluttering.  This is fabulous, except for the little-bitty hiccup that I had decided to stick with ELTL because it's does what I want it to do and is easy to implement.  I want to let them go to another home if I'm not going to use them, you know?  That, and I have family of 5 in a 850sqft house and I'm trying to not hang on to everything.

Thanks!

Anabel

Oh, the glory!  I'd be in seventh heaven if someone gifted me with those...but if you have something that works for your family, you probably don't want to change course unless you're so cash-strapped that having something free instead of buying the next ELTL materials makes a significant difference in your budget.

Oh, the glory!  I'd be in seventh heaven if someone gifted me with those...

I know, right?  I feel goofy even thinking about giving them away.  But ELTL works well for us, better in some ways since it's written for a homeschool audience.

• Like 1

I would keep it.  You still have your 2 yo to teach.  She may be one of those who like MCT instead of ELTL. 

For example, I got FLL 1 - 4 because I like it so much.  However, my ds had other plans.  ;)  Somewhere in the beginning of FLL 2 I could sense it was too repetitive for him, and he was bored.  I even skipped pages or waited a few days for the next lesson.  I bought MCT, and wow what a difference.  He asks to do MCT.  He was sad when grammar island was over with. 

Just my 2 cents.  :) 

I would go with what works for your kids. At our house we have had more success with things like MCT that are big picture, written to the child (with respect and without patronizing), and don't require tedious or repetitive work. I would have loved to get those materials free!

Then again, if ELTL is working for your child and accomplishing your goals I see no point in changing.

I don't think you need to change, but I will tell you what we've most benefited from with MCT that I think can be used along with any curriculum in case you want to milk a few things to carry on to other programs.

4 level analysis--you can use this with any grammar once you know the parts of it. It's really, really solid and helpful. (We diagram as well, but I know some people us it instead of diagramming.)

Poetry--the poetry books are beautiful.

Writing--I think the Island and Town level give an overview of how you write good sentences and paragraphs. 

We haven't done the upper levels yet, and I suspect they will become less efficient/helpful/charming for my kids over the long haul (we have some learning issues that make parts ideal and parts frustrating), but I think even if you don't "do" the curriculum, you might read some of the books for fun and then see what you want to pull from them that can go with your other stuff. The early levels really are accessible as stories that teach. I feel like they make you want to learn the subjects they discuss.