Menu

Tell me about Flyway

Catherine

Please tell me about your experiences with Feliway plug ins. Our cat can no longer go outside (he has feline AIDS) and he is absolutely nuts: roaming, crying for hours, pawing frantically at the windows and doors, and spraying all over the house. It's been 5 weeks of this with no sign of relief. But looking at the Amazon reviews, I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

I tried the canine equivalent for my anxious and aggressive dog, and it had no effect.  :( It still might be worth a try in your case.

Is there any possible way you could put up a catio? 

https://www.catiospaces.com

http://catioshowcase.com

http://jacksongalaxy.com/category/catification/outdoor-enclosures/

It's my understanding that FIV is spread mainly through bite wounds, not through casual contact. I would imagine that an outdoor enclosure would keep your cat from getting into any fights and potentially spreading the virus.

• Like 1

From my own experience and from what I've heard on pet message boards over the years, Feliway and other pheromone products can be almost a miracle for some pets and seem to have no effect at all on others.  I don't know if that's really an individual pet thing (do some pets respond more to pheromones than others) or more due to whatever behavior is trying to be fixed (are certain behaviors more or less likely to be fixed by the addition of pheromones than others).

Have you talked with your vet?  I wonder if using an anxiety type medication short term might be helpful?  And I agree with MercyA that a Catio might be a very good solution.

• Like 2

We have a "catio" of sorts, a large screened porch that is completely enclosed.  He has no interest in going out there-I've tried several times.  He is a killer, this one. He's gotten gray squirrels, rats, and of course many many mice, moles, voles, snakes, etc.  But he is a total pussycat when he's inside, IF he has been allowed his outdoor freedom.  Right now, he's been confined indoors for 5 weeks and his desire to go out is not abating; his behavior seems almost like he is grieving.  I thought it would be better by now.  

I have not called the vet-good suggestion.  It seems obvious! Pills will be nearly impossible for this very strong-willed cat, but maybe there is liquid OR maybe a pill giving method I don't know about yet.  

depending on the medicine, compounding pharmacies can make things into a palatable liquid or a transdermal that you rub onto their ear or gums. 

definitely consult your vet. I'm assuming he's already neutered? 

It can take cats time to adjust. What happens when you put him in the catio with food, water, a scratch post, toys  and leave? 

• Like 1