Menu

How much do you spend in groceries a month-excluding restaurants?How many in family

This is a fascinating thread. At the Dave Ramsey website, many people recommend spending $100 a person per month. However, I don't think that includes all the extras - laundry detergent, soap, cleaning supplies, shampoo, vitamins...

I also wonder what the differences are between those of us who live in rural areas, versus suburbs, and/or large metropolitan areas. Which country any of us live in also affects the outcome. Hmm.

We have a family of 6. I buy all cleaning supplies, soap, shampoo, etc. in my grocery budget. My current budget is $200 a week. It's very tight. We eat organic, unless the difference between the organic and the conventional product is huge. I've recently started using store chicken, though it is natural. I purchase meat and other products that are close to, or at their expiration dates. This includes meat, which I put in my freezer as soon as I get it home. I spend about $100 a month (which is not always in the above budget) at the Gonna Rot store. This store has near expiration or expired foodstuffs. I buy most of our rice there, pasta, ketchup, etc. in this store. Generally, I don't buy packaged cereal, but it's $1.59 a box at the Gonna Rot store. I cannot predict what they will or will not have at the store, so if they have something I like, then I buy all they have. FE, in January when I was there, they had agave nectar. If I purchased it in the store, it would cost me over $4. I bought it for $1.99. Huge savings for us, but I bought several gallons in small containers. I've never found it to go bad.