Menu

Middle Earth Summer

I just thought I'd hop over here and invite any and all interested parties to spend the Summer in Middle Earth. I'm going to run a series of posts all Summer long on my blog with Shire like activities. We'll be reading The Hobbit aloud and doing all kinds of fun stuff.

It's all free and above board- kind of like a long distance Co-Op of Tolkien fans and their kids. I'll do a blog linky thing so we can steal from each other. 

I've got a few posts up on my blog explaining it all and we'll be reading from May 18- August 31. 

It's all secular and the only real requirement is that you promise not to make fun of my crafting skills.  :)

Jen

• Like 13

Oooh - thank you so much.  I love your pinterest board!  I need cooking ideas.  DD and I are reading The Hobbit now.  

We will be exploring philology, runes, cartography etc.  

She is also listening to The Tolkien Professor.

Looking forward to your future posts.

• Like 1

Makes me wish my kids were still young! (Youngest is a senior in high school now. Hard to believe!) We would have loved it as a family!

My kids are 10,17.20,22,25. This whole idea stems from me realizing that this is my last 10 yo and I'd better make it count. My older kids are all so excited to help. They keep texting me with random ideas to tie the book to the outdoors. It's been really fun.

• Like 1

My kids are 10,17.20,22,25. This whole idea stems from me realizing that this is my last 10 yo and I'd better make it count. My older kids are all so excited to help. They keep texting me with random ideas to tie the book to the outdoors. It's been really fun.

Is your 17 year old participating, or is it mostly just the 10 y.o.?

For your older kids or you exercise minded individuals, I don't know where he got it, but my Dh signed up for a "Walk to Mordor" program on the computer.  He logs in his millage and it tells him how far he has run in relation to the Tolkien books.  

I found the walk to rivendell program. We are hoping to get new bikes and bike there as opposed to walking- but we'll see how it all shakes out. I'll google mordor and see if I can find it. I wonder what the distance difference is? Probably a lot.

I found the walk to rivendell program. We are hoping to get new bikes and bike there as opposed to walking- but we'll see how it all shakes out. I'll google mordor and see if I can find it. I wonder what the distance difference is? Probably a lot.

Ah, maybe that's what it was.  All I know is, last summer he was constantly coming to me saying things like "I made it to the Inn of the Prancing Pony" or "I got to Tom Bombadil's" and I was really confused.

• Like 2