Menu

Anyone use Nessy with their dyslexic kiddo?

• 2 weeks later...

so just answering my own posts here :p

we tried the trial and it seems that issues I read before of the US part of the site not having a proper accent is fixed. It sounds normal to me. DS likes it and we are trying it out more. It's hard to say no to him wanting to play a reading game. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2016 at 12:04 PM, summerreading said:

so just answering my own posts here ?

we tried the trial and it seems that issues I read before of the US part of the site not having a proper accent is fixed. It sounds normal to me. DS likes it and we are trying it out more. It's hard to say no to him wanting to play a reading game. 

I realize it's not a year and a half later... did you end up purchasing a subscription to Nessy? If so, how did it go?  I'm contemplating it now for my 10 yr old struggling reader (possibly dyslexic but has not been evaluated).

16 hours ago, mom2Hh said:

I realize it's not a year and a half later... did you end up purchasing a subscription to Nessy? If so, how did it go?  I'm contemplating it now for my 10 yr old struggling reader (possibly dyslexic but has not been evaluated).

Hi, yes I did get the subscription. He is still moving through it. Some parts are frustrating for him but he is severely dyslexic. He likes it overall but gets stuck on some parts. The mnemonic tricks they teach for spelling do help out a lot. At the same time, I got Brainware Safari from the Homeschool Buyer's co-op to work on working memory. This child had over a year with a dyslexic reading tutor and it just got too pricey for us. He also had vision tracking issues separately that we needed to do vision therapy for. Basically, reading problems can be one of several things, or more than one in our case. So an evaluation is the best way to go. Have you gotten your child's vision checked? You can find a developmental eye doctor at covd.org

4 minutes ago, summerreading said:

Hi, yes I did get the subscription. He is still moving through it. Some parts are frustrating for him but he is severely dyslexic. He likes it overall but gets stuck on some parts. The mnemonic tricks they teach for spelling do help out a lot. At the same time, I got Brainware Safari from the Homeschool Buyer's co-op to work on working memory. This child had over a year with a dyslexic reading tutor and it just got too pricey for us. He also had vision tracking issues separately that we needed to do vision therapy for. Basically, reading problems can be one of several things, or more than one in our case. So an evaluation is the best way to go. Have you gotten your child's vision checked? You can find a developmental eye doctor at covd.org

Thank you for the update.  My ds has not had a full evaluation yet.  He had a speech eval done before he was 2 and recieved services until he was 3 and tested out.  Then we had him retested at the local SUNY (state college) speech and hearing center at age 5.  That did not go well for reasons that would make a separate post. But we found he was low in expressive language and something else.  They would have done some services with him there but we had such a bad experience with the supervisor (she seemed to be anti-homeschool) that there was no way we were going to use their services.  Had him evaluated again a year and half ago (speech) and though he had some low spots it was not enough for services (probably due to insurance rules).  To get a full neuropsych eval we have to get on a 6 month waiting list for someone over 2 hours away.  There may be a possibility that is in a different state that is closer to us (Stern Center in VT in case anyone here knows of them) but so far they have not responded to my emails with questions.  

Last night I had him do the Barton screening test and he failed part C...  I think he has more trouble with the auditory memory than the discrimination so I've been researching that now.  I will look into the Brainware Safari you mentioned.  I'm not sure if I should address these auditory issues before starting Nessy or any other reading program or ok to jump into Nessy at the same time.  He has done LOE Foundations level A, HOP (old, up through third level-orange), some of AAR level 1, Reading Eggs (which I saw a lot of progress with his reading but then it went to fast at some point and got too hard and also the subscription ran out.  Also, I found out after that he said there was a game with killing chickens ? that greatly upset him because we have "pet" egg layer chickens. ?) Anyway- I have always felt like he struggled just enough that I could not decide which program to move on with.  But he also has progressed on his own and can read more than those levels if there are pictures or context clues.  But the auditory issues affect so much more than reading...  it is affecting his relationships both in and out of the home. ?  But the speech eval guy didn't seem to think so, which is a sign he would not have been a good match for my ds anyway.