Menu

Any experience taking AP class with PA homeschoolers and not taking the AP test?

My dd is taking AP Bio but has struggled in the class most of the year.  Basically, the teaching style was not a good match with her learning style.  Now, she's so stressed about the test, that we're considering not having her take the test.  She thinks the teacher is requiring it.  She's a senior, and would not get credit at her college for this class.  

She's not new to AP classes and has done very well on the three she took the last 2 years.  She's also doing well in AP English Lit right now.  

I'm just done with the stress of this class.  She's a bright kid, but but this class really expects the kids to learn just by reading the text book, and asking questions on the board.  She has a hard time formulating questions about something she doesn't understand.

Thanks!

My dd is taking AP Bio but has struggled in the class most of the year.  Basically, the teaching style was not a good match with her learning style.  Now, she's so stressed about the test, that we're considering not having her take the test.  She thinks the teacher is requiring it.  She's a senior, and would not get credit at her college for this class.  

It's still a free country.  No one can make her take the test.  Unless has the teacher stated that her grade depends on her AP score?  Unlikely because they don't get their scores back until July.  She's a senior and already admitted to college, so no one is going to care.  

• Like 7

I don't think they can require her to take it and figure that into her grade at all. Like daijobu said, scores don't come back until July. However, just as another perspective, since there is no pressure at all on the score she gets, she could just take it for the experience, and see how she does. She might know more than she thinks. But, if she doesn't do well, it's no sweat. It might be interesting to take it just for the practice of taking a challenging test.

• Like 4

My D is taking one PAHS AP class this year. Originally she intended to take the AP exam, but decided not to after realizing that (in her case) there was no reason. (She intends to take the class "again" in college, so she wasn't planning to use the potential AP credit)

I even had her skip one of the AP prep tests they took last week and just might even have her skip the final. She's worked hard, has a good overall grade for the course, and I'm okay with calling it good.

I don't much care what the teacher says (he's not said anything thus far). My kid, my class, in the overall big picture. :)

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 3

My son is taking a class (physics) and hasn't grasped the material as well as he would like.  Since it's foundation for future classes he needs for his major (engineering), he doesn't feel like he's ready for the next level of this material.  He decided he would prefer to retake the classes in college to make sure he has as good as grasp as possible on the material before moving forward.  He knew this back in March so we never even signed him up for the tests and figured we could use the money elsewhere.  I know they really push better their school code on the form when you take the test but I don't think they can force you to take the test.

• Like 2

My daughter took that AP Bio class; the score is not figured into the fianl grade, and she can choose to forgo it if she prefers.

That teacher's style was not my daughter's favorite either. She was not great at communication.

My daughter did very well on the exam, but definitely used a prep book to get ready for the test.

• Like 2

Gr8lander, I'll have to see if my daughter is using her test prep book now.  Good idea!

With the scores arriving in July, it didn't seem like it could be part of her grade. 

She's feeling very underprepared right now.  And from conversations this year, I believe the teacher will say it is because she didn't post enough.  She's been studying hard all year, but can't quite grasp it.  I do think she could be successful in this subject if there had been some direct teaching.

Grantmom, she is considering just taking it to see how she does.  We'll see how it goes using the test prep book.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I just found out her class ended last week, and there was not any discussion about using a test prep book. The test is May 9th.  Anyone have a suggestion for me?  I'll be heading out to buy one tonight!

Thanks! 

Ignore the teacher expectations and do what is best for your child. There are pros and cons of taking the test.

One of our PA homeschooler teachers actually put in her syllabus that we can accept her grade and grading scale, OR as a parent and ultimate teacher we can choose to use her class as part of the learning opportunity and then grade however we want. I didn't change anything with that class, but it did give the insight that I can look upon the class as being part of what I use to teach x, with the "teacher" being the tutor and me being the ultimate teacher and decision maker. I can add/delete assignments as I felt necessary and then assign my own grade - did adjust for a different class.

• Like 2