Menu

Math-U-See Beta. Do you really need the second set of blocks?

knitgrl

Last year, when our daughter was in Kindergarten, I picked up Math-U-See Primer with one set of blocks. When I went to the homeschool conference a year ago and ordered Alpha, it was suggested that the second set of blocks would be helpful and so I got those, too, newbie that I am. I am mildly annoyed that we are nearly finished and have never cracked open the second set. I intend to go on with Beta, because the program is working well enough. I was thinking about selling the unused set of blocks to a friend, but am wondering if I am really going to need them next year.

I have the older sets, basic and completer. I only ever use the first set with one child. The rest are helpful with two or more children working at the same time. Now the algebra / decimal blocks are different and theoretically used in middle school math. We never even touched them by that point.

We didn't need the second set of blocks, though I guess it could have been nice (I'm teaching 2 with a toddler that steals blocks...).  But, I can't remember it ever stopping me in my tracks or changing how I needed to show anything.  We are on Gamma now and sometimes it would be super nice to have the second set.  But I just do problems that I have the blocks for as examples, then either don't show the blocks for the others, or draw it on the board instead.  

I have two sets and use both from time to time with DD.  She is in Gamma and the extra blocks have come in handy....especially the extra hundreds.  

But...DD has some moderate Math-related LDs and so she really needs to see a problem with the blocks...sometimes that means needing more blocks...lol

• Like 1

That is a good point, with the hundreds blocks.  Alpha's focus is on single digit addition/subtraction.  It's highly unlikely you'll use a ton of blocks doing it (the highest I can think of is the 12 fives needed for the clock).  Beta is on multidigit, and Gamma starts to use a full spread.  Though I have found that most children get familiar enough with the weight and feel and may only need a visual representation.  In that case, a paper set would do fine if you got rid of your second plastic set.

I thought you just needed a second set with the older blocks?  When we purchased them a few years ago, only one was needed for the entire program (or so I understood).  I often wouldn't mind more, because sometimes the younger DC like to play with them while I'm teaching another child, but we've never needed more of them.  

I think what we have is the older blocks. They were about $40 apiece, now the set is $80. We have a 2yo and a 1yo who will be coming up through the ranks, and right now I have not a clue as to what sort preferences they will have. I am certain neither of them will be like their sister who will occasionally plead for a worksheet. :huh:

Even though I no longer use MUS, I still have our block sets. They have come in handy a few times when we needed a lot of blocks, but we certainly don't use them very often.  I have an older sister who did tell me not to get rid of them, as they do come in handy for geometry.  She's homeschooled for a long time, so I'm trusting her judgment.

I'm sure I didn't spend $80!  I just checked and we have about 20 green blocks, 5 of all the numbers (2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9), maybe 8 of the five/blue blocks, 5 100/red blocks, and quite a few of the 10s.  Looking at their site, we must have an older set as well.  I've never needed more, but I will say we haven't done every activity in the book either.  We tend to watch the video and start in on the workbook pages, unless they need more help.  I just remember at the time, there was only one set recommended on their website.  

Personally, since you already have them, I'd check and see what they are selling for used.  Would it be worth selling, or should you keep them for your younger DC?  I tend to hang onto things we already have...by the time you factor in shipping, I don't think you'd make much back.  Since your DC (1 and 2yos) are close in age, they might both want a set to play with when you get to math lessons.

On the other hand, since they are $80 new, a smaller set might sell well!  I also noticed the fraction overlays when up quite a bit in cost too!  And come in a much nicer case...although the price change was really steep! 

Edited by Holly

I'll be the dissenter here. Lol. I not only got the completer set, I have picked up two extra starter sets. I have four kids and they all love to play with the blocks, this way we have enough for everyone. Also, It's been nice to be able to build a couple multi digit multiplication problems. It's not necessary, but it has helped to cement what's going on with all those numbers you are multiplying.

• Like 1