Menu

Homeschooling high school while playing sports

I have twin boys that are currently in 8th grade. They play baseball with a competitive homeschool league. Next year, the level on commitment ramps up at the JV level. They are required to attend practice 4-5 a week. These practices are not late at night, but rather in the afternoons. They are also interested in a political club. However, I'm so concerned how we are going to get everything done. They will be in several online classes with Landry Academy, so those teachers have assignment deadlines that must be met. How do I balance this without stressing them out (and me), but yet keep up with the academic rigor that is necessary for 9th grade?

One idea I had was just to take a longer time to complete those subjects that we do at home requiring us to school in the summer and using Friday's (they don't have online classes on Fridays) as a catch up day for assignments not completed due to baseball games.

Wanted to add, when games begin, they travel some far distances, so at times it requires us to be out of he house by 2pm.

My boys love and need baseball, so I don't want to take this away from them. It is a fun outlet with wonderful other homeschooled boys. But, I also know they desire a college education so I'm trying to be the best mom guidance counselor I can be (:

I don't know your boys, but a few thoughts based on DS15, 9th grade, who has done competitive swimming 2+ hours, 4-5 afternoons a week, for the past 2 years.

- Start your day early. You didn't mention when they get up and start working, but I would expect it to be completely reasonable to finish most work by 2 pm if they get going by 8 am.

- Teach them how to organize and plan, if you haven't already.

- High school is when students begin to get longer-term (versus 1-day) assignments. That 5-paragraph essay will be a nightmare if you wait until the day before it is due to write it. If it is assigned a week ahead of time, set aside time several days that week to make an outline and complete a draft, leaving time the last day for final proofreading, etc.

- High school is also when there will be competing academic priorities - a big test on the same day two other assignments are due. They need to learn to juggle multiple assignments from teachers who don't know or care that they have other deliverables. Some things might need to be done a day or several days before they are actually due.

- Work efficiently. If your DSs aren't already good at organizing their papers on a daily basis, now is the time to tackle that. I found my DS was wasting huge amounts of time trying to find worksheets, notes, etc., that he put somewhere other than the assigned folder.

- Teach them how to use a planner (online or paper) effectively.

- Use car time effectively. Throw on headphones and catch up on assigned reading instead of playing on the phone/iPod.

- Use downtime at events effectively. At baseball tournaments, for example, help them find a quiet place away from their buddies to work between games. Or this might even be a good time to just chill, rather than get worn out goofing around. (Just hanging out with the kids at day-long and weekend-long swim meets exhausts my DS.)

You kids already have an advantage over the others who attend school because they homeschool - no getting ready for school, travel time to school, etc. And like you said, your assignments can be juggled as necessary. It will be fine!

• Like 7

Most high school sports run 2-5ish M-F & Sat practice, plus games. You'll see other teens with the books open on the field/bleechers waiting for the coach to arrive. They do homework on the bus to/from games. Homework on Sunday nights. If they are only playing one spring sport it won't be too bad. Three sports can get hairy.

• Like 2

You can also use the summer time to take one or two full courses (we usually do math year round anyway, so I don't count that), and reduce the course load during the on-season period.  We also school year-round to give us a bit more time for some subjects.

This summer, my oldest two will be finishing up precalculus.  DS is also taking an intensive course in Italian (the equivalent of Italian 2 and half of Italian 3), and DD is taking an intensive in German (German 2).  This will make both of those subjects lighter next year (DD will slow down with German and take German 3 over 9 months, while DS will finish up his Italian course in January, and be able to simply do focused review and test prep from February (during championships) through April.  

We'll be spreading Calculus BC over two years (including the summer), as well.  While the kids *could* finish up Calculus AB in time for the exam, there is no point (IMO) in taking both the AB and the BC exams (especially since the BC has an AB subscore, and most schools award both semesters of Calc for a 5 on BC alone).  So, we'll do a slightly slower pace for Calculus and really nail it ;).  

Normally, during the summer we'd ramp up for the science program as well, but with APES, the concepts and math are already under their belt, so there is no real need -- however, before DD tackles AP Bio in 10th, she'll pre-read her text (taking notes), watch some lectures, and generally get acclimated to what's coming, while DS will review Physics prior to AP Physics C (both sections) in 12th, also pre-reading his texts and watching some lectures.  They won't be doing problem sets and lab work, just mostly letting things "soak in."  Next summer, DS will also need to pre-read for Gov't (Federalist/Anti-Federalist), and for English Lit (2 books).  Probably averaging 3 hours of work a day, while DD will be working ahead in German (hopefully in order to skip German 4 and just head into AP German instead).

By working throughout the summer (even a little), you can reduce the coursework time during the year, taking off some pressure during training and game season.

• Like 1

I have this problem the DD now (she is in eighth grade). She currently horseback rides extensively, and swims in the competitive swim team. I don't know how were going to continue this in high school, and my gut feeling is one of the activities going to have to give, but I can tell you we do a *lot* of weekend work.

Something else to consider is: What subjects can be eliminated or reduced? Do they have music lessons that they don't enjoy just because they've always played piano or mom thinks it's important? Do they REALLY need another full year health course? If they have a job or do volunteer work, can the hours be changed, or anything to reduce or condense travel time? Can household chores be reassigned for example bathroom cleaning and laundry done by the child who needs to do these late at night or at odd times, and dishes be done by a child or person with a more regular schedule?

Also, choose the not-online classes they do using materials with more flexible deadlines or assignments. For next year, look ahead and have them read assigned books over summer or at a slower time for their sport, rather than as assigned to go along with the daily lessons.

My daughter has a crazy schedule during certain times of the year. She is at the public high school part time, takes one or two online classes each year, and does the rest at home. Fall is especially busy with marching band practices, performances and competitions, and the district orchestra practices, which doesn't leave much free time. This past fall she was also taking drivers ed. Since we can't control the pace or work for the online classes, we lessen the work for her home classes during busy times and then double up during the rest of the year, using some of the summer to work ahead before the crazy time hits again.

The past month has also been really busy for her. She was in the orchestra for the school musical, which meant nightly scheduled practice for anywhere from 3-7 hours, including the last weekend 7hrs each day. She is also taking two AP tests next week, so any spare time she has was used for studying. After AP's are done she will take an online lit class for three weeks (Hamlet thru Bravewriter) and we will start chemistry, continuing over the summer and ending around the holidays, with a break during marching season. She is also going to a month-long Spanish immersion camp in June which is equal to a credit (180hrs) of Spanish.

I guess my advice is be as flexible as you can. That can be hard with online classes, which is why we've tried to pick classes that are either asynchronous or delayed, where they watch a lecture on their own time and assignments can be worked ahead depending on our schedule.

Edited by brookspr

This year, both of my boys were doing 9th grade work with some online and co-op classes while playing competitive high school basketball with practices and games 4 afternoons a week and several tournaments and travel games.  Basketball is very important to our family.  It worked out well to do it this way.  Both of them were able to do well in their outside classes while participating in sports.

They will be doing history (at home) this summer.  Also, I only scheduled five academic credits for them (math, science, English, Spanish and history).  Next year, they will have an extra academic credit.  This year was to help them acclimate to high school level work with several outside classes.  It worked out just fine.  Next year, I will again give them the option of bumping history to the summer again, as it is their only at home class with flexible deadlines.  

Edited by texasmama

My 2 tips are flexibility and prioritization.  Ds juggled much during HS years:  1-2 classes at PS, 2-4 classes at CC, a handful of online classes, a few classes at home, basketball with practices and games anytime afternoon/evenings/weekends, weight lifting.  He would have liked to participate in teen court and/or some hs'ing events, but they mostly conflicted with basketball, so they rarely happened.  That said, ds spent plenty of time with video games.  It helped that he is/was a bright boy, though fairly unmotivated during HS years.

For inspiration, read about our experience:

a high school athlete's journey

Good luck!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

My daughter (graduating this year) has always had at least two major sports going at a time; figure skating, with daily practice, plus either cross country running/skiing/track (dependent on season), then her "hobby" sport of trail/mountain racing.

I advise to, if at all possible, minimize the number of classes with scheduled meeting times and/or strict deadlines for work to be turned in. Curricula that can be done easily in the car, away from the computer, and with minimal or no prep time, is ideal.

I advise to, if at all possible, minimize the number of classes with scheduled meeting times and/or strict deadlines for work to be turned in. Curricula that can be done easily in the car, away from the computer, and with minimal or no prep time, is ideal.

I would love to hear which curricula worked best in the car, away from the computer - what worked well for your daughter?

I would love to hear which curricula worked best in the car, away from the computer - what worked well for your daughter?

Not overpeople... but this will depend in large part on planning, and your individual child.

I have a child who cannot read in the car, it makes him carsick.  So, while a textbook reading would work for PonyGirl or PokeMan, I'd be pulling off the road for an emergency stop with LEGOManiac.  

We have laptops and tablets, so some things can go with us.  To this end, we're investing in some SOS curriculum (Geography & health, for example) that can work on the computer vs. needing the internet.  I attempt to plan lectures or audiobooks for LEGOManiac that he can listen to/watch in the car.  We also have a mifi hot-spot, which we can use to do some quizlets or online work, and some (limited) streaming (only in Italy).  DS has also written papers on his laptop while traveling.  Most of our daily car-rides are 30-45 minutes -- which isn't enough time to do huge lessons.  It is usually enough time for one lecture or a significant portion of an audio book reading. The ride home is usually spent eating...

Depending upon the practice schedule, DS may have 2 hours to study waiting for his practices to start.  Other days, he may have an hour.  So, we have to be flexible based upon what's happening on any given day.

It doesn't sound overwhelming to me.  My son had two online classes this year, and an entire distance-learning program through Calvert, and he did competitive swimming 5x per week and also Botball which was Friday and Saturday and more at the end January-end of April.  He also did Oral Reports group once a month and in the fall when there was no Botball, volunteered at Coder Dojo. 

If anything, I still feel like he had barely enough on his plate and I wasn't sure he was getting out enough.  He completed all his work with no issues, and had hours every day to hang out.  He is a Competent Carl, but he's NOT super ambitious or organzied.  He just gets up, starts school, does school, hangs out, etc.

Your boys however, will need to do something in the evening after basketball now and then, or maybe as a routine.  Either studying, or reading assignments, or something like that.  They probably can't fit it all in and still have time to hang out and watch TV etc. in the evening.

Also, it's good for them to exercise this much, not only good for them but necessary as they go through puberty!  If they don't they will be aggressive, grumpy, and they won't sleep well leading to sleep issues and other problems.  Boys need like HOURS per day to be healthy.  Keep them going in the sport.  Sports as you know also teach toughness, perseverance and sportsmanship/fair play.  

They can definitely do it.  I mean I don't always say that.  When a mom says her kids have 6 or 7 commitments in additoin to school I'm one of the first to chime and tell her it's too much and not healthy.  But this sounds reasonable.   :o)

Edited to Add:

They need a checklist or planner

We do not allow any TV at all until 7pm

We do not allow or have distractions during school, for the most part

Make sure their down time is really refreshing.  For most humans, down time should include quiet things, not media distracting things.  But you have to observe and see what really refreshes them and what sort of pumps them up and makes them irritable or distracted (usually video games)

Make sure their schoolwork is streamlined, and they know exactly what is expected

Make sure they get up and get straight to shower, eat, school....not lounging around for hours.  Make sure they wake and go to bed at reasonable times

Make sure they eat healthy so their brains are fueled properly...

Work with them on study skills if you haven't already- flash cards, binders, note taking, how to study, how to plan ahead etc.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Calming Tea

I think other posters have given you some great advice about scheduling and organizing.

I would add that not every kid can work at a breakneck pace, nor is every family desirous of maintaining such rigorous, driven academic schedule. So, take some of the advice you get with a grain of salt. What works for some kids/families. doesn't work for others.

That being said, what you're looking at will not be too difficult to manage, providing you're organized and teach your boys to be likewise. Most high school kids we know (public and homeschooled) have a wide variety of activities and obligations outside of a moderate to heavy academic load. You all can do it!

Which poster on this forum said, "Freshman year is not the same as senior year"? Whoever wrote that, it made a big difference in my perspective. If you talk to parents of juniors and seniors, you'll see that their kids are crazy busy--again, if they're driven and motivated with lofty goals. But freshmen don't typically have the same load inside and outside the classroom, so you'll definitely have time to ease into it with your boys. And, you'll evaluate what is manageable for you and for them, making changes accordingly. That's one of the great benefits of homeschooling!

• Like 1

Start the day early.  Get into a routine.  For some subjects we did block work - DD found she needed 6-7 hours a week for Biology and 8-10 for Calc.  So she would work in 2-3 hour blocks on those subjects, 3-4 days a week.  History and English and PE and her music got worked in around those subjects.  She was usually finished mid-day on Fridays, and had some down time then.

This left her with time for sports, appointments, and extra music practice and she usually got to hang with her friends on the weekends or Fridays.

Not too different from my older, public-schooled kids.