Menu

I'm lacking motivation do actually "teach". Winter doldrums? Burn out?, etc...

Just not sure why but I am just not motivated to teach anymore! Dc do their core subjects in the am mostly independently, ds6 is still giving me major problems about doing his work and so dh deals w/ him at night, haven't even started my Ker on MFW consistently yet. So, here it is the afternoon and my dc sit at the table playing a game together. They are getting along and I'm just not motivated to start Science or History. There is a basket of clothes to fold, re-organizing or supplies (we are totally out of space and it really is frustrating me!), etc. I just want to take a loonnggg nap! How do you motivate yourself to "get going" when you feel like this? I can't afford any more days "off" like this b/c I plan to take some when the baby comes in 2 mos. Help please...or just grant me permission to be lazy today :D

Your scenario sounds soooo familiar, only my ds is 7, same complaints I'm guessing. I usually give them a snack or coloring while reading history. Sometimes we'll change scenery by all four of us sitting on the couch. We are in Minnesota so it is definitely cabin fever/burn-out in February! I leave most of science to dh. But right now it is 2pm and they are watching a video while I am taking a selfish computer break!! Just put one foot in front of the other and ask God to infuse all of you with some enthusiasm, but by all means be lazy today!:D

Your kids are so young that they will not be ruined if they do not have consistent schooling at this age. At this age, "education really is a life." Not all kids go to kindergarten (though it is more common now for most kids to go). And even your six year old can get plenty through games, read-a-louds, good "educational" videos and the occasional independent worksheet.

I think it's the time of year. I'm feeling the same way, and my dd is resisting doing lessons in a big way. I know a lot of parents talk about March being the big burnout month, but since we start our school year in July, we're already there. I've tried introducing some new things for variety's sake, but even that has only helped to a limited degree.

So no real advice, just commiseration. I hope things look up soon for you and yours!

I am in the same boat - it's just the time of year. I am having dd do as much independent learning as possible because she is resisting me. Products like United Streaming, Time4Learning, CLE, and the book basket method are keeping me sane and even content.

At this time of the year we do a lot of unschooling, modified to suit our tastes.

Joy to you!