Menu

Anyone ever have a cyst removed from scalp?

UCF612

I have a subaceous cyst develop on my head. The doctor said it is nothing major but she is going to remove it since it bothers me when I comb/brush/wash my hair. I've never had any kind of anything done to me before (besides child birth) so I'm nervous. I know it isn't major but I'm still getting a knife to the head and stitches. She said it'll be painful for a week or so since they cut nerves. Anyone been through this before and can give me some comforting words?

Edited by UCF612

I had this done about 10 years ago.  I did not have insurance, so I chose to not have anesthesia and just have a local.  In spite of that, it was still no big deal.  I remember it being sore for 2-3 days.  I had had the cyst my entire life and just had it removed at the same time I had a cyst removed from my arm and a few moles removed.  All of this was done with a plastic surgeon in his office.  I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.  

I've had two different cysts removed, neither from my head. They were both done in an office, one was frozen and one cut out. The spot was sore for a couple days in each case. I think you will be ok.

My brother self removed a cyst from his head to save money. I don't recommend that, he ended up with an infection and had to go to the doctor anyway.

Also, don't look for videos of the procedure on YouTube, you can't unsee that.

• Like 1

Yes, I had a small cyst removed from my scalp.  It was really a minor procedure, and I was just a little bit sore for a few days where the stitches were.  The doctor used local anesthesia. 

The best part was when the assistant asked if I would like to see the cyst.  I had been so curious about what it looked like!

• Like 1

Yes, I had this done recently.  The dermatologist numbed the area so all I felt during the procedure was a tugging sensation.  It was quite sore after the anesthesia wore off, and hurt most when I was lying down.  I was told to keep the incision area dry so I wore a shower cap when showering and waited a few days before washing my hair.  I was also told to put Aquaphor on the incision area regularly.  It healed just fine. 

• Like 1

I had a cyst removed a few years ago.   It was almost as big as a ping pong ball and was on the top back portion of my scalp - I have curly hair, so it wasn't really visible, but it really bothered me.   A surgeon removed it in his office under just local anesthesia.  He used staples to close the wound, then removed the staples a week later.   I had to keep my scalp totally dry for 24 hours, then could rinse my hair but not wash for a couple of days.   Taking the staples out hurt a little because it pulled a scab, and I had to be careful not to scrub too hard for a few days after the staples came out.   The only thing I needed for pain after the anesthesia wore off was Tylenol - and I don't think I even needed that after the 2nd day.

Seeing the cyst after it came out was pretty neat.   My kids were sitting in the surgeon's waiting room, and we *almost* had a "homeschool moment" - I was tempted to ask the doctor if my kids could come in and look too, but decided not to.

• Like 1

My 16 year old has one above his eye.  He has had it since birth and it is getting to be annoying now so we will be looking to have it removed this summer.

What kind of doctor did you go to?

I just went to my primary care doctor. Mine isn't visible to others side it is under my hair so a scar isn't a major concern. For one above the eye I'd consult my primary care doctor to get a recommendation for someone that could minimize scarring and would be experienced working on such a delicate area.