Menu

R&S English 5 TM

TX Native

I cannot seem to find the answer to this question in the search box even though I am certain it has been asked and answered 10 zillion times. We are moving from Easy Grammar 4 to R&S English 5 next year. The switch is mostly because I picked up the R&S student book at a great price and like it. Is the TM necessary? I can buy it used online if needed, but don't want to waste money and space if the student book has most of the teaching info to get the student to understand the lessons.

I cannot seem to find the answer to this question in the search box even though I am certain it has been asked and answered 10 zillion times. We are moving from Easy Grammar 4 to R&S English 5 next year. The switch is mostly because I picked up the R&S student book at a great price and like it. Is the TM necessary? I can buy it used online if needed, but don't want to waste money and space if the student book has most of the teaching info to get the student to understand the lessons.

You want the TM. It has answers. You want the answers.

The TM will not give you more information to give to the children. Everything they need to know is right there in their textbooks. There is a scripted oral classtime in the TM, but it only says the same thing that's in the student text. It does add some nice warm, fuzzy face time to something that could be dry, but it isn't necessary.

• Like 1

The TM also had a daily oral review that is not in the student text. This is very useful since the program is mastery. The oral review adds some spiral-ness to the lessons.

Absolutely agreed that you need it to grade the assignments. What a bear it would be to grade without the TM! Don't torture yourself.

• Like 1

AT this point I rarely pull the TM down.  I've been doing R&S since the beginning though and have been through it all with odd.  I do love the oral drill time when there is time. 

So, not its not necessary if you know your grammar well.  But its worth having for the oral time and the answers for the tough ones you want to double check.

• Like 1

If it's your first time doing this level of R&S, then yes, I would recommend the TM. If you've done it before, or are otherwise very comfortable with grammar, then perhaps not.

My second son went through it this year and I didn't look at the TM once, but I've taught this level before. The first time around I definitely needed it!

• Like 1