Menu

Tell me about homeschooling in Georgia

DH was notified today that his company is closing the Memphis office, and they want him in the Atlanta area office (Alpharetta) by August 1.

Not only am I going nuts with the idea of moving that soon-especially since we'll be out of town for most of the last two weeks of June and for several days in July-but it throws all my HS plans for next year into a tailspin.

So, any suggestions? Places to get started? Or maybe a dream school for a middle school-age kid who adores snakes and wants to be a biologist?

It is easy. You fill out a letter of intent. You need to keep records of what you have done and test every three years. There are TONS of co-ops and homeschool classes in the greater Metro area. Your daughter will love the Zoo and other nature centers nearby. 

Alpharetta is a good area. Fulton county has a good library system.

Atlanta traffic is horrible.

Your daughter may like the chattahoochee nature center and the fernbank museum. I love the georgia aquarium.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about herpetology.

I hope your move runs smooth and that you like it.

I googled "Georgia Tech herpetology" and found a couple of people she might try to connect with:

http://www.zooatlanta.org/home/zoo_experts/zoo_expert-director_herpetological_research#ff_s=trfkN

http://www.biology.gatech.edu/people/linda-green

That's definitely a lot to deal with. Sorry it was sprung on you guys like that, but I hope the transition goes smoothly. How's your DD handling the news?

I used to live near Alpharetta. There are some big homeschool co-ops in that area. Some go up to high school and are practically UMS. Not sure if they'd have anything of interest to your DD though  (ETA here's a list)

Classical-based homeschooling is moderately popular there. You'll find WTM recommended options and Latin programs at used curriculum sales, for instance. But the groups are nearly all very conservative Christian.

The AFP library system is okay. Free ILL practically nationwide. Do visit the biannual Cobb County FOL sale, it's awesome.

Edited by SarahW

We've met Joe Mendelson at SSAR meetings :).

I talked to GA DNR, and it looks the permitting process for DD to do her reptile programs for homeschooled kids and keep her snakes is pretty simple (GA has some restrictions that TN doesn't have). We'll also need to find someone to sign off and oversee her research work, which requires a collections permit. It doesn't look hard-but we'll need someone with a GA permit. Her mentor says she has some connections in GA and may be able to set something up.

DH currently has about a 30-45 minute commute, and would like to avoid going any longer. 10-15 minutes is ideal, but Alpharetta house prices are high. We did find one that looks nice in Roswell.

I used to live near Alpharetta. There are some big homeschool co-ops in that area. Some go up to high school and are practically UMS. Not sure if they'd have anything of interest to your DD though  (ETA here's a list)

Classical-based homeschooling is moderately popular there. You'll find WTM recommended options and Latin programs at used curriculum sales, for instance. But the groups are nearly all very conservative Christian.

The AFP library system is okay. Free ILL practically nationwide. Do visit the biannual Cobb County FOL sale, it's awesome.

What is ILL and FOL?

At this point, the next step is a "fact finding mission" (DH's boss's term)- there are three families, all with school aged kids, all who are a little hesitant about committing, so what he's going to try to get approval for is for us to go out and check out options there, before committing. Working remotely is a possibility in the short term, but isn't what they want.

I've joined several homeschool field trip/meet up groups in the area on FB. It certainly looks like there are a lot of options. Right now I'm thinking that we move and just plan to do a lot of field trips, park days, and other more causal stuff next year while we take the lay of the land, so to speak.

I will say...this is ONE way to get out of homeschool group leadership!!

The only thing I'll add to the state regulations comment.  We are required to teach x hours, for y days, in z subjects, and to write the report mentioned and administer testing (Hewitt's PASS test is currently a valid option here).  However, none of this is required to be submitted to anyone at any time.  You are supposed to retain everything for three years, though.  The only thing that is actually reported is the declaration of intent directly to the state.  FWIW, I hope that's helpful.  You seem pretty proactive, so you may have found all that out already.  :)  

Good luck with everything!!  

Does the ACT/SAT count? We have been using talent search testing because it's quick, easy, and useful for outside programs (and, for SAT/ACT, DE). DD is already registered in a TN cover school for next year, and I will probably continue to use their record keeping at least next year.

Anyone live in northern Gwinnett County? It looks like houses there are a little closer to Memphis prices than Alpharetta, and the commute isn't too horrible. How is homeschooling there? Also, DD really needs a cheer/tumbling program, but not full-on All-Star. There doesn't seem to be a competitive rec equivalent to the one she does here. She doesn't want to do pop warner football cheer-she wants the competition component.

Sable Pointe is a reasonable neighborhood in Milton/Alpharetta area.  There are several in Crabapple and Johns Creek areas, too.  Really the zip codes in, around, and bordering Alpharetta are 30022, 30004, 30005, 30009, 30076.  If you stay in those zips you should be fine.

Stingray Allstars Johns Creek (really it is in Alpharetta) is great for cheer, tumbling, and trampoline....all levels. My son was a cheerleader there and he really enjoyed it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We moved from Gwinnett county a few years ago. We loved living in Gwinnett. Northern Gwinnett is really nice. My daughter went Georgia Gymnastics academy. She was pretty young though. We lived in Lawrenceville and my DH worked in Alpharetta. I would not recommend living that far though. The commute took awhile.