Menu

Painful Parent- Adult Child Religious Conflict more widespread today?

TranquilMind

Well, I don't personally believe in Creationism and that God created the animals, but I was under the impression that's what many Christians believe.

There are many, many examples, but one of the big ones is that something like ten percent of sheep are exclusively homosexual and have significant differences in brain anatomy. Male elephants form gay relationships that last for years. Bonobos as a species are completely bisexual.

The wiki on homosexuality in animals links to a lot of research if you want to look into it further. It's not some rare thing. Homosexuality and bisexuality are extremely common in nature. I don't know what exactly you think could have "gone wrong" to cause such a widespread thing across so many species. It's not like dolphins turn gay because they banned public prayer in schools and need God or something.

I really find this whole argument a little confusing.  I realize theer is a subset of evangelical thought that has a rather bizarre position on things like the existence of homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom,

But this is not something that should, from the perspective of long-standing, orthodox Christian theology, be odd or unexpected.  Any more than it would be odd or unexpected for people to be biologically inclined to all kinds of things which are considered to be less than ideal to downright immoral.

It's almost the opposite - one of the significant focuses of moral theology has been to show that this is true for pretty much everyone and explicate how it is that we find ourselves in such a position.  The most basic story in the tradition, that everything else builds upon, is all about that topic.

I find it odd that this appears so seldom in discussions on this topic.

Edited by Bluegoat

Something clearly has gone wrong.

God "created" gay animals now?  I don't think so.  Just because something is found doesn't mean that was God's plan.

Something is found over and over and over and over again.

When things work the way you expect, you say that's God's plan, but when it doesn't, you say it isn't? Listen, you can't have it both ways.

• Like 6

Well, I don't personally believe in Creationism and that God created the animals, but I was under the impression that's what many Christians believe.

There are many, many examples, but one of the big ones is that something like ten percent of sheep are exclusively homosexual and have significant differences in brain anatomy. Male elephants form gay relationships that last for years. Bonobos as a species are completely bisexual.

The wiki on homosexuality in animals links to a lot of research if you want to look into it further. It's not some rare thing. Homosexuality and bisexuality are extremely common in nature. I don't know what exactly you think could have "gone wrong" to cause such a widespread thing across so many species. It's not like dolphins turn gay because they banned public prayer in schools and need God or something.

Probably the fault of the rainbow fish.

• Like 7

It is not just people who are affected by having people close to them who are gay that interpret passages differently. I know a lot of people who interpret those passages and others on completely different topics differently then other people. There was an interesting discussion going in the comments of one of the linked threads. This issue is not the only issue that people interpret differently.

Some people take everything in the bible very literally and others do not think it was meant to be exactly literal. Not everyone is going interpret the meaning of a text in the same way especially one as old as that taking place in a different time. People have lots of different belief systems under many different umbrellas. There definitely are people that used to follow the bible but no longer do because some of the teachings do not line up with their moral compass and for some people that issue might be the one on homosexuality. It is not very loving to me to have someone be born gay and then not let them have a relationship, intimacy or family. Unlike other things mentioned having a same sex relationship does not hurt anyone else.

There are lots of cases of schools suspended kids over things they shouldn't have. In the first instance it is fine to say what your beliefs are. They should not have been suspended. The second instance was not very nice and certainly was shaming when that is the term he chose to wear on his shirt. He was wearing it to make someone feel bad and ashamed. The was not the message of kids wearing shirts accepting their gay peers. I have no problem with a school policy that does not allow wearing things that shame others. I do not think they should be suspended over it.

Kids are not joining organizations to shove it in people's faces. They are looking for people who accept them for who they are. They are probably facing bullying or people who do not accept them or shame them. It is only logical to find a support network.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 3

You did not accuse us of insincerity?

Well, no one friggin' said you did.

You did however say that those who profess to be both believers and supporters of homosexual unions are not using logic and are either full of bull or delusional if they think that their prayer and study of scripture led them to that conclusion.

Which I guess makes me a sincere fool. And, since prooftexting is better than context, 1 Corinthians 1:27 "but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,"

So if I am a fool, I must be right on the money.

No?

There is more to it than that?

Well a hearty no shit.

Someone needs to step away from the thread. It's time when you get that riled up and you start flinging unfounded accusations.

It is not just people who are affected by having people close to them who are gay that interpret passages differently. I know a lot of people who interpret those passages and others on completely different topics differently then other people. There was an interesting discussion going in the comments of one of the linked threads. This issue is not the only issue that people interpret differently.

Some people take everything in the bible very literally and others do not think it was meant to be exactly literal. Not everyone is going interpret the meaning of a text in the same way especially one as old as that taking place in a different time. People have lots of different belief systems under many different umbrellas. There definitely are people that used to follow the bible but no longer do because some of the teachings do not line up with their moral compass and for some people that issue might be the one on homosexuality. It is not very loving to me to have someone be born gay and then not let them have a relationship, intimacy or family. Unlike other things mentioned having a same sex relationship does not hurt anyone else.

There are lots of cases of schools suspended kids over things they shouldn't have. In the first instance it is fine to say what your beliefs are. They should not have been suspended. The second instance was not very nice and certainly was shaming when that is the term he chose to wear on his shirt. He was wearing it to make someone feel bad and ashamed. The was not the message of kids wearing shirts accepting their gay peers. I have no problem with a school policy that does not allow wearing things that shame others. I do not think they should be suspended over it.

Kids are not joining organizations to shove it in people's faces. They are looking for people who accept them for who they are. They are probably facing bullying or people who do not accept them or shame them. It is only logical to find a support network.

Not in disagreement with anything you say here, except the authoritative assumption that people are born gay, so that puts us back with either the bipolar God concept, or the erroneous scripture concept

Something is found over and over and over and over again.

When things work the way you expect, you say that's God's plan, but when it doesn't, you say it isn't? Listen, you can't have it both ways.

Adultery is found over and over again and that's not God's plan. I could think of dozens of situations that occur that are not God's plan.

That pesky free will again.

Edited by TranquilMind

What, exactly, do you think happened to the animals God created? I'm so confused by this statement. I've heard many people refute the comparison of animals being gay but I've not heard one of them say God didn't create them.

Who knows what happens to them after all the toxins in the environment affect them over time.

Look what happened to America thanks to toxins and chemicals - close to 70% are overweight now. Do you think that is normal too, and they all were just born that way? I don't.

Who knows what happens to them after all the toxins in the environment affect them over time.

Look what happened to America thanks to toxins and chemicals - close to 70% are overweight now. Do you think that is normal too, and they all were just born that way? I don't.

Speaking of unsubstantiated scientific claims...wow.

• Like 9

Someone needs to step away from the thread. It's time when you get that riled up and you start flinging unfounded accusations.

While there may be some truth in the first statement (especially considering it is time to sleep) the second is pretty funny.

Unfounded accusations. Huh.

• Like 4