Menu

ELTL question

amyc78

I have a very specific, odd question. I recently bought ELTL Level 3(from someone on this board!) and I'm trying to make it a little more user-friendly and independent for my 4th grader. I have the Text and the Workbook. Since the text is written to the student, I am considering unbinding the Text and the Workbook and rebinding them with each Lesson's workbook pages immediately behind that lesson's instructions from the Text. (Hope that makes sense)…

This would make a HUGE book so I would probably divide it into 3 sections. And I'm also trying to decide if I want to use all the workbook pages or just the exercise pages and let him do the copy work in his commonplace book...

Any thoughts on this?

I would 3 hole punch them and put them in a binder so you can reuse them with your six year old and baby if you wanted.

Idk why but binders make me crazy. Something about a neatly bound spiral that is just so much easier to use...

I don't have my kids do ELTL independently, but we have no issues with just having a bookmark in the text and another in their workbooks. But my preference is for books to have proper spines with the title on it so that I can pick the book from the shelf easily--so I would be hard pressed to decide that cutting the spine off a book to spiral bind it would improve things. 

As for the copywork, I'd only have your student write it from the text into a notebook if you do cut the binding off. I don't think the book lays flat well enough to copy out of it when it has the standard paperback binding.

I keep a post-it tab in their lesson book, and we use a 3 prong folder for their grammar exercises.  I've done the Level 2 books with DD, but my other DC do Levels 4 & 5 mostly on their own.  I have no idea what we'll do next year with Level 3.  

I'd be terrified to cut up a book.  I try my hardest to keep them in one piece so their siblings can use them in the future!   :lol: