Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Xpost- Are your kids glad they took Latin?

Cross posted from HS Board:

For those who have graduated kids or are about to, and you had them take Latin (as in it was your idea, and not necessarily theirs at the beginning) for at least two years, have you ever discussed if they are now glad they did so?

I am just curious. I have found it beneficial over the years, but interested in what the younger generation has mentioned. My dd hasn't taken it. Yet. She's on the fence.

My rising Jr just finished his second yr of Latin. This past year, Latin was his happy place- he loved it! He's open to doing a summer class with me before hitting it hard again in the fall!

• Like 1

My eldest doesn't feel she got a whole lot out of it. She took Latin at home with me and then three Latin classes at the university through dual enrollment and as she was preparing to register for her fourth she realized that she had met all of her foreign language requirements for both high school and college and chose to take something else. She has never come back to it. However, she does not wish she had taken some other language instead. It was just a box to check for her.

My dd 16 took Latin with me for a bit. But her interest is in Asian studies. She dropped Latin for Chinese and Japanese and has never looked back. She plans to start Chinese through dual enrollment this fall. Now dd 12 wants to take Latin. She plans to be a scientist and feels the Latin will definitely be beneficial to her. I signed her up for an online Latin I class this fall. Maybe she will be the one to enjoy and appreciate the language.

• Like 1

We did Latin until high school. At that point, a vote was taken and switching to Spanish won. Eldest dd pitched a fit and switched to Japanese instead, doing it completely alone. Her years of Latin as a youngster don't seem to have much impact. One dd would have preferred to stick with Latin. That dd was thankful for her 3 years of Spanish when she had it in college. Two of the girls have mentioned how much their base in Latin has helped them in their science classes and just vocabulary in general. The boy, it hasn't impacted his life in any manner and probably won't.

Edited by Lolly
  • Like 1

My daughter took Latin beginning in 8th grade in an out of the home class.  She took it for five years including a post-AP year.  She went on to major in Latin (and minor in Geology) at college.  She's now living and working in South Korea teaching English to adults.  She does not regret her Latin studies at all.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

One kid is VERY glad, since she got AP credit for it and thus didn't have to take any foreign language in college. The Latin itself she could have cared less about. In grad school she has taught herself French using various online resources and is quite surprisingly adept at it. Latin was an easy way to achieve her goal, but she didn't care about Latin per se. The French she may actually use someday!

For my other kids. Latin was VERY missable. They don't use it, and they will never use it. Some of the grammar and word roots have been useful, but otherwise it was a "check-the-box" subject.

My dh took 6 years of Latin, and his comment is that it gave him a great understanding of grammar. Period.

But Latin is easy to do at home, and the aceent doesn't matter. If I were homeschooling again, I'd probably do it again.

My oldest is very glad that she did.  Latin clicked with her, and it also helped her with other classes.  She re-kindled a love of learning because of it, and began to study several other languages and etymology.  She LOVED Latin.  It has also helped a lot with learning other languages.

One of my 15yr olds (who graduates next year) also took two years of Latin in high school and is glad she did.  She is headed into a biology related field and Latin has helped a great deal with vocabulary for her.  

Then, on the other hand, my other 15 year old never took it beyond about a semester in middle school, and is so very glad she didn't.  She hated Latin and Greek.  

I think glad is a strong word. Only one of my kids didn't feel just a bit tortured by the subject, LOL. But they have found it beneficial at times.

• Like 1

My son is in 10th grade and when he can't remember a word in Spanish he uses Latin instead.

His teacher is not amused. :)

Edited by gingersmom
  • Like 7

As a scientist, I've never understood this "Latin will be useful for majoring in science" idea.  The only Latin I've ever needed in science was just vocabulary.  And I just learned it as vocabulary.  Except for a tiny bit of grammar when it was pointed out to me that the feminine/masculine endings needed to be the same in species names.  Which I could already relate to because I took French.

In later years, as I've studied some Latin on my own, I still didn't find it was at all helpful in science.

It might be of some use if one wanted to go into history of science, but even there, I tend to think German or French might be more useful.

My two oldest always mention Latin as one of the best things we did through their homeschooling years.   Both of them mention how much their vocabulary was expanded by virtue of all the reading and Latin they did.  In fact, they were both horrified when they realized that I hadn't added in Latin for their younger, middle-school aged brothers last year and convinced me that it was worth it to add it back in!  So, we are all back to doing Latin - LOL!

• Like 2

Only one of my two took Latin, and he is glad that he did.  We studied it together from the 2nd grade through high school.  We went very slowly in the elementary grades, and he finished with Latin 3 & AP with an on-line provider in high school, and got a 5 on the AP exam.  That was enough to essentially test out of 4 semesters of college Latin.  He's gone on to study Italian and has found the background helpful.

As Gwen said, it was easy to do at home.  He realizes now that it helped him in a lot of ways, particularly with vocabulary and writing.  As we got into middle school, I decided that he was learning enough grammar through Latin that he didn't do any other type of formal grammar program.  With the writing, translating the more complex sentences of some of the Latin authors helped him to include more complex structures in his own writing.  As he got into high school and started studying literature, he found the background very helpful as well.  There are a lot of Latin references in classic literature, so knowing the words helps one to read it without having to stop and look things up.  He's also found it interesting in college -- when they were reading Augustine for a class he was taking and were puzzling over the meaning of certain parts, he was able to go back to the Latin and it helped him make sense of it.  There's such a beauty/depth of understanding one gets being able to read something in its original language.

HTH,

Brenda

• Like 1

I am loving Latin myself. I have been a writer for years, but never learned grammar. I am filling in the gaps of my own grammar ed through Latin studies. It's a wonderful feeling! 

Oldest DS was glad that he was able to check the two years in same foreign language box. No further language needed in college. He didn't retain anything . He may remember a word or two of vocabulary. It's pretty disappointing. To be fair, he took a year of Mandarin and a year of Spanish (Rosetta Stone-blech) and didnt retain anything there either. I had higher hopes for the Latin. I think he needed a class with peers.

We went to Rome and my eldest DD was reading this and that, but he was just scratching his head. Dd was glad of her two years because of both Rome trip and her English grammar improvement. I alway heard that Latin isn't spoken except in some churches. Ironically, we are Roman Catholic and have yet to participate in a Latin mass.