Menu

Anyone been to Safari West, or been to Santa Rosa CA?

dancer67

We are thinking about taking our 17 yo dd there. She loves zoology. I have never been to California(out of the country but never to CA!).

If anyone lives in the area or has been to this place, could you give me your thoughts?

What is the weather like out there?

What is there to do there besides the Safari?

I understand it is wine country. But my dd is only 17.

We are on the East coast so this would be a very long flight to only spend a few days there. We would stay about 6 days.

Thank you!

I live nearby.  Safari west is really cool.  The weather here is fabulous October-June. It's pretty hot (but dry) in the summer. But even when it's hot, we have the coastal influence so it can drop into the 50s-60s at night after a 90+ degree day.  That swing makes it very pleasant, you almost always get a chance to cool off at night.

What kinds of things do you like to do? Santa Rosa is ground zero for all kinds of outdoor activities - fantastic hiking, biking, you are close to mountains and not far from the beach.  We have the Russian River if you like kayaking or other water-related activities. Tons of open space, parks and preserves, Lots of great foody stuff - it's not just wine country, it's high-end foody country too, so you can visit goat cheese ranches and other delicious things like that! 

We're also ~ an hour from San Francisco, which needs no introduction.  Would you be flying to and from there? Lots of great options.

Yes, we would be flying in to Santa Rosa.

We are open to anything. We love the ocean, water sports, museums, and food is always a given!

I understand that the Safari is really only a one day thing. So to fly out just for that would be foolish. We would make the most of the time we were there. That is great about SF only being an hour away. I would love to go there as well. I have never been to CA or out west ever. Or my girls. My DH was in San Louis O Bisbo(SP?) for the military years ago.

Are there any specific places you would suggest? Or a nice hotel nearby to the Safari(I know they have accommodations there. But not sure if we want to stay there for the duration.

Since you say the weather is nice(no snow LOL) I was thinking of possibly November. ?

and......

J-Rap, thank you so much for the offer!

Thanks so much ladies!

Safari West is OK, kinda cool to see the animals. November can be either hot or rainy. October maybe a better month. It can still feel like summer. Kayaks can be rented in Jenner. Car Camping at Doran Beach if you make reservations. Bikes can be rented too. Check out local festivals and events. SR is Foodie heaven. Grazing through a farmer's market makes for good eating. 

Yes, we would be flying in to Santa Rosa.

We are open to anything. We love the ocean, water sports, museums, and food is always a given!

I understand that the Safari is really only a one day thing. So to fly out just for that would be foolish. We would make the most of the time we were there. That is great about SF only being an hour away. I would love to go there as well. I have never been to CA or out west ever. Or my girls. My DH was in San Louis O Bisbo(SP?) for the military years ago.

Are there any specific places you would suggest? Or a nice hotel nearby to the Safari(I know they have accommodations there. But not sure if we want to stay there for the duration.

Since you say the weather is nice(no snow LOL) I was thinking of possibly November. ?

and......

J-Rap, thank you so much for the offer!

Thanks so much ladies!

As far as accommodations, that really depends on your budget. I'm not sure where you live, but this is an expensive part of the country. I'm always shocked at how expensive hotels are around here, in any event!  If you stay near the Russian River, like in Healdsburg (which is a small and very walkable town), there are both hotels and B&Bs, and the river is right there, and the restaurants are fantastic, and  you are close to Armstrong Redwoods/Austin Creek state parks, Annandel state park, and many others.  Doran Beach is a nice, protected beach and any of the coastal beaches (i.e. Salmon Creek) are spectacular. November can be absolutely gorgeous, especially at the coast, or it can be rainy.  But rain here isn't like rain other places! It typically doesn't last more than a couple of days in a row.  November isn't huge kayaking season, but any of the other outdoor activities are still active.

In Santa Rosa there is the Luther Burbank Center for the Arts, which has lots of great plays and shows, and hosts an amazing farmer's market year round.  

http://lutherburbankcenter.org/

A fantasy trip of mine is to do the Sonoma Cheese Trail.  But then, I love cheese!

http://www.sonomacounty.com/articles/sonoma-cheese-trail-and-map

Heading south towards San Francisco, there is the Marin Headlands, Mt. Tamalpais, and lots and lots of beautiful country.

San Francisco, of course, could keep you busy for 6 days easy.  Museums, restaurants, parks, beaches.  Usually the weather is quite pleasant in November, not as foggy as it can be in the summer right on the coast.

I agree that fall is a really pretty time on the Coast.  

The North Coast seems to lend itself to roadtripping because some of the beauty is just going along and seeing what seasonal things you happen upon.  Could you spend a couple nights here and then another couple there, for example?  Many of the towns north of SF are really intriguing, unique, beautiful, and worth seeing (including Santa Rosa, IMO) but most tend to be smaller than Santa Rosa and, for most people, I think you're not going to find 6-7 days worth of things doing in any one small town.  To me, the beauty is in seeing the region vs. staying in one spot.

If you don't want to drive a ton, you could use Santa Rosa as a hub and do some day trips to Sonoma, Napa, Petaluma, and also to towns around the SF bay or use 1-2 days in towns around SF (Sausalito and a Bay cruise, for example.)  There is lots of hiking, kayaking, etc., as another poster mentioned.  You can arrange trips for freshwater or ocean/bay kayaking.  Pt. Reyes is a must-see, IMO.  Lots of wildlife and rugged coast mixed with lighthouses and pastoral farms.  

I wouldn't rule out the wine country even though your daughter is 17.  There are a lot of historical and artistic aspects that are interesting to anyone of any age.  In many wineries, there's a lot to see (caves, art, architecture, etc.) that appeals to people who are not wine tasting.  It's very beautiful country and there is a lot to see from an agricultural tourism standpoint (grapes, small farms.)

If, on the other hand, you are not opposed to driving some miles (like 4 hours up), you could consider heading further north to the Lost Coast and the Redwoods.  Obviously a ton of natural, wild beauty, hiking, and majestic trees.  Eureka is kind of a hub for some wildlife enthusiasts, as there is a university there with zoology/natural resources studies, a research vessel for marine biology, and it's surrounded by marshes with visitor centers for bird watching.  You can see some of the best redwoods and elk north of there.  Kind of a haven for a true biologist type who likes spotting and checking out wild things (like my DH.)

You can't go wrong with Santa Rosa as a starting point.  You'll find lots of beauty and fascinating, new experiences on your trip!  The hardest part will be shoehorning it all into 6 days!  :)

• Like 1

I grew up out there. We were just at Safari West recently. It was okay, kind of weird but a fine way to spend a couple hours if you are into that kind of thing. I sure wouldn't go all the way across country for it, but if you are in the area and looking for things to do, why not. I think you have to make advance reservations.

Other people have already mentioned most of the interesting things to do in the area. I'd add Point Reyes to the must do list, and of course the redwoods. Armstrong Woods is about 20 minutes from SR.

The weather in November is usually nice. Expect warm, maybe some rain. I remember always having to wear shorts on thanksgiving and wishing I could wear a sweater.

Eta: kayaking has been mentioned but in November the rivers are probably going to be very low. When we were at the Russian River this past February it was barely a trickle--and that's the height of the rainy season. November, IIRC, is around the start of whale migration season, though. You can often see them from the lighthouse in Point Reyes or there are tour boats that go outvf Bodega Bay/Jenner.

For general planning purposes, Safari West will take a couple hours. A nice day trip is out to Point Reyes, another one is to Armstrong Woods (redwoods) in Guernville and then out to the coast (Bodega/Jenner). If you haven't been to SF, I'd recommend making that a day trip too. Taking the ferry from Sausalito is a fun way to get there with good views if it's a nice day. 6 days will go fast, but you can pack a lot in and a good sense of the area.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

Thank you all so very much!

We are re-thinking about the time of year to go. Also, maybe we will stay in SF and make the drive to Santa Rosa.

I know CA is very, very expensive. Not to much unlike where I live unfortunately. I have been researching places to stay and at least I am not in total shock!

The biggest thing *I* am going to hate is the flight. I hate to fly. And I know this is a long flight. I have only traveled to the Caribbean, and non stop it is only 3 1/2 hours. The only good thing is.... it is not an international flight.

I will probably be back with more questions, but thank you again to all of you for the great info!

• Like 2

The flight isn't bad if you go direct. It's about 6 hours from Boston and you can get in early to enjoy the whole day in SF. My parents fly the red eye when they visit us (so, your return flight), arriving here on the east coast around 8am. That might be something to consider if you can sleep on planes.

I would definitely second making SF your base. SR is close to plenty but the town itself doesn't really offer much for tourists. Prices won't be a surprise if you are already in the northeast, and staying in the Bay Area proper will give you plenty of flexibility for hotels. Public transport is easy in the city, but you'll need a car to get to SR, Pt Reyes, Muir Woods (redwoods near SF), etc. Driving there isn't nearly as bad as Boston etc.

All times of year are good, honestly. Winters are mild and might bring rain, summer will bring heat (dry) inland, fog on the coast. It took me years after moving away to not carry a sweater with me at all times during the summer (although now in Maine I'm back in the habit). The fog can roll in any time of day depending where you are, dropping the temps by 20 or more degrees. It's lovely.

Have fun planning!