Menu

Do you plan to give your children their tax credit, refund or whatever it's called?

lynn

or any part thereof? My sister said she's giving her children all of it to spend "because it's theirs" hmm?:cool: That's the first time I ever heard that. It got me wondering is anyone else giving part or all of the $300 to their child? I guess that would help stimulate the economy...

or any part thereof? My sister said she's giving her children all of it to spend "because it's theirs" hmm?:cool: That's the first time I ever heard that. It got me wondering is anyone else giving part or all of the $300 to their child? I guess that would help stimulate the economy...

Last time I checked, they paid no taxes. Although I'm sure they'd love to stimulate the economy :eek:.

What? How does the tax credit belong to the child? Since when does the child pay taxes? Does your sister realize that $300 will be included in *her own* taxable income for next year? That's craz-eee!

I heard this through my sister that lives near her. I asked if she thumped her up side the head to knock some sense into her... She was just as shocked as I was when she told me. Just when we think L can't get anymore um oh I don't know the exact word to use let's try ignorant she always says or does something to make us think she's a few french fries short of a happy meal. How many webkins would my 8 year old buy his tax refund money?:rolleyes:

we talked about this and decided if we get that $$ then it will be set aside and used for child related expenses. Like shoes that are needed unexpectedly b/c they outgrew the new ones only 6 weeks old ;) Or the yearly memberships to places :p or the 'extra' stuff for a sport or activity they want to do this fall. :D

we have a strict budget and it's usually the kids' unexpected items that throw it in a tailspin, lol. So yes, we plan to set it aside in savings so when I need $60 new soccer stuff I have the money....but clearly if we needed it for something else we would. but yes, it's being set aside marked for the kids' future budget busting items ;)

I wonder why she thinks it is theirs. It is a tax credit and the kids pay no taxes. I guess the credit is *because* of them, but not *for* them.

Last time the kid's got that $400 or so from the government, about 6 years ago (?) I opened a savings acct for each child.. then when things came up that they needed.. like, dance shoes mainly, I would have them take the money out of the bank to pay cash for them. Technically, they had no say in what that money was used for... but I did use it for their personal expenses.

Those accounts are almost empty now.. so I'm thinking about putting this faux refund in there. For dance shoes, camp fees, recital fees, music lessons, whatever. Things I would have normally spent money on anyway.

Yes, I am giving the kids their tax rebates and yes they will be stimulating the economy. To simplify things for my children, so they don't strain anything in their brains, I have selected how they will be stimulating the economy with their money.

Sarah will be stimulating the economy with the purchase of a precalculus curriculum.

Gabriel will be stimulating the economy with the purchase of an algebra curriculum.

Shalom will be stimulating the economy by splurging on another year of unitedstreaming.

Justice has decided to use his to pay for a dual credit class for his big sister.

Well, sorta. If we don't need it for anything else, it might go into their Coverdells.

But I would be hard pressed to call any money that passes through our hands "theirs," with the possible exception of cash gifts from g'mommy that I know she imagines as "theirs." I humor her sometimes.

Well, I'll be the oddball.

My kids get a part of the tax refund each year. They'll also get a small part of this and are already thinking of ways of stimulating the economy :)

However, NO ONE in this house believes they are ENTITLED to it. It is simply something we CHOOSE to give.

And they certainly aren't getting anywhere close to $300 altogether, much less EACH!

What? How does the tax credit belong to the child? Since when does the child pay taxes? Does your sister realize that $300 will be included in *her own* taxable income for next year? That's craz-eee!

Federal income tax refunds are not included in taxable income. State income tax refunds are included in federal taxable income if you itemized in the prior year and received a tax benefit from payment of your state income tax.

To answer the original question, it never crossed my mind to give my kids any part of the rebate. I agree, that's craz-eee! :)

Federal income tax refunds are not included in taxable income. State income tax refunds are included in federal taxable income if you itemized in the prior year and received a tax benefit from payment of your state income tax.

I realize that this is generally true but I was under the impression that this particular tax rebate was to be considered taxable income for next year.

I realize that this is generally true but I was under the impression that this particular tax rebate was to be considered taxable income for next year.

I've not read that anywhere except on the boards here. In the next few days, I should start getting some official guidance at work. The IRS has a webpage up, but there's not much information on it yet. I'll repost later if I can find any official source that says it will be taxable.

We can't not accept it from what I understand (although I think the tax and IRS people were in shock that I was actually asking if I could refuse it). At first, we were considering signing it back over to the government requesting that it be applied toward the national debt. Then we realized that the government that decided to issue the checks in the first place would probably just put it back into the general fund to spend on something else dumb or unconstitutional or something, so we have picked an overseas charity to send our money to... friends of ours who work in Uganda with AIDS relief and agricultural promotion. They could use some supplies.

Our children helped decide where to send the money after we explained why we felt we shouldn't keep it.

Nope, we will be using it to pay down our last debt. But if we would be debt-free, I would consider putting it into their college fund. That would be the only way they would get the money! I would never let a child have $300! What are they going to do, but buy things that will be useless in a year! Talk about teaching your children consumerism!!!(A thread earlier in the weekend)