Menu

Do SOTW 3/4 include American History? Or do I need a supplement for American History?

Porridge

I'm wondering whether SOTW3 (and 4) adequately cover American History. Do you just use SOTW, or do you either a) supplement with additional American History, or b)take a year to study American History separately from SOTW?

If you do either, could you share what resources or specific books worked well for you?

Thanks in advance!

They do cover it, but it is mixed in. What I am doing is rabbit trailing in the American History parts with extra literature and other resources and skimming some of the other parts. All the major wars, land purchases and migrations are covered. There may be a few characters or stories you'd want to add in. I just do this with library books.

For example, the Revolutionary War is only covered in a couple of chapters. I make sure we add several extra resources for this and do some extra projects.

• Like 2

We supplemented a lot. In fact, in the end I used SOTW 3/4 more as background for our American history. Our read alouds and projects were American history focused.

Yes, we ended up doing this too, esp since my kids were younger. American history is what really held their attention.

We used Liberty's Kids and zillions of library books to supplement. 

The first time through in elem school, i felt it was enough.  But enough for us meant all of the above mentioned things that we did for most chapters anyway: read alouds, lots of picture books, non fiction books, related videos, mapwork, biographies, etc. We memorized the presidents and the states using YouTube video songs.

This time around for middle school, I picked an activity or two from SOTW sometimes, and read some of the chapters aloud as one of our readalouds.  But we went way deeper into each subject.  I spent 2 months on the Revolutionary War and Constitution and bought a Jackdaws portfolio for that.  I spent One month on Native Americans, 2.5 on Civil War and Renconstruction, 1 on WWI, 2 on WWII, (while reading chps from SOTW for the inbetween stuff and for what's happening in other countries, but not doing much work with those.) We've done state history simultaneously.  So for each of those major subjects, we also created a state history notebook, read books on what was happening here, done field trips, etc.  I didn't feel it was enough for 6th and 8th grade AM. History. This was a good year for us doing it this way.  They have memorized speeches and quotes.  They do at least one outline a month and write 1-2 summaries on a subject of their choice from the topic.  They wrote speeches for co-op and performed them on some of it. Their literature corresponds.

We're going to use Memoria Press' American history materials for next year.  They have a great flashcard set (200 Questions about American History), Guerber's Story of the Thirteen Colonies and the Great Republic, and some American history reader sets by grade level.  They also schedule in some SOTW 4, and the rest is read over the previous summer.  I would think you could schedule these materials over 2 years, alongside SOTW 3 & 4.  We'll just be using it as-is, maybe adding in some of the SOTW readings if time allows.

• Like 1

We skipped SOTW4 the first time around & did a year of American history. We used the Complete Book of US History for a spine and added American Girl books & lots & lots of the Sonlight readers.

My dd#2 is on her second time around through the rotation & we spent extra time & resources on certain topics, mostly the wars (Civil & the two World Wars). My youngest two are going through A Child's First Book of American History.

There is a lot of US stuff in SOTW3 & 4, but it also covers some things very superficially, as a world history survey has to just for space & time reasons.